Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Let's see what Ford says, took 5.0 in today for transmission and engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/11, 07:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's see what Ford says, took 5.0 in today for transmission and engine tick

First off the car has 11,500 miles.

I have had the car since last November and all last winter I dealt with the "cold shift" issue as I was told it was normal. But once I found the TSB on it I decided I wanted to get it in and at least get it documented.

I also have been having increasing transmission whine over the last 2,000 miles that is very noticeable in 1st, 2nd and most fo 3rd. So I am having them look at that.

And I am tired of going through drive through or at a stop light and hearing my car tick like it has 100k miles on the engine, so I told them to look into that also.

I am not one to complain but after sitting back and watching all the posts on here and videos of other's issues I figured I needed to at least get it documented.

Luckily I sent Deysha an IM before I took it in with to document my issues with her and give her my VIN and dealership info, And yesterday I actually got a call from a Ford Customer Service rep who has already contacted my dealership and will be following up after the service, so that makes me hopeful.

Update to come
Old 9/20/11, 07:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No problem, you should bring it in for everything wrong that is what warranties are for.
Old 9/20/11, 10:02 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is exactly why i went with the auto this time, ive never had the misfortune of seeing how bad the new manuals are. But i can u my 02 was so bad, then when trying to shift into 2nd (esp in colder temps) my entire center console would vibrate.

I had to go into neutral first and then second, i got to ap oint i never wanted to drive my own car, after 6 yrs of owning it 40k miles. I also wanna point out i did have the tsb performed which made the 2nd gear shift better, but it also then made 3rd the new problem.
Old 9/20/11, 11:41 AM
FR500 Member

There is a TSB out to reprogram the PCM for the tick, which is supposed to reduce the noise, though not eliminate it completely.
Old 9/21/11, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Well took it in

1.) They changed the fluid per the TSB for the cold condition shifts, shifting does seem a bit smoother now, but will see how it feels once the temp gets much colder.

2.) The Service Manager (my 2nd cousin) took the car out for a drive and said he definitely hears the transmission whine but doesn't want to go tearing into the transmission until he has a chance to drive another 5.0 6spd to see how it compares. He said he should have one coming in for service in the next couple days or a new one when it gets on the lot. I am on the fence about this as this just does not sound normal to me, it almost sounds like a supercharger winding up on the transmission.

3.) The engine tick he told me is normal as it is the injectors and the electrical solenoids that control them that are making the ticking noise. So it sounds like I have to live with it.

Mainly I wanted to get the car in and get this all documented while under warranty in case the transmission or something decides to grenade on me.

Last edited by Grifftech; 9/21/11 at 08:33 AM.
Old 9/21/11, 09:33 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Grifftech
Luckily I sent Deysha an IM before I took it in with to document my issues with her and give her my VIN and dealership info, And yesterday I actually got a call from a Ford Customer Service rep who has already contacted my dealership and will be following up after the service, so that makes me hopeful.
Originally Posted by Grifftech
Well took it in
Mainly I wanted to get the car in and get this all documented while under warranty in case the transmission or something decides to grenade on me.
Thank you very much for the update, Grifftech! if you need me again, just shoot me a PM.

Deysha
Old 9/30/11, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cbaty08
Tell your 2nd cousin others are having trannys replaced on the whine alone; Ford FSE wouldn't tell me what the whine was, but did make note that it clearly isn't right and a new tranny is the only way to fix it.

Good luck.

Also I should tell you that tick isn't normal either.. don't settle for the BS meal they are feeding you!!!!

Read this thread here and there are parts listed for what you need to fix that **** tick: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...med-up-25.html

Do you know what the parts are for the tick fix? That thread is huge

I also spoke to the Service Manager today and he said the local Ford Engineer said they are investigating the issue and he mentioned something about the way the gears are cut and rubbing or something.

Since he is family I am trying to hold back my anger and frustration with this. But I will be following up again in 2 weeks.

And hopefully then I will have some mroe info on this tick and tell em they need to put a new tranny in or something.