Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Issues and GREAT CS by Ford

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/13, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues and GREAT CS by Ford

I have had a rash of small issues develop over the past few months of ownership. These are centered mainly in the rear end.

1. Increasing whine from rear end - update below
2. squeaking over ramps/bumps
3. Increasing clunk/bang upon slow speed clutch engagement

I brought my car, with 10,000 miles on it, into the dealership I bought it from (Autonation Ford/Power Ford of Tustin) and disclosed my upgraded suspension pieces. They said they couldn't warranty the squeak because of the upgrades (all quiet WL bushing, btw). I told them it's likely the rear sway bar bushings. They said they'd look into it, but can't really do anything about it. I told him that stiffer springs take stress from the stabilizer bars, so it not the issue.

They told me the whine was not normal, though some diffs with 373s exhibit some, as we all know. They ended up ordering a new ring/pinion. They also told me the banging noise when engaging/disengaging the clutch is normal. Basically, they wrote it off an dismissed it. They sent me home saying that they will call me when the parts arrive.

On my way home from the dealership, I noticed a scraping sound. Once I arrived, I exited the vehicle and looked about beneath the car. Midway down by the area they were inspecting, there was a plastic shield that was hanging down - it wasn't fastened. I was irate. I drove back to the dealership in lunch hour traffic to find that the technician that worked on my car had rushed off to the lunch room. NO.

They drove the car back and found that the shield had broken and a replacement needed to be ordered. There was no way that I would ever let this dealership touch my car again. Buttoning this shield up is the last part of the operation before delivering it back to the owner. If they can't get this simple part right, then there is no way I will ever trust them to perform anything of complexity on my car.

I ended up speaking to a friend who told me that his buddy owns a modded 13 GT and gets it serviced at another local dealership, Tuttle-Click. It was only another 10 miles away. At this time I also reached out to Ford CS, who proved to be very helpful and helped restore some piece of mind. My CS Manager called Tuttle-Click on my behalf and within minutes a Service Manager called me to set up an appointment.

After meeting him, he did something that no adviser ever did at the other dealership; he said, "Let's go for a drive." I told him he can drive and I'll ride shotgun. He thoroughly tested the car in all the scenarios that I mentioned elicit these noises. Here's what he said:

1. He couldn't hear the whine bc we weren't at highway speeds, but he will definitely check.
2. The clunking/banging in the drive line is not normal - "It sounds like the drive shaft is loose."
3. He heard the squeaking noise.
4. Let's get you a rental car.

After the first 24 hours, he called with an update - the rear diff is leaking. His heavy line guy is slammed, but he will get to it. He isn't rushing off to swap the ring and pinion because he believes they may find other issues with the rear end once it's torn down and inspected. He said the other dealership didn't even break it open to look at it.

Another thing he said is that they placed microphones under the chassis and it appears that the squeaking is coming from my aftermarket parts, but he can't be certain. He said that I'll be charged to a fee to fix the noise if it turns out that it is the case, otherwise, it will be warrantied. He said since they have to remove some of those pieces to get to the pumpkin, they can likely fix it upon reassembly.

How refreshing is that? A reasonable guy. It is totally reasonable - and I expect to pay to have something I caused fixed. At least this dealership was open to trouble shooting the issue and not writing off the suspension entirely. As I type this, I am still waiting for my car to be finished, but I am a patient man when I know it's in good hands. I'll be rocking the Chevy Impala they are renting for me in the meantime. It's only making me long for my GT. I'll update you guys when I get word on the drive line and other issues. Thanks again for the great CS, Dey!

UPDATE:
Tuttle-Click is replacing all contents of the rear diff.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 12/20/13 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12/21/13, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad they are fixing things for you. My experience with Ford CS so far has been the opposite(excluding Deysha) So far I'm not impressed.

Wayne
Old 12/24/13, 01:32 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fdesalvo
I have had a rash of small issues develop over the past few months of ownership. These are centered mainly in the rear end.....

Thanks again for the great CS, Dey!

UPDATE:
Tuttle-Click is replacing all contents of the rear diff.
Thank you for the kind words, fdesalvo!

Originally Posted by 70monte
I'm glad they are fixing things for you. My experience with Ford CS so far has been the opposite(excluding Deysha) So far I'm not impressed.
Let me know what you’re next move will be, 70monte.

Deysha
Old 12/24/13, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Frank - I'm glad to hear that your car is being taken care of. I don't doubt that other than the problems you are living it. I sure love mine. We drove it 2,700 miles to Texas for Christmas and averaged 29.76 MPG for the trip here.
Old 12/24/13, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Thank you for the kind words, fdesalvo!

Let me know what you’re next move will be, 70monte.

Deysha

I will. Thanks.

Wayne
Old 12/26/13, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 70monte
I will. Thanks.

Wayne
No problem.

Deysha
Old 12/30/13, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that is an awesome story! Congrats on finding a keeper (dealership)!

I'm in progress of finding mine now... I've tried a few and the latest has been good so far.

Good luck with everything though!
Old 12/30/13, 08:36 PM
V6 Member

How is it that I read all of these stories but the best Ford does for me is tell me to pound sand?

Glad the OP got it handled.
Old 1/4/14, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Update: rear end totally rebuilt. New driveshaft ordered. They said the clunking is not normal.

Car has been in the shop almost 2 weeks. Can't wait to get it back.
Old 1/6/14, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stocktastic
How is it that I read all of these stories but the best Ford does for me is tell me to pound sand?

Glad the OP got it handled.
I’m happy to get this reviewed for you, Stocktastic. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Update: rear end totally rebuilt. New driveshaft ordered. They said the clunking is not normal.

Car has been in the shop almost 2 weeks. Can't wait to get it back.
Thanks for the update, fdesalvo.

Deysha
Old 1/9/14, 11:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Solved! Started new thread to keep it sweet and serve as resource for others. Thank you, Deysha - you were the reason this was taken care of.
Old 1/10/14, 06:43 AM

Solved! Started new thread to keep it sweet and serve as resource for others. Thank you, Deysha - you were the reason this was taken care of.
Awwwe! Glad to learn everything has been taken care of for you, fdesalvo! Now go enjoy your car.

Deysha