Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

I just looked at my service sheet, and the oil change seems wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/11, 01:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just looked at my service sheet, and the oil change seems wrong.

Alright so I'm looking at the service sheet right now for last week's oil change and it says 6 under quantity for 5w-20B. Does this mean the tech. put 6 quarts of oil or he put 6 containers that equal to 8 quarts. I have 3200 miles on the car and I got this first oil change from the dealer for free. According to the oil gauge it looks fine, the needle is between L and H, a little closer to H. Should I get ANOTHER oil change and have them put 8 quarts? should I just leave it the way it is?
Old 9/24/11, 01:17 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You should call the dealer and ask them what the form they gave you means. The service staff should be more the willing to double check things for you.
Old 9/24/11, 04:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
Alright so I'm looking at the service sheet right now for last week's oil change and it says 6 under quantity for 5w-20B. Does this mean the tech. put 6 quarts of oil or he put 6 containers that equal to 8 quarts. I have 3200 miles on the car and I got this first oil change from the dealer for free. According to the oil gauge it looks fine, the needle is between L and H, a little closer to H. Should I get ANOTHER oil change and have them put 8 quarts? should I just leave it the way it is?
Sounds like another inept parts guy charged out the same 6 quarts he probably charges on every LOF

I have one of those at my place.

He charges 5 quarts on almost every LOF, unless it's a V8 when he charges 6

The new 5.0 is an 8-qt engine, and he heard from me already on the first couple of changes we've done on new 5.0-equipped F150's / Mustangs.

Just yesterday I had an issue with him only charging 5 qts on an Edge LOF (they take 6), and only 6 qts on a 5.4-3V F150 LOF (they take 7)

So as the Advisor closing the repair order, I have to be the one paying attention to pause what I'm doing, back out of the R.O., call the Parts Dept to have them charge out the correct amount, then get back into the R.O. and finish what I was doing.

Annoying as hel| but I do what I have to do to make sure the receipt shows the correct amount and type of oil used for the change.

The techs all know the correct amount and type.

The parts guys, well, there's a lot of room for improvement ....

Old 9/24/11, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

There is nothing wrong here so don't panic. I have had 3 oil changes done at my dealer and I asked about this also having checked the sheet to see what they had done.

They know it takes 8 qts, they put in 8 qts. The 6 you are seeing is just a default in the service program Ford use NOT an actual amount used. Like you, the dip stick etc., read fine, there is no cause for concern.

Look at another thing to, only get charged for enviromental fee on 6 qts not 8 !!
Old 9/24/11, 06:48 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to the oil gauge???

You don't check the oil by looking at the "oil gauge", you check the oil by looking at the dipstick.

And the "oil gauge" is not a true oil pressure gauge anyway, just a glorified idiot light.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 9/24/11 at 06:50 AM.
Old 9/24/11, 07:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
There is nothing wrong here so don't panic. I have had 3 oil changes done at my dealer and I asked about this also having checked the sheet to see what they had done.

They know it takes 8 qts, they put in 8 qts. The 6 you are seeing is just a default in the service program Ford use NOT an actual amount used. Like you, the dip stick etc., read fine, there is no cause for concern.

Look at another thing to, only get charged for enviromental fee on 6 qts not 8 !!
There is no default.

The Parts guy has to charge out the oil filter and the type/amount of oil that is being used for the change.

The filter is given out over the counter by the parts guy.

The oil is usually dispensed from bulk containers in the shop.

The tech goes to the bulk container and pumps out the amount he needs into his portable smaller container that he then takes back to his bay to pour into the engine.

Some of our bays have dispensers coming from the roof that the tech can use to pump oil right into the engine, and the handle has a metering device built-in so that he knows how much oil he's pumped, metered in tenths of a quart, so he could put in 5.3 or 6.5 or 7.7qts or whatever the engine takes.
Old 9/24/11, 07:46 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

You don't check the oil by looking at the "oil gauge", you check the oil by looking at the dipstick.

And the "oil gauge" is not a true oil pressure gauge anyway, just a glorified idiot light.
+1. I wad reading down the comments and was wondering if someone was going to point these two important facts out
Old 9/24/11, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Plus one. Pull the dipstick and see if your low on oil. I betcha they only put 6 quarts in because that is what the 4.6 held. I would give the dealer a call also. It wont hurt anything but it is aggravating.
Old 9/24/11, 08:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Gabe

There is no default.

The Parts guy has to charge out the oil filter and the type/amount of oil that is being used for the change.

The filter is given out over the counter by the parts guy.

The oil is usually dispensed from bulk containers in the shop.

The tech goes to the bulk container and pumps out the amount he needs into his portable smaller container that he then takes back to his bay to pour into the engine.

Some of our bays have dispensers coming from the roof that the tech can use to pump oil right into the engine, and the handle has a metering device built-in so that he knows how much oil he's pumped, metered in tenths of a quart, so he could put in 5.3 or 6.5 or 7.7qts or whatever the engine takes.
Not 100% true at my dealer the advisor charges out the oil unless its warrentee the parts guy charges out the filter and brake cleen if nessary
Old 9/24/11, 08:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2012 grabber blue gt
Not 100% true at my dealer the advisor charges out the oil unless its warrentee the parts guy charges out the filter and brake cleen if nessary
I guess my dealership we're a little fancier than that and let the parts guy do it all ...

Fine by me, since with 2 advisors now doing 3 advisors' job, a cashier's job, a receptionist's job and sometimes a lot guy's job, it's enough for me.

People keep leaving/being fired/whatever, and not being replaced.

I'm so sick of the BS going on in the place, and they give Assistant Manager titles to the people they want to give raises to, but can't figure out a way to give them a raise otherwise, without giving all the advisors a raise too ...
Old 9/24/11, 09:09 AM
Cobra R Member

How is the dipstick level?
Old 9/24/11, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough
How is the dipstick level?
i just checked the dip stick level. The oil looks like it is at the second hole. I checked 3 times and same thing, the oil covers everything from the 1st hole to the 2nd hole. Does this mean there is too much oil or did the dealer really put 8 quarts?
Old 9/24/11, 10:36 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

It's fine
Old 9/24/11, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

here is the service paper. under quantity it says "6" 5w 20B
Old 9/24/11, 11:06 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Lol calm down man. Your fine.
Old 9/24/11, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

alright then, I just read posts on here where the dealer put in less oil on top of the engine burning oil so they end up with like 2,3 quarts of oil and the engine makes horrific noises. just being sure, thx for the replies
Old 9/24/11, 11:34 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heck, it even tells you how to check the oil in the owners manual.

Oh, wait, that's right, nobody bothers to read their owners manual...
Old 9/24/11, 11:42 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Heck, it even tells you how to check the oil in the owners manual.

Oh, wait, that's right, nobody bothers to read their owners manual...
What's an owners manual??
Old 9/24/11, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I open the hood, check the oil, and make sure the cap is on, plus a general once over every time before I accept the car from the service dept. Just an easy routine.
Old 9/26/11, 06:23 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Alright so I'm looking at the service sheet right now for last week's oil change and it says 6 under quantity for 5w-20B. Does this mean the tech. put 6 quarts of oil or he put 6 containers that equal to 8 quarts.
Hey Will3212,

It sounds like the level is fine, but I do recommend you speak to your dealer about this and make them aware of the situation. You can also have them double check your oil levels to make sure all is good with your ride.

Deysha

Quick Reply: I just looked at my service sheet, and the oil change seems wrong.