Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Gearbox noise?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/12, 12:39 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gearbox noise?

For those of you with manual transmissions -- is your gearbox noisy? I get a fair amount of clattering and metal-on-metal noises sometimes when I'm shifting into or out of gear. Usually about the time that the gears engage when I'm pulling the clutch out or when pushing the clutch in to disengage. For all I know this might be a normal characteristic for a car like this; I've driven trucks and such with standard transmissions in the past but this is first time I've drivin a fast car with a stick. Is this par for the course?

Last edited by Skandocious; 9/3/12 at 12:49 AM.
Old 9/4/12, 03:02 PM
GT Member

I also get a clanking or slapping sound when I engage the clutch into neutral or when shifting. I think it's from the clutch. It is not consistent though.

And I have crunching sounds when i shift to 1st through 4th gear. But again, it is inconsistent.

Sometimes it's quiet. and sometimes it makes those noises. I have learned to live with the noises. It does not affect performance, AFAIK. I have not made any mods other than mufflers and oil separator. So in the event that something catastrophic does happen, it's still under warranty.
Old 9/4/12, 09:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mirad_GT12
I also get a clanking or slapping sound when I engage the clutch into neutral or when shifting. I think it's from the clutch. It is not consistent though.

And I have crunching sounds when i shift to 1st through 4th gear. But again, it is inconsistent.

Sometimes it's quiet. and sometimes it makes those noises. I have learned to live with the noises. It does not affect performance, AFAIK. I have not made any mods other than mufflers and oil separator. So in the event that something catastrophic does happen, it's still under warranty.
Yeah part of my concern is that I've got an MGW shifter on order... And if these noises DO turn out to be an issue, the dealership will certainly try to blame the shifter...
Old 9/5/12, 09:07 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Skandocious
For those of you with manual transmissions -- is your gearbox noisy? I get a fair amount of clattering and metal-on-metal noises sometimes when I'm shifting into or out of gear.
Originally Posted by Mirad_GT12
Hi Skandocious and Mirad_GT12,

I’d like to escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area. I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, best daytime number, and the concern your vehicle is having so I can help.

Deysha
Old 9/7/12, 10:50 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also get the metal on metal noises since purchasing the car when engaging/disengaging. Today I reached my limit with the noise level though. It can be heard from the outside of the car when driving in a parking lot. It sounds like an old car. I am going to call the dealer to take a look at it as I am very disappointed. I have never heard a manual car as noisy as this one with only 5,000 miles. I know exactly what the OP is talking about at least it's just not me. The dealership I purchased the car is pretty far from me anyone know if I can go to any Ford? If I knew the transmission would be this sloppy in this car I would not have purchased it. My 1995 Eclipse GS-T with 160k miles (60k mi. which were in the 350hp range) shifted so much quieter/smoother than this.

Thanks, Good luck

Last edited by Xtian85; 9/7/12 at 10:54 PM.
Old 9/8/12, 02:43 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Xtian85
I also get the metal on metal noises since purchasing the car when engaging/disengaging. Today I reached my limit with the noise level though. It can be heard from the outside of the car when driving in a parking lot. It sounds like an old car. I am going to call the dealer to take a look at it as I am very disappointed. I have never heard a manual car as noisy as this one with only 5,000 miles. I know exactly what the OP is talking about at least it's just not me. The dealership I purchased the car is pretty far from me anyone know if I can go to any Ford? If I knew the transmission would be this sloppy in this car I would not have purchased it. My 1995 Eclipse GS-T with 160k miles (60k mi. which were in the 350hp range) shifted so much quieter/smoother than this.

Thanks, Good luck
You can take it to any dealership. Let me know what you find out -- I'm dealing with another issue right now (creaking lower control arm).
Old 9/8/12, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

You can take it to any dealership. Let me know what you find out -- I'm dealing with another issue right now (creaking lower control arm).
I'm getting both my lower control arms replaced at the dealer this upcoming Monday. This is the 4th repair attempt for these creaky/squeaky control arms.
Old 9/8/12, 05:20 PM
V6 Member

wow ^ 4th! They are going to take a look at my car on Wed. and I'm going to try another GT to see if it makes the same noises.
Old 9/8/12, 06:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Will3212
I'm getting both my lower control arms replaced at the dealer this upcoming Monday. This is the 4th repair attempt for these creaky/squeaky control arms.
Youch... They put the new parts from the TSB on all those times?

I wonder if the bushing are serviceable... If so then perhaps some polyurethane bushings are in order...
Old 9/8/12, 06:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I seem to be getting a lot of these noises as well. I always thought it was either me, or these were just noisy since my 08 sounded similar.
Old 9/10/12, 08:42 AM
V6 Member

Just asked my service advisor about the gearbox noise when I dropped the car off for the TSB -- he basically finished my sentence. He was familiar with the gearbox noise and said its normal for these Tremec transmissions. The Borg Warners that Ford used to use were quieter but couldn't handle the kind of power that the new stangs are putting out. He said it won't get better and might even get worse, but it's nothing to worry about.

I also found out that he builds hot rods so I trust his opinion a bit more now

Last edited by Skandocious; 9/10/12 at 08:56 AM.
Old 9/12/12, 12:39 PM
V6 Member

Mine is at the dealer now, they said it sounds like a throw out bearing. Waiting for their call.
Old 9/12/12, 01:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Xtian85
Mine is at the dealer now, they said it sounds like a throw out bearing. Waiting for their call.
A bad/burned-out throwout bearing would generally squeal. Can you describe your noise?
Old 9/12/12, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just asked my service advisor about the gearbox noise when I dropped the car off for the TSB -- he basically finished my sentence. He was familiar with the gearbox noise and said its normal for these Tremec transmissions. The Borg Warners that Ford used to use were quieter but couldn't handle the kind of power that the new stangs are putting out. He said it won't get better and might even get worse, but it's nothing to worry about.

I also found out that he builds hot rods so I trust his opinion a bit more now
Do you have Tremec transmission in your car? What car do you have?
Old 9/12/12, 10:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy49
Do you have Tremec transmission in your car? What car do you have?
Holy smokes I just looked it up -- it's a a Getrag. So apparently he had no idea what he was talking about... Dammit...
Old 9/16/12, 08:33 AM
V6 Member

So the dealer held my car for a day. They told me they are waiting for "Ford Hotline" and that they didn't do anything because ford said it's normal. I will add to this post when I get on the pc.

Last edited by Xtian85; 9/16/12 at 08:37 AM.