Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Ford won't warranty LCA squeak

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/14, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford won't warranty LCA squeak

Well I installed Koni struts and Steeda shocks. Ford is now claiming my LCA squeak is actually coming from my new springs and struts, which obviously it's not, seeing as the noise was there before the upgraded suspension.

The same dealership made an attempt to fix the squeaky LCAs before, with no luck.

Should I escalate with Corporate? Should I try a different dealer? How about installing the stock suspension and taking it back?

I'll take any advice. This is getting ridiculous with Ford, and I'm an unhappy customer at this point. Starting to regret not getting the Chevy. They never gave me problems before.
Old 5/8/14, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically, if you modify components (read: suspension parts) the manufacturer can and will try to deny warranty claims on the entire suspension portion of your warranty. That will be a LONG and drawn out fight, but if you have the will - fight for it.

We have a similar issue at the BMW store where I work right now. BMW will not warranty a suspension issue on a 2011 BMW 328i Sedan because the owner simply put lowering springs on the car (about a 1/2" drop).

You think Ford is tough? Try fighting the Germans...

Last edited by Cristoff; 5/8/14 at 07:40 PM.
Old 5/8/14, 08:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Im getting that rearsqueak also. It can't be the brakes with only 9k on the OD?

Is there a thread about this somewhere?
Old 5/8/14, 08:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cristoff
You think Ford is tough? Try fighting the Germans...

Yeah, I believe it. I use to own a 325i, so I can imagine.

I'm definitely prepared to fight this, if not for principal alone.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a warranty can not be voided/refused because of aftermarket components, unless those aftermarket components caused the damage to the OEM components needing repair.

I just find I pathetic, but not surprising, that Ford is now blaming the squeak on the new parts when there has been 4 different TSBs for the LCAs. The first warranty repair only fixed the squeak for about 40 miles.

Perhaps I should just dump the A-arms and just Heim Joint it? Definitely a plan for the future.

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Im getting that rearsqueak also. It can't be the brakes with only 9k on the OD?

Is there a thread about this somewhere?
You sure it's squeaking in the rear? This common squeak is in the front lower control arms. It's actually the hydro bushings inside making noise. If you search this "Warranty and Service issue" section, you'll see more threads about this issue.

Last edited by KushBandit; 5/8/14 at 08:43 PM.
Old 5/8/14, 11:21 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Contact the Ford rep on this forum (Deysha) or FoMoCo Corporate. Throw TSB # 13-7-8 in their face. Take it to the Ford Service Manager. They have to fix it. IMO
Old 5/9/14, 12:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Contact the Ford rep on this forum (Deysha) or FoMoCo Corporate. Throw TSB # 13-7-8 in their face. Take it to the Ford Service Manager. They have to fix it. IMO
They fixed mine with the newer TSB 13-9-3 about 3 weeks ago. I have the latest "D" arms with heat shields. Deysha has already escalated the problem for me as well, but I know it's in vein since I'm picking the car up tomorrow and they didn't fix the issue.

I mean, is Ford really "Fix Or Repair Daily"?

They said they couldn't reproduce the sound, which tells me they didn't drive it, as it squeaks until I hit approximately 40mph. This dealer didn't tell me that they were going to keep my car for 2 days when I dropped it off Tuesday. Didn't even offer me a Rental. Disappointed, but not surprised.
Old 5/9/14, 05:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you look close at the OEM bushings you can see they aren't meant to rotate, they get their movement from stretching the rubber.

At ride height they are at the center of their movement, if you lower they get twisted and have less movement, could be the issue.
I don't see many people stick with OEM LCA's but when they do it's good to loosen, let them rotate to where they want to be at the new ride height then tighten them back up.

That is the only reason I could think they are blaming your new suspension pieces.

Last edited by fdjizm; 5/9/14 at 05:07 AM.
Old 5/9/14, 06:52 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'd just get new LCAs to go with the new springs and shocks.
Old 5/9/14, 10:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OP is probably talking about noise from the front end, from the hydro-bushings in the a-arms, from the hot weather. That's my guess.
Old 5/9/14, 10:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Sounds like the dealership is just not trying very hard, especially now that they're seeing aftermarket parts in there, they're just washing their hands of it.

Definitely contact Deysha and go further up the ladder ...
Old 5/9/14, 10:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
Sounds like the dealership is just not trying very hard, especially now that they're seeing aftermarket parts in there, they're just washing their hands of it.

Definitely contact Deysha and go further up the ladder ...
I have a good buddy who was a mechanic for a car dealership and mechanics and majority dealerships date warranty work. The warranty work doesn't pay crap to the dealerships or mechanics to fix issues under warranty. This is not just Ford but many car manufactures have the say system when it comes to warranty work.
There are two separate billing books.

Ford and other manufactures pays the dealerships half the hours to fix warranty issues that a regular customer would pay to fix the same exact issue but not under warranty.

That's why dealerships and mechanics hate warranty work. They look for any reason to get out of doing warranty work.
Old 5/9/14, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually we prefer warranty work. Its promised money instead of having to fight with customers over costs. The warranty labor rate is normal about 65% of the customer pay labor rate though. Also. TSB's do NOT HAVE to be fixed. Service Bulletins are customer satisfaction points, recalls are the only thing that HAVE to be fixed. I would say if its a known issue the dealer is being dickish by not performing the TSB if you are still under the warranty period. They do have that right however. And the magnusson moss act is in place so they cant say your transmission crapped out if you changed out the exhaust because those two systems have nothing to do with each other. However changed the springs/struts are in the same system with the LCA's and change ride height, so they could affect the LCA's. I would argue that the shocks/springs are wear items however. I would talk to the service manager and ask him to perform the TSB under warranty or you will take your business elsewhere.

Edit: Dependent on your production date your car is out of the 3yr/36k mile warranty anyways. Suspension components are not covered under the 100k mile powertrain warranty. The powertrain warranty is a limited warranty and only covers a specific list of parts. Most suspension components arent on that list.

Edit Edit; Sorry 5yr/60k powertrain on the mustangs. And LCA's are not a covered component.

Last edited by Xplosiv; 5/9/14 at 10:46 AM.
Old 5/9/14, 11:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I have a good buddy who was a mechanic for a car dealership and mechanics and majority dealerships date warranty work. The warranty work doesn't pay crap to the dealerships or mechanics to fix issues under warranty. This is not just Ford but many car manufactures have the say system when it comes to warranty work.
There are two separate billing books.

Ford and other manufactures pays the dealerships half the hours to fix warranty issues that a regular customer would pay to fix the same exact issue but not under warranty.

That's why dealerships and mechanics hate warranty work. They look for any reason to get out of doing warranty work.
My dealer doesn't seem to mind...

The issue seems to be that some dealers can't be bothered with making a little less money for more work. Not really seeing the forest from the trees...but whatever, I guess. I've dealt with a few dealers who obviously couldn't be bothered to help with anything that wasn't super expensive (it wasn't even warranty work and they didn't seem to want it ), so I stick with my local dealer whose service center is above average.

What's really unfortunate in all this is that Ford lets this sort of activity continue unabated. In my experiences (and from many others, apparently...) there are a LOT of poor Ford dealers out there. Even worse is Ford corporate's attitude if anything makes it to them. The MO seems to be to sidestep the issue and hope the customer loses interest.

I realize many auto companies are like this...but it's getting pretty **** ridiculous.
Old 5/9/14, 02:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going as far as saying he should have went with a chevy over this minor issue is a bit of an overreaction lol
Old 5/9/14, 02:34 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Going as far as saying he should have went with a chevy over this minor issue is a bit of an overreaction lol
Creating this thread was the overreaction
Old 5/9/14, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
seeing as the noise was there before the upgraded suspension.
Should of gotten it straightened out before modding. Good luck finding a dealer that will touch it now.
Old 5/9/14, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Creating this thread was the overreaction
How is it an overreaction? Known issue with Mustangs, Ford doesn't want to repair and I come here asking for advice.

It's an obvious design flaw if Ford has had multiple TSBs for the FRONT lower control arms, and it's still not fixed.

I created a thread in the Warranty and Service section. Is that not what this section is for?

Originally Posted by mfc133

Should of gotten it straightened out before modding. Good luck finding a dealer that will touch it now.
That's the thing though. They installed the latest control arms under TSB 13-9-3. They don't care that it was modded. They can't find the squeak in the LCAs and are now using the Konis and Springs as a scapegoat. My service tech went as far to say that the FRPP GT500 strut mounts are garbage and can make noise.

I've already spoken with a gentlemen in Dearborn, who has assured me that they cannot deny my claim because of my struts and springs, since this is a known issue.

Last edited by KushBandit; 5/9/14 at 03:30 PM.
Old 5/9/14, 03:26 PM
Post *****

The mod in me says this thread is appropriate and in the appropriate place for sure

The rest of me has no further comment on the matter. I've said what I personally think.
Old 5/9/14, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
The mod in me says this thread is appropriate and in the appropriate place for sure

The rest of me has no further comment on the matter. I've said what I personally think.
Thank you, I appreciate it.
Old 5/9/14, 03:45 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
At ride height they are at the center of their movement, if you lower they get twisted and have less movement, could be the issue.
I don't see many people stick with OEM LCA's but when they do it's good to loosen, let them rotate to where they want to be at the new ride height then tighten them back up.

That is the only reason I could think they are blaming your new suspension pieces.
^^^this

The rubber in all three of ours had cracks showing in the hydrobushing at the rear of the front control arm new... They havent gotten any worse, but Ford is using some really crappy rubber... I bound bushings in other cars swapping parts and tightening up before loading the suspension, caused weirdness- one side sat high( torque in the rubber acts like a torsion spring) and if the bushing wrings lose it will ruin the bushing

Quick Reply: Ford won't warranty LCA squeak