Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Ford is taking my 2011 5.0 for a few days

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/12, 07:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice. Did you just not like the fog lights look? Or is it for the Boss look?
Old 8/2/12, 07:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Musker
Very nice. Did you just not like the fog lights look? Or is it for the Boss look?

It's an actual Boss 302 grill ... so the fogs are in the lower GT/CS valance. I never planned on getting a Boss grill .. but a local guy was selling a Kona Blue Boss 302 grill off his car when he replace it with the 302S Grill ..so how could I pass that up since it was already painted!

Last edited by dmhines; 8/2/12 at 07:59 PM.
Old 8/3/12, 01:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
It's an actual Boss 302 grill ... so the fogs are in the lower GT/CS valance. I never planned on getting a Boss grill .. but a local guy was selling a Kona Blue Boss 302 grill off his car when he replace it with the 302S Grill ..so how could I pass that up since it was already painted!
Awesome.

So an update on my car. I picked it up from the dealer while they are ordering the water pump & tensioner, and they loaded it up with octane-booster to see if it helped the detonation, and driving it I hear a 99% reduction in detonation!

So... the only thing they have done is add octane-booster and it has helped with the "noise" that they are going to replace my water pump & timing belt tensioner for.

In other words, it's obvious that it's DETONATION and not noise coming from some random parts. The dealership obviously knows this, but is still just replacing these other parts. What gives?
Old 8/3/12, 02:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Have you tried using the PROCAL to put the stock tune back in ??? or at least have the dealer put the stock tune back in ??
Old 8/3/12, 02:09 PM
Cobra Member

U betrayed ur stang by adding aftermarket crap lol
Old 8/5/12, 02:32 PM
GT Member

If you are referring to the "aftermarket" tune, I didn't do that. It was on the car when I bought it @ 900 miles. The only thing I have added "aftermarket" is the Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust.

I have thought of taking it back to the stock tune, but if there is engine damage from this tune, I want it found now, not in 50,000 miles when I am out of warranty and can't prove that it was from this particular event.
Old 8/15/12, 04:01 PM
GT Member

So the dealership says that the TSB doesn't apply, and I just need to take it back to the stock tune.

I am concerned, however, that there is premature engine wear from the engine detonation/ping that may cause longevity issues. Can I demand that they look further into it, or am I stuck?

Thanks
Old 8/16/12, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you bought the car used from the original Ford dealership, was there a paper on the window (or in the papers that you signed) that told of a warranty? I'm pretty sure all states have to have a paper that states the vehicle is being sold "AS IS" or "WARRANTY". If the "WARRANTY" box was checked, then it has to be explained in writing as to what warranty you will have. I'd think this is going to be crutial to your case here.

Makes me wonder why it was traded in in the first place. Did this detonation begin from day one after you bought it? The fact that this second dealership installed an octane booster to see if the noise cleared has now been documented in their database to solving the noise issue. Has damage occured? This is the thousand dollar question. If there was a warranty, you will have some documented proof that at the very least, the original Ford dealership can be held liable. You have records and mileage proof as to when all this work has been done. It seems that the tune is causing a timing issue that is now causing detonation. You bought it this way, and as long as you have a piece of paper that states it had a warranty during this time frame, I'd say you have some leverage. But I'm no lawyer.

At the very least, I'd get rid of that tune.

Last edited by Bucko; 8/16/12 at 09:59 AM.
Old 8/16/12, 11:11 AM
GT Member

Doesn't the original factory warranty carry over? Plus surely you could have had a loner. I have a Ford ESP on my Marauder(10 years old in Oct) and I get a loner...
Old 8/16/12, 11:24 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
horne ford sucks.. I know. Peoria ford isnt super great either. I would use berge or bell ford.

What octane are you running? The tune needs atleast 91 octane fuel.
Old 8/16/12, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
horne ford sucks.. I know. Peoria ford isnt super great either. I would use berge or bell ford.

What octane are you running? The tune needs atleast 91 octane fuel.
I took it to Berge after not getting anywhere with Peoria. Berge told me to take the tune off and see if the detonation goes away. I told him I am concerned that there is damage to the engine that has been done in the mean time, and he said that there aren't any check engine lights, then kind of just shrugged it off.

I always use 91 octane.

I really can't remember how long it has been happening... I didn't think anything of it until a couple of months ago -- I figured that if the noise was actually a problem, I would have a CEL. One of my buddies was riding with me recently and said "Woah, man -- your engine is detonating like crazy! You really need to take it in."
Old 8/16/12, 02:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
SNIP
Thanks for the advice. I will dig through my paper work.
Old 8/27/12, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
piece of advice: If you have the Procal tuner box, every few months you should do a crank sensor relearn with it. This, plus making sure you're using REAL 91+ octane fuel (not some of the blended 93-87 to make 91 some gas companies sell as 91) in the car ALL the time, eliminates the ping for the most part. You can also turn on the octane adjust with the tuner but, that softens the tune a little.

Other than that, this tune is frigging awesome on the road. I've trapped my full weight, every option 12 at a hair under 114 on this tune. Plus the torque gains, greatly improved mileage, throttle response and no skip shyt make me happy
Old 8/27/12, 05:29 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been running the FRPP tune for some time after Ford Racing put my car on the dyno to test the tune, and it has been flawless. No pinging or detonation, and the gains are definitely noticeable. Running 93 octane here in MI it's been rock solid.
Old 8/27/12, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO

Other than that, this tune is frigging awesome on the road. I've trapped my full weight, every option 12 at a hair under 114 on this tune. Plus the torque gains, greatly improved mileage, throttle response and no skip shyt make me happy
Feedback like this really makes me wanna get one but then every so often you run into this type of thread...

Find that used car sticker, OP - there has not been one ford service dealer in this area that hasn't grimaced when my 26 yr old self pulls this car in.
Old 8/27/12, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know anything about tuners, but I would think that in addition to the modified tune, they would also have the capability of backing up the original factory tune. Does the tuner have the original tune installed on it? If it does, I wouldn't waste anymore time discussing this until you restore the factory tune and see if it resolves the problem. If the problem goes away, I would contact the people responsible for the modified tune and see what they have to say.
Old 8/28/12, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoopy49
I don't know anything about tuners, but I would think that in addition to the modified tune, they would also have the capability of backing up the original factory tune. Does the tuner have the original tune installed on it? If it does, I wouldn't waste anymore time discussing this until you restore the factory tune and see if it resolves the problem. If the problem goes away, I would contact the people responsible for the modified tune and see what they have to say.
I think the issue is not so much as if the stock tune will correct the problem, but rather if there has been damage done to the engine from this tune in the first place.

In buying the car used, it was assumed that this tune was already installed, and driven with it. Now the OP has it, has driven with this tune, and has detected what appears to be detonation. So, has damage occured? No one seems to know, including the dealership(s) the OP has taken it to.
Old 8/29/12, 12:41 AM
GT Member

Put the stock tune back in the car.

Won't know anything till you put that back in and see what happens. In the meantime, driving it around with detonation happening is not helping that engine either.
Old 8/30/12, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
FRPP tune is known to PING ... lots of threads about that ...
mine doesn't ... well except when i put a tank full of watered down 76 gas.

maybe im one of the lucky ones
Old 9/2/12, 11:06 AM
V6 Member

I would let them do all the work ie put the tune back to stock. Make sure you call Ford customer care and relay message from dealership about what they say, get them write down everything they say verbatim on your paperwork and if you continue to have problems and having to take it back to dealership several times you may be able to claim the lemon law and paperwork to back up your claim. not sure but its an option to look into. Wish you the best with your ride.....