Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Ford Service People are idiots. TSB help needed

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/12, 06:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Service People are idiots. TSB help needed

So I took my car in for bunch of issues and I wanted them to updated the PCM firmware to the newest one. The main reason I wanted it done is because my change oil interval is set to 5k instead of 10k.

I went in and I told my adviser. She was in shock when I told her that my manual says that the car can go 10k miles without an oil change. She said she'd look into it since she wasn't aware of any TSB's. This is the response I got tonight.

"n regards to the oil change reminder, the owners manual says maximum distance is 10k miles or have service done when oil indicator light comes on. That setting can not be altered. It calculates the amount of time since last service and distance you have driven"

Idiots. Mine is set to 5k!! Does anyone have the TSB so I can send it over to them? These idiots are also working on my transmission issues.
Old 1/4/12, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Some f those people you are calling idiots are on this forum and would probably be more willing to help you if you didn't generalize all of them as idiots. Just my .02
Old 1/4/12, 06:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was just reading where you can change the interval yourself in the process of resetting it to 0. My manual is not handy......I will have to see where I saw it at.

Found this:

1. Press and release the SETUP control to display OIL LIFE.
2. Press and hold the RESET control for 2 seconds and release.
Oil life is set to 100% and OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed.
3. While OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed, if a lower oil life start value is desired, press and release the RESET control to reduce the start value. Each press of the RESET control reduces the value by 10%.
Oil life start value of 100% equals 7,500 miles or six months.

Last edited by AzPete; 1/4/12 at 06:30 PM.
Old 1/4/12, 06:34 PM
V6 Member

I know I can reset it once it reaches 5k miles but there's a new TSB out that takes care of it.

And to the guy saying I'm generalizing, I've been to 3 dealerships in my area. I worked for a dealership before. They suck. Maybe there's 1% somewhere where they actually want to help and that there are very knowledgeable, but that's rare.
Old 1/4/12, 07:27 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like you are not fun to wait on so they are passing you by. she might of been in shock because you only offered half the story because you did not know the other half.

FYI all of them are set to 5k miles. You can not run the blend if you are going to do the 10k miles. you have to run full synthetic oil to get the 10 mile. What kind of person would do that to a Sports car??
Old 1/4/12, 07:29 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Black_5.0
I know I can reset it once it reaches 5k miles but there's a new TSB out that takes care of it.

And to the guy saying I'm generalizing, I've been to 3 dealerships in my area. I worked for a dealership before. They suck. Maybe there's 1% somewhere where they actually want to help and that there are very knowledgeable, but that's rare.
whats the tsb number??? you really sound like a customer from hell
Old 1/4/12, 07:44 PM
Cobra Member

Maybe this....TSB 11-3-35

Some 2011 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit premature percent Oil Life and Oil Change Required indications in the instrument cluster message center. The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor system uses information from the powertrain control module (PCM) and an algorithm to calculate the proper oil change interval based on the vehicle operating conditions to provide a maximum oil change interval of 16,000 Km (10,000 miles). However some vehicles may indicate a maximum interval of 8,000 Km (5,000 miles) regardless of how the vehicle is driven.

Reprogram the (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

Amazing what searching turns up.
Old 1/4/12, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
Maybe this....TSB 11-3-35

Some 2011 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit premature percent Oil Life and Oil Change Required indications in the instrument cluster message center. The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor system uses information from the powertrain control module (PCM) and an algorithm to calculate the proper oil change interval based on the vehicle operating conditions to provide a maximum oil change interval of 16,000 Km (10,000 miles). However some vehicles may indicate a maximum interval of 8,000 Km (5,000 miles) regardless of how the vehicle is driven.

Reprogram the (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

Amazing what searching turns up.
Beat me 2 it!Searched 2011 mustang tsb oil life monitor.Google search EASY STUFF!

http://mustangforums.com/mustang-tsb...DICATIONS.html
Old 1/4/12, 07:50 PM
V6 Member

Thank you! And to all those with their ignorant comments, no, all mustangs are not set at 5k interval. Im a customer from hell when a ford customer representative is unaware of new changes. Like getting a lawyer thats not familiar with any new laws.
Old 1/4/12, 07:50 PM
Cobra Member

Same place I copied it from. I bet half the internet traffic would stop if people did a simple search first. Just something close gets you in the right area. Oh well.....on to the next fun stuff...
Old 1/4/12, 09:15 PM

Is it just me or is someone here a little touchy? Geez man its not that big of a deal...you'd think your engine is dragging on the ground or something....its just an oil life indicator
Old 1/4/12, 09:22 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I took my car in for bunch of issues and I wanted them to updated the PCM firmware to the newest one. The main reason I wanted it done is because my change oil interval is set to 5k instead of 10k.

I went in and I told my adviser. She was in shock when I told her that my manual says that the car can go 10k miles without an oil change. She said she'd look into it since she wasn't aware of any TSB's. This is the response I got tonight.

"n regards to the oil change reminder, the owners manual says maximum distance is 10k miles or have service done when oil indicator light comes on. That setting can not be altered. It calculates the amount of time since last service and distance you have driven"

Idiots. Mine is set to 5k!! Does anyone have the TSB so I can send it over to them? These idiots are also working on my transmission issues.
I take offence to your thread title...
Old 1/4/12, 09:23 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Some f those people you are calling idiots are on this forum and would probably be more willing to help you if you didn't generalize all of them as idiots. Just my .02
Exactly! I have access to all the tsbs, ssms and stuff about the car and you can bet I dont feel like sharing with him...
Old 1/4/12, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Exactly! I have access to all the tsbs, ssms and stuff about the car and you can bet I dont feel like sharing with him...
The people he's working with are perpetuating the stereotype that you are taking offense to. He provided a copy and paste from his correspondence with him. They should have access to the same information as you, but didn't do their diligence.

To stop this issue, people like yourself that are trained and knoq how/where to look for this information really need to step up.

As a guy that runs a business, it's better to say, "Hey I have access to all this stuff, let me help get you to like minded people," than to say "I don't feel like sharing with him."

A good friend of mine is a mechanic for a Ford dealership. Since dealers are franchised and independent, everybody probably runs things a bit different. However if you get paid by the job like he does, then putting out a positive message that your service team knows what they're doing and cares about their customers provides more incoming jobs to you. That's money you can take to the bank.

Instead, you've now got a post that can forever be attached to your name that says "I'm a Ford mechanic and don't want to deal with somebody that has a problem with being fed garbage information."

With that said, the OP should have directed his frustration at the specific people he was working with, rather than the industry as a whole. Blanket statements suck, but they also present golden opportunities to earn business for yourself or the company you work for!

Last edited by jlmounce; 1/4/12 at 10:41 PM.
Old 1/4/12, 10:42 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by jlmounce
With that said, the OP should have directed his frustration at the specific people he was working with, rather than the industry as a whole.
if that was done then i wouldnt mind helping him. but calling me an idiot cause i work for ford will get no help from me. ssm's and other details are not privileged information and im not gonna share it with someone that doesn't take the time to realize not all ford employees are stupid. or 90% of them as he states.
Old 1/4/12, 10:43 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Bone, you idiot.
Old 1/4/12, 10:46 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by lalayla
Bone, you idiot.
+1.
But I still like him.
Old 1/4/12, 10:58 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by lalayla
Bone, you idiot.
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
+1.
But I still like him.
thanks to the both of you
Old 1/5/12, 12:55 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Thank you! And to all those with their ignorant comments, no, all mustangs are not set at 5k interval. Im a customer from hell when a ford customer representative is unaware of new changes. Like getting a lawyer thats not familiar with any new laws.
no you simply sound like a pain in the butt. Every single post you have made on this forum has been crying or talking about how things did not go your way. I cannot believe some people would get worked up over a oil change or the dash read out saying when you should have it done. I know most car guys know when they have to without or change well before it is required. BTW to do the 10k oil changes you still have to do use full synthetic oil. The blend or normal oil they use for a regular oil change will not last.

Last edited by Flagstang; 1/5/12 at 01:03 AM.
Old 1/5/12, 01:54 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
I take offence to your thread title...
I think you just inadvertently helped reinforce his point.

Quick Reply: Ford Service People are idiots. TSB help needed