Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Driver Side Pony Projector Problems

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/13, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
Thats what they said. We'll see in a few days.

Attachment 132142
Yours actually doesn't look too bad. Pony running in the rain!

I still wondering what's wrong with it and why it goes bad and will the new one become bad in couple months.
Old 3/6/13, 01:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zheludov

Yours actually doesn't look too bad. Pony running in the rain!

I still wondering what's wrong with it and why it goes bad and will the new one become bad in couple months.
More like a lightning storm! There are more "scratches" visible in person but not as bad as yours were. I do see two similar "scratches" on my d/s projector now too so hopefully the replacements also fix the issue. If not, Id like to know too so I can help avoid it from happening again. The car isnt garaged but I use a car cover, keep her clean and dont touch the mirrors other than a gentle wash & dry with mf sponge & towels and a garden hose on that shower setting.

Last edited by wheelman; 3/6/13 at 03:01 PM.
Old 3/6/13, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having the same exact problem with mine. Oil change is finally coming due so I will be having them take a look at it as well.
Old 3/8/13, 10:00 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zheludov
Thank you very much for help!
You’re very welcome!

Originally Posted by Cristoff
Having the same exact problem with mine. Oil change is finally coming due so I will be having them take a look at it as well.
You can also PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it for you as well, Cristoff.

Deysha
Old 3/9/13, 06:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Let me escalate this for you as well, wheelman. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Thanks, Deysha, I have an appointment for Tuesday and am going on vacation Wednesday, so if they dont get it fixed then Ill get back to you. What does escalating do exactly BTW? Just curious.

Originally Posted by Cristoff
Sounds like a TSB is in our futures. Like the new pics BTW.
Old 3/11/13, 09:41 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks, Deysha, I have an appointment for Tuesday and am going on vacation Wednesday, so if they dont get it fixed then Ill get back to you. What does escalating do exactly BTW? Just curious.
Once I send your info to the customer service manager for your area, they work with you and your dealer to get this resolved. Keep me posted

Deysha
Old 3/11/13, 10:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Once I send your info to the customer service manager for your area, they work with you and your dealer to get this resolved. Keep me posted

Deysha
Will do, thanks again.
Old 3/19/13, 12:27 AM

my clip broke on my and warranty cover it. $90.00
Old 3/19/13, 05:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Update: projector got replaced, not the entire mirror, but due to weird circumstances surrounding my recent vacation, havent actually been able to confirm the fix at night yet. S/b good, though and it was under warranty.
Old 3/19/13, 05:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Update: projector got replaced, not the entire mirror, but due to weird circumstances surrounding my recent vacation, havent actually been able to confirm the fix at night yet. S/b good, though and it was under warranty.
Good to hear they made it right
Old 4/5/13, 08:38 PM

Looks like I'll be making an appointment too... I totally forgot to bring that up during my service last week. Went out tonight and saw it again, it's getting worse... Passenger's side is still as clear as day one.
Just have to say, as much as I love my pony, seeing that kind of ruined part of the experience of my first Mustang.
I thought it might have been caused by fluctuating temperatures, maybe some water gets in there and freezes, causing damage when I close the door? Either way I'll call the dealer in Monday, but Ford should go back to the drawing board as it makes the car look cheap when it's all messed up like that.
That's just my $0.02
Old 4/6/13, 03:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Manbo
Looks like I'll be making an appointment too... I totally forgot to bring that up during my service last week. Went out tonight and saw it again, it's getting worse... Passenger's side is still as clear as day one.
Just have to say, as much as I love my pony, seeing that kind of ruined part of the experience of my first Mustang.
I thought it might have been caused by fluctuating temperatures, maybe some water gets in there and freezes, causing damage when I close the door? Either way I'll call the dealer in Monday, but Ford should go back to the drawing board as it makes the car look cheap when it's all messed up like that.
That's just my $0.02
Yeah, I think it's water seepage. Hopefully the replacement projector modules seal better. I try not to spray under the mirrors with a hose when washing now. But I'm now wondering how long these things will last, as I don't want to have to pay out of pocket to fix them again when my warranty is up.
Old 4/19/13, 01:41 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Mine's starting to go now too - driver's side worse than the passenger's side. Not as bad as your photos, but definitely deteriorating.
Old 4/19/13, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Manbo
That's just my $0.02
I don't think freezing has anything to do with it as I live in a climate that sees virtually ZERO days below freezing and it may only dip below 32 one or two nights a year.

I think its more a matter of water getting in, evaporating, and leaving mineral deposits.

The IMPORTANT thing is that it was never even questioned as to being under warranty and they were easily replaced. It may turn out to be a recurring problem though. Only time will tell.
Old 4/19/13, 04:23 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Those are awesome stripes, Christoff.
Old 4/24/13, 02:53 PM
GT Member

Mine were replaced under warranty, now every time I wash the car I wrap them up in Cling Wrap and then clean the mirrors at the end.

Now we will see how they stand up against the Costarican rainy season starting this month
Old 4/24/13, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DRB
Those are awesome stripes, Christoff.
Thank you!
Old 4/27/13, 11:32 PM

Just had both my projectors replaced under warranty as well. Hope the replacements hold up better than the originals, time will tell...
Old 4/27/13, 11:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeesh with all these troubles I'm glad I didn't convert my 12 mirrors to 13s
Old 5/18/13, 09:19 AM
V6 Member

Just came in here to post that I was having the same issues with both my mirrors. I took the car in for an oil change yesterday and they said they'll replace them under warranty when the parts arrive early next week. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue!

Quick Reply: Driver Side Pony Projector Problems