Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Code C1958 ABS Light on, Traction Control Off

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/13, 12:56 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Code C1958 ABS Light on, Traction Control Off

Annoying problem on my 2010 V6, Make a kinda sharp right hand turn the other day while hitting the brakes and my ABS and Traction Control lights both come on.
I have done the following.
-Re-synced all 4 TPMS Wheel Sensors
-Checked Brake Fluid Level/ Unplugged sensor on Master Cylinder
-Replaced left front wheel sensor and cleaned connection after friends scanner pulled up code C1958.
- Checked traction control switch in center counsel
- disconnected battery and waited 15 minutes
- checked plug at ABS (behind driver's headlight)
- checked Ground terminal (behind driver's headlight)
- Checked all fuses (including ones behind passenger side kick panel)

Any thoughts please let me know.
Old 1/12/13, 07:03 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cjjiii
Annoying problem on my 2010 V6, Make a kinda sharp right hand turn the other day while hitting the brakes and my ABS and Traction Control lights both come on.
I have done the following.
-Re-synced all 4 TPMS Wheel Sensors
-Checked Brake Fluid Level/ Unplugged sensor on Master Cylinder
-Replaced left front wheel sensor and cleaned connection after friends scanner pulled up code C1958.
- Checked traction control switch in center counsel
- disconnected battery and waited 15 minutes
- checked plug at ABS (behind driver's headlight)
- checked Ground terminal (behind driver's headlight)
- Checked all fuses (including ones behind passenger side kick panel)

Any thoughts please let me know.
I don't know on the newer cars, but I know on the older Fords unplugging the battery for 15 minutes won't cut it. You have to connect the two terminals together(Positive and Negative) for 15 minutes if you're trying to reset the system. Might double check that though. If you can verify that you might try that.

Other than that, I'm not sure. I'm not up to date on the ABS systems. Someone on here can help more I'm sure.
Old 1/12/13, 08:33 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynamic Stability Control Valve LF Circuit Failure? Could this be an actual hardware failure?
Old 1/12/13, 09:14 AM
GT Member

Just got back from the same mechanic. He used an older scanner and the same code came up C1958. He did verify that all 4 speed sensors are working.

I have done some research and the ABS modules are known to fail. I went to Ford and was hoping that they could take a look at it. No Dice, needed to make appointment for next Saturday.

My plan now is to disconnect the battery and touch the two terminals. I am then going to unplug the ABS module and clean the terminals. I am then going to clean the ground to chassis ring terminal (pain in the *** to get to) in hopes that the ground wire is dirty.

If this does not work I will wait till next saturday until Ford can look at it. As I am off warranty I'm hoping they don't stick it to me.

I am gong to keep this post up-to-date to help anyone who comes across it in the future.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. I appreciate the help and the replies I have received.
Old 1/17/13, 04:07 PM
GT Member

appointment set for saturday at the stealership. hoping its not the ABS module
Old 1/17/13, 05:59 PM
GT Member

I will have get my friend to buy a ford scan tool. I love how odb2 gets us closer, but you still need the Ford computer.
Old 1/17/13, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

it sounds like the abs module. theres ways 2 test it 2 see if thats the problem but its a pita.
Old 1/19/13, 12:03 PM
GT Member

Back home from the dealership (spent 5 hrs there) estimate for the repair is $257 parts and labor. Paid $120 for diagnostic test and they are calling me on monday as to when they can get the part. Technician did not specify which abs module, but for $250 I doubt it is the high-pressure hydraulic module on the side of the pump.
On a lighter side sat with my ipad in a 2013 in a triple black 2013 Cobra for about 3 hrs, I even managed to take a little nap.

Last edited by cjjiii; 1/19/13 at 12:10 PM.
Old 1/27/13, 07:50 AM
GT Member

Just wantto wrap this up for those viewing in the future. It was the ABS module -$275 done at the dealership
Old 4/25/13, 12:28 PM

Hi cjiii,

I am having the EXACT same problem you encountered. I've been doing a lot of ooking around online and this thread is the most infomative and simililar to my problem of anything that I've come across. It would be an enormous help if you could share with me a few more details on the actual part or part numbers that your dealership installed to fix your problems. I just called to price an ABS module and they quoted me $950 so there must be something that I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!

-Nick