Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Battery connector corroded away

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/15, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Battery connector corroded away

I have a 2013 GT and the battery cable has corroded away. Tried to start it this morning and nothing. I just brought it to them about 6 or 8 months ago because there was so much corrosion on the battery and the cable. They said there was nothing wrong with it.
Called the dealer today and they said parts on back order till March and they tell me they won't order the part till I bring it in and have it diagnosed. So I'm supposed to leave my car there outside until the part comes in? I don't think so.
And then I ask about a loner and get the run around. The car is still under warranty.

Arggggggggggg
Old 1/22/15, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a couple of other people that are having the same problem as you. https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ed-but-534638/

I think there are a couple of more threads out there as well. Seems there was a bad batch of batteries. March is a little ridiculous. They should give you a loaner since your car is completely useless now. Maybe talk to Deysha on this forum and see if she can help you out.
Old 1/22/15, 09:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
What you do is this:

You then bring with you a replacement 'off the shelf from your local parts store that will do the job for now' terminal, and you tell them to order the new part, PUT this thing on there free of charge (as you've paid for it) for your troubles, and when the new part comes in, you'll bring the car.

Also, bring a little tube of dielectric grease, and those battery washers, and show them this thread (print it out or something) which details my method of how I stopped the corrosion on my terminals:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...estion-534192/

That is how you deal with it. At least, that's how I would. If they don't even bother, then I'm not sure I want that dealer to have the warranty work in the first place.

But if they do, no loaner for them, and you keep your car out of the elements as desired. Win-win. Sure, you'll have a non-stock terminal for a little while, but that's ok. It's temp on a cable that's going to be tossed anyway, so whatever, right?

They ought to work with you, not stone wall you.

And I agree. Talk to Deysha, FordService is the username here. She'll fix ya up.

Last edited by houtex; 1/22/15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 1/23/15, 06:41 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cargirl
I have a 2013 GT and the battery cable has corroded away. Tried to start it this morning and nothing. I just brought it to them about 6 or 8 months ago because there was so much corrosion on the battery and the cable. They said there was nothing wrong with it.
Called the dealer today and they said parts on back order till March and they tell me they won't order the part till I bring it in and have it diagnosed. So I'm supposed to leave my car there outside until the part comes in? I don't think so.
And then I ask about a loner and get the run around. The car is still under warranty.
Hello Cargirl,

Let’s keep your ride alive. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll forward this to the customer service manager for your area to help get this resolved.

Originally Posted by dave07
There are a couple of other people that are having the same problem as you.
I think there are a couple of more threads out there as well. Seems there was a bad batch of batteries. March is a little ridiculous. They should give you a loaner since your car is completely useless now. Maybe talk to Deysha on this forum and see if she can help you out.
Originally Posted by houtex
And I agree. Talk to Deysha, FordService is the username here. She'll fix ya up.
Thank you for the mention, guys!

Deysha
Old 1/23/15, 02:36 PM

Taking it to dealer Monday morning
Old 1/24/15, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your car still run or do you have to flatbed it?
Old 1/24/15, 08:56 PM

its bad battery
Old 1/29/15, 04:50 AM

Parts finally came in yesterday she's getting fixed today. Guess the guy on the phone when we called has no idea what he was talking about. When my husband took it in on Monday the so called mechanic said there was nothing wrong so my husband had to show him, hope he's not the mechanic fixing it today. Fingers crossed.
Old 2/2/15, 08:11 AM

Parts finally came in yesterday she's getting fixed today. Guess the guy on the phone when we called has no idea what he was talking about. When my husband took it in on Monday the so called mechanic said there was nothing wrong so my husband had to show him, hope he's not the mechanic fixing it today. Fingers crossed.
Glad this is being taken care of for you, Cargirl!

Deysha
Old 2/3/15, 04:17 AM

Still not fixed

So it took them two days to change the harness because the mechanic broke the starter. When my husband went to pick it up the engine light came on so he turned around and went back. The guy said nothing was coming up on the reader so he erased it. My husband drives away and the engine light comes on again. We had a friend with a reader check it and the code is for an oxygen sensor so now she goes back. I have been without a car for two weeks now and do you know what they offered us for our trouble, a $100 gift card we can use for service. Like I'm taking my car back there.
Old 2/4/15, 12:10 PM

So it took them two days to change the harness because the mechanic broke the starter. When my husband went to pick it up the engine light came on so he turned around and went back. The guy said nothing was coming up on the reader so he erased it. My husband drives away and the engine light comes on again. We had a friend with a reader check it and the code is for an oxygen sensor so now she goes back. I have been without a car for two weeks now and do you know what they offered us for our trouble, a $100 gift card we can use for service. Like I'm taking my car back there.
I’m happy to get this escalated for you, Cargirl. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 2/4/15, 05:56 PM

Deysha I appreciate your willingness to help but now that the car seems to be done I'm done with that dealership.

Finally the car is fixed, although I haven't driven it myself. Hopefully nothing else comes up. Im really disappointed by the way the service department treated us and my car. I have a new scratch on the bumper and greasy handprints all over the car. I'm sure when I wash her tomorrow I will find more minor scratches. I'm just glad it's over but if it needs anything else I will not be taking it back to that dealership.
My husband and I don't appreciate it when the service guy keeps telling us were wrong about what's wrong with the car. They talk to you like your a complete moron and don't know about cars. I probably know more about that car then he does about his right hand.
Old 2/5/15, 06:27 AM

Deysha I appreciate your willingness to help but now that the car seems to be done I'm done with that dealership.

Finally the car is fixed, although I haven't driven it myself. Hopefully nothing else comes up. Im really disappointed by the way the service department treated us and my car. I have a new scratch on the bumper and greasy handprints all over the car. I'm sure when I wash her tomorrow I will find more minor scratches. I'm just glad it's over but if it needs anything else I will not be taking it back to that dealership.
My husband and I don't appreciate it when the service guy keeps telling us were wrong about what's wrong with the car. They talk to you like your a complete moron and don't know about cars. I probably know more about that car then he does about his right hand.
You’re welcome, Cargirl. I’m also happy to document your experience with them if you’d like. You can PM me with the same info I previously requested, and a brief description of your experience.

Deysha
Old 2/9/15, 01:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
just wait you people you will soon see this crap on your hoods too , watch the seams close. my battery terminal showed up after the hood started 8 months from new maybe 1.5 years
Attached Thumbnails Battery connector corroded away-20141019_124458.jpg   Battery connector corroded away-20141019_124454.jpg   Battery connector corroded away-20150108_143135.jpg  
Old 2/9/15, 02:21 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
just wait you people you will soon see this crap on your hoods too , watch the seams close. my battery terminal showed up after the hood started 8 months from new maybe 1.5 years
Maybe its all that salt air?
Old 2/9/15, 02:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's got sweet f all with the air . Answer me this then why is it never seen on an Airplane FEDEX truck or UPS truck all aluminium ? it a ford sewed up design flaw.
Old 2/9/15, 02:35 PM
Post *****

It's got sweet f all with the air . Answer me this then why is it never seen on an Airplane FEDEX truck or UPS truck all aluminium ? it a ford sewed up design flaw.
I don't know what sweet f all with the air is.

But yours it the worst Mustang hood by far.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/9/15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 2/9/15, 02:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

There's been more than mine the 2nd gt/cs that came in to same dealer right after mine but automatic was in last week they were some pissed off .
so I guess you see this on these delivery trucks as I mentioned & your blind sided that ford couldn't
t have screwed the pooch on this , I had a pro look at it and ford didn't treat or seal anything or this would never happen. oh gee it's raining maybe I shouldn't drive my cat because something may go wrong , get my point ford f ck ed it up
Old 2/9/15, 02:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's nice you have to hide yourself off line just like ford they're all chicken sh t
Old 2/9/15, 02:47 PM
Post *****

There's been more than mine the 2nd gt/cs that came in to same dealer right after mine but automatic was in last week they were some pissed off .
so I guess you see this on these delivery trucks as I mentioned & your blind sided that ford couldn't
t have screwed the pooch on this , I had a pro look at it and ford didn't treat or seal anything or this would never happen. oh gee it's raining maybe I shouldn't drive my cat because something may go wrong , get my point ford f ck ed it up
I'm not arguing with you about it. There are too many reports. But most are a little flaking at seams underhood. I've never seen another one like yours as I said.
Are ups/fedex trucks never repainted?

Quick Reply: Battery connector corroded away