Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

all these problems with only 52k miles....

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/14, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all these problems with only 52k miles....

so far ive had to replace the.... transmission, tail light housing, a accent light, passenger seat assembly, a front speaker, clock spring under warranty.... and now my dang water pump is leaking like crazy... im about ready to just get rid of this car and go back to a GM product. no telling how much its going to cost me to replace stuff after the warranty is up which will be pretty soon.
Old 2/6/14, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh Noe... Since mine is DD, I'm afraid something like this might happen to me someday. Hopefully not too early, so far only minor issues. Being the first Ford, I'm not very impressed with the build quality. But again, every brand has its weak spot: like Fuel Pump issues on 335 Bimmer's.
Old 2/6/14, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

this is my first ford and my dd too. build quality is crappy compared to the GM vehicles ive had. i put 60k on my camaro and i only had to take it back to the dealership once and that was for the free oil change they give. i put almost 80k miles on my gmc 1500 and only had to take it to the dealership once and it was because the rear view mirror "fell off". i actually hit it with a shot gun barrel when i was handing it to someone out the window. gm replaced it with no questions asked though. and my 2000 silverado had 230k miles on it and had less things replaced on it in its 12 year life than my 3 year old mustang with almost 200k miles less than the truck did. i knew fords build quality wasnt quite as good as gms but i didnt think it was this much of a difference.
Old 2/6/14, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

anybody want to buy a airaid cai, sct x3, 2 18x10 amr's, 2 18x9 amr's, gt500 rear valance, and maybe swap out the gt500 front end for stock v6 or gt front end of same color? its a seibon carbon fiber hood.
Old 2/6/14, 02:12 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by southcarolina12
so far ive had to replace the.... transmission, tail light housing, a accent light, passenger seat assembly, a front speaker, clock spring under warranty.... and now my dang water pump is leaking like crazy... im about ready to just get rid of this car and go back to a GM product. no telling how much its going to cost me to replace stuff after the warranty is up which will be pretty soon.
Boy you lucked out. Got a lemon there.

My 08 Bullitt is flawless. Had it 6 yrs today and even the factory battery is still cranking great.
I bought my 83 F150 4X new 31 yrs ago next week, and I've got 254k on it and its still pullin! Did break a ring at 215k though and put remanufactured engine in it. Stock trans, rear end.
I have hundreds of thousands of hard commercial miles on Ford V8's and V10's. Never left me stranded, never a breakdown, all (7) went well past 100k.

I guess I should ditch Ford and switch to GM because of your story.
Old 2/6/14, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

it might just be that i have better luck with gm products or something idk. it doesnt really matter to me if its luck or not. i just need a reliable vehicle cause i drive 80+ miles a day.
Old 2/6/14, 02:26 PM
Post *****

it might just be that i have better luck with gm products or something idk. it doesnt really matter to me if its luck or not. i just need a reliable vehicle cause i drive 80+ miles a day.
You just got one that isn't quite right that's all. Doesn't make Ford a fail.

Plus you gambled on a first year model change - those always have bugs. Just like first year Camaro and Chally had their share of problems remember?
Old 2/6/14, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

i had a first year chassis change camaro and it didnt have this many problems. i didnt even have to take it to the dealership for any warranty problems. i can honestly say the build quality of ford is way less than gm. not just because of the problems ive had but because of a lot of little things on the vehicle. it does seem that i just happened to get a lemon because ive researched all of the problems ive had with the vehicle and none of them seem to be common except when i had to get the transmission replaced. im debating on getting rid of it or not. ill probably keep it though.
Old 2/6/14, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

actually there seems to be a few people having this problem with the water pump as well....
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...p-leaking.html
Old 2/6/14, 03:02 PM
Post *****

Lot of jokes on the boards about broken half shafts, the gimmicky stick on wheel weights on the brakes fix... GM has its glitches too...

And your sig says it was a 10 Camaro - isn't that a year or two into production? I forget... I know the Chally was released in 08. Took them a year or two to get the half shafts and other things up to par.
the 13/14 Mustang has the glitches pretty well worked out over the 11/12.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/6/14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 2/6/14, 03:18 PM
Post *****

actually there seems to be a few people having this problem with the water pump as well....
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...p-leaking.html
Two.
<Sounds like its not too common, These are the only mentions I could find on google, but it does happen.>

It has been my experience that the leak is the internal bushing going out. And they soon go completely losing pretty much all your coolant. So you might want to make that appointment...

Good luck! Hope it gets better! Give your machine some TLC and a good pep talk.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/6/14 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2/6/14, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah the bearing in the water pump is bad. i checked it for play and it has a good bit. i called and made a appointment for tuesday afternoon when i smelled coolant this morning and then after i got home and had time to check it and saw that there was a lot of play in the pulley and that it had coolant on about everything under the hood. after seeing that i called and changed the appointment for tomorrow.
Old 2/6/14, 07:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

yeah the bearing in the water pump is bad. i checked it for play and it has a good bit. i called and made a appointment for tuesday afternoon when i smelled coolant this morning and then after i got home and had time to check it and saw that there was a lot of play in the pulley and that it had coolant on about everything under the hood. after seeing that i called and changed the appointment for tomorrow.
Man, I'm sorry too hear about your ride bro. Perhaps the people who built your car and parts were on crack that day. I have an 11 with around 34,000 miles and it runs flawless. That's a shame. You should write a letter too the Ford corporation and express your displeasure in your mustang quality.

No way a transmission should of crapped out on a car that's 3 to 4 years old. That's crazy.
Old 2/6/14, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope mine lasts for 15 or 20 years. I have a friend that has a 2005 with over 200K on it and the only thing he has had to replace was the starter. It's a 4.6 car.
Old 2/7/14, 05:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
you have an odd ball car, Most of the stangs out there are problem free. I know my 06 has been for the most part. I have had one small trans problem and a battery change.
Old 2/7/14, 08:59 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad you’re working with your dealer on this, southcarolina12. Keep me posted on the outcome.

Deysha
Old 2/7/14, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

im probably gonna end up just buying it and putting it on myself. i hate other people working on my car. they said they would have to keep the car for two days too and this is my only source of transportation and i have to drive it to school and back. i could change it in about 2 hours max. i highly doubt they will but will ford pay for the part under warranty and just let me change it myself?
Old 2/8/14, 10:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
im probably gonna end up just buying it and putting it on myself. i hate other people working on my car. they said they would have to keep the car for two days too and this is my only source of transportation and i have to drive it to school and back. i could change it in about 2 hours max. i highly doubt they will but will ford pay for the part under warranty and just let me change it myself?
Not a chance they'd do that. Mine was replaced under warranty as well.

Individual, anecdotal responses aside, Ford and GM are pretty darn close to each other in terms of quality, according to the people that actually measure this stuff. I know, everybody has a friend or family member with a horror story either way, but overall it's pretty even. And when you're buying something as complicated as a car, with parts made by probably 100 different suppliers, there's bound to be some problems sometimes.

Sorry to say, it appears you have more than normal. I've also got a 2011 with 57,000 miles on it and I've had the water pump replaced, the Vapor Wire Circuit at Cannister Vent Solenoid wiring, passenger seat airbag, a couple minor TSB's (oil life monitor and transmission fluid), all under warranty, plus the battery and I need to replace the driver-side power seat assembly but haven't yet.

One thing people tend to forget (not saying this is you, OP, just in general) is that cars cost money to maintain. My personal experience is that it averages out to $2,000 or so a year, including tires, for the post-warranty life of a car.
Old 2/8/14, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

Individual, anecdotal responses aside, Ford and GM are pretty darn close to each other in terms of quality, according to the people that actually measure this stuff. I know, everybody has a friend or family member with a horror story either way, but overall it's pretty even. And when you're buying something as complicated as a car, with parts made by probably 100 different suppliers, there's bound to be some problems sometimes.

Sorry to say, it appears you have more than normal. I've also got a 2011 with 57,000 miles on it and I've had the water pump replaced, the Vapor Wire Circuit at Cannister Vent Solenoid wiring, passenger seat airbag, a couple minor TSB's (oil life monitor and transmission fluid), all under warranty, plus the battery and I need to replace the driver-side power seat assembly but haven't yet.

One thing people tend to forget (not saying this is you, OP, just in general) is that cars cost money to maintain. My personal experience is that it averages out to $2,000 or so a year, including tires, for the post-warranty life of a car.
yeah i probably just got a bad one out of the group. ive only owned it about a year so idk what the previous owner had to have done to it while he owned it but ive done well over 2,000 in replacement parts. more like $5,000 in just parts not counting labor and not counting regular maintenance stuff like tires and oil. thats just replacement parts.
Old 2/8/14, 03:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

Holy god bro. You have had all that stuff go wrong with your pony and all you have is 57,000 miles. Wow.

Quick Reply: all these problems with only 52k miles....