Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Airbag/SRS Warning Light Stays On All the Time!

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/11, 08:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdamario
Stupid spell checker thing. Should have said
"reseated" both connectors.
That was the 1st thing I tried. Didn't help. Glad I had that warranty so I could go to the dealer TWICE (once for diagnosis and 2nd time for installation after ordered part came in 3 weeks later).
Old 2/7/11, 12:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
. . . .the yellow airbag / SRS light in my left gauge window stays on all the time.
Watch out!

That means the airbags may deploy at any moment!

Old 8/8/11, 11:38 PM

Had the same issue with my new 2012....just brought it home tonight and had the airbag light come on and stay on. Reseated the yellow connector under the recaros on the driver side and no more light. Thanks for saving me a trip to the service lane!
Old 8/8/11, 11:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm.. Mine did this on Friday but it has since gone away
Old 8/10/11, 07:06 AM

Well, I thought mine went away but now it is back....it is off and on at times, not sure why. Looks like I won't be able to avoid that trip to the dealer after all.
Old 8/10/11, 09:06 AM
V6 Member

I had the same problem. The light would come on intermittently, so I took it in to the dealer. Predictably, the light wouldn't go on when they had it and they could find no problem. I told the service manager to note the problem (making sure this remained a warranty claim) and that I would be back when it failed completely. Sure enough, over the next few weeks the light stayed on more and more, until it remained on all the time. I then made another appointment and took it in. I was supposed to pick it up that night, but got a call from the service manager telling me they had pulled a bunch of components from the interior and could they keep the car another day. The next day, I call to see if my car is going to be ready for pick up, and get told that they still couldn't find the problem, and that it was probably a "pinched wire" (which is dealer-speak for "We have no friggin idea what's wrong with your car."). Day 3, I get a call from the service manager telling me they found the problem...one of the airbags in the driver's seat. Unfortunately, because these stupid things are basically explosive devices, the dealerships don't stock them, and they would have to order the part which would be there the next day. I finally got the car back at the end of day 4. I was lucky I was able to use my wife's car because at no time was I ever offered a loaner. I can't imagine how much time the techs had into this little fishing expedition, or how much this little project ended up costing, but it really makes you wonder what will happen to these cars when they are 10 years old and all this gee-whizz, nanny-state "Let's turn cars into safety cocoons." B.S. starts crapping out. Who will pay then? Ford? The dealership? The owner? The cost of repairing this stuff will exceed the value of the car.
Old 8/10/11, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

Man rick sounds like a frustrating experience. Well glad they fixed it.

Mine did come on a few weeks back, but haven't seen the light come back since. If it does, off to the dealer it goes!
Old 8/10/11, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

i have mentioned this in other threads before.. if you have something on the passanger seat that has some weight but not alot.. (ie. 30 pack, etc.) the weight sensor on the seat senses there is someone sitting there.. the car thinks its a kid and shuts off the passanger air bag.

now if your light is on and you remove said 30 pack.. the light will remain on until the car is shut off and restarted..

now this may or may not be whats happening your case, but it is something to keep in mind
Old 8/11/11, 07:01 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hello Members!

It’s me again!! If anyone is still experiencing any concerns with their vehicle, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Then, private message me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer info. This way, I can get this escalated and get this situation worked out.

Deysha
Old 8/11/11, 09:40 AM

I took my car in this morning and tThe dealer pulled the codes and said that both seats had codes reading "open", but that there were still getting continuity and therefore are still working. The fix that was proposed was to order new airbags (including the harnesses), but the service advisor asked the tech to check to see if there was a new part number for the replacements or if we would be taking the seats all apart to replace them with the same part. He checked and confirmed that they are the same.

So, I really don't want to have my brand new recaros torn apart to replace the airbag, especially if it is not likely to resolve the problem. However, the alternative is to deal with the light and wonder if the airbags have or will fail at some point.

Any thoughts?
Old 8/12/11, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by TXCobra

Any thoughts?
Hey TXCobra,

I’d like to get this escalated and help get it resolved for you. Please private message me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 8/12/11, 03:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
I would take it to the dealer. It is likely a defective airbag module. No, that doesn't mean Ford makes POS cars. I have had the following Ford products.

1993 Ford Thunderbird: Drove 189,000 miles. Repaired broken power window bracket at 120k. Cost me $30. Repaired broken windshield wiper motor at 160k, cost me $50.

1998 Ford Taurus: Drove 199,000 miles. A/C broke at 180k and I didn't bother to fix it. Brake lines rusted through at 199k, but that was my fault for putting it in salt water (towed jet ski). Gave it to a friend for his farm and it's still running.

2000 Ford Focus ZX3: Drove 36,000 miles (lease). Zero problems.

2006 Ford Focus ZX5: Drove 48,000 miles (lease). Needed a power steering leak fixed around 30k.

2009 Ford Flex: Driven 20,000 so far. No problems.

2011 Ford Mustang: Driven 500 miles so far. Driver side seat scuffed before delivery. Being fixed under warranty.

So, I've driven almost 500,000 miles total in my Fords, and had the cars in for service a grand total of 6 times. One of those was my fault, and another one was likely done by a truck driver or railway worker. I'll take 4 problems in 500,000 miles over 3 problems in 145,000 any day; especially considering that only one of those four problems happened anywhere close to the warranty period.
If we are going on quality and dependability , Toyota and Honda can't be beat. I admit that I traded my loadaed 2010 Toyota 4wd Crewmax truck for my 5.0 but it wasn't because of dependability or quality expectations. I have a 1998 4 Runner 4wd with 260,000 mi. that still has not had the a/c charged. It has the original starter, alternator, water pump, ps pump and tranny. The only thing that I have done is change the oil (mobile 1 every 10k) and put gas in it. I have changed the tires and brakes , that's it. Power windows, sunroof, cruise cont, 4wd etc still work flawless. That being said, I love my Stang but I don't expect it to have these few problems at 260k or 13 years from now. My 93 Lx was falling apart in 2003, Squeeks, rattles, power locks and windows malfunctioning; you name it. I don't expect much difference with this car. I'll enjoy it a few years and then move on I am sure. However, I can't get enough of it now. My buddy has a Porsche from the 80's that is in flawless working order with 200k miles on it. He told me awhile back before I got my 2012, "Those POS's are fast (speaking of the Mustangs and Camaros in general) , that's all you can say about them.Ride in my Porsche, it's as flawless as it was in 1987. People won't be saying that about the 5.0 or Camaro in 20 years. People will only say those POS's were fast!" He has a point but I love my fast POS!!!!
Old 11/7/11, 03:16 PM
V6 Member

Found this forum searching the problem with our airbag light coming on. This is my first post and my first Mustang since a Mustang II. We've only had our 2011 Convertible V6 Premium for a few weeks. Haven't even got license plates on it yet and its already at the dealer! Been there since last Thursday night and they still can't find out what's wrong with it other than to say its "definitely in the wiring" which makes me more than nervous! They said they are going to have to remove the seats next. We did buy the car used with 28,000 miles but it was certified and we got the 100,000mile ESP. Hope this gets sorted out soon. I think we just missed the last weekend we could have dropped the top because it sat at the dealer all weekend.
Old 11/9/11, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Clue
Found this forum searching the problem with our airbag light coming on. This is my first post and my first Mustang since a Mustang II. We've only had our 2011 Convertible V6 Premium for a few weeks. Haven't even got license plates on it yet and its already at the dealer! Been there since last Thursday night and they still can't find out what's wrong with it other than to say its "definitely in the wiring" which makes me more than nervous!
Hi Clue,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase. My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I’d like to escalate this for you and help get it resolved for you. Please PM me with your dealer, VIN, and contact info. Have a good one!

Deysha
Old 11/9/11, 09:05 AM
V6 Member

The dealer has since contacted me yesterday and said that problem is now with the airbag module. They ordered it as "critical" and think it will be here today but not sure. Might get car back today..maybe tomorrow. I figured Deysha had something to do with them calling me and marking it as "critical" and offering me a loaner car. Been at the dealer since last Friday for an airbag module!! That seems excessive. I will be checking it out very closely when we get it back because they claim they had to remove the seats.

The module seems to be a pretty prevalent problem..no TSB on it though I guess...yet anyway.
Old 11/9/11, 02:33 PM

The dealer has since contacted me yesterday and said that problem is now with the airbag module. They ordered it as "critical" and think it will be here today but not sure. Might get car back today..maybe tomorrow. I figured Deysha had something to do with them calling me and marking it as "critical" and offering me a loaner car. Been at the dealer since last Friday for an airbag module!! That seems excessive. I will be checking it out very closely when we get it back because they claim they had to remove the seats.
Can't wait until you get your baby back and continue to enjoy it, Clue!

Deysha
Old 11/10/11, 06:43 AM
Cobra R Member

The module seems to be a pretty prevalent problem..no TSB on it though I guess...yet anyway.
Clue, I am the O.P. and the “module” is what they had to replace on my ’11. PLEASE READ THE POSTS ON PAGE 1 OF THIS THREAD – replacement of that module apparently requires extensive disassembly/re-assembly of the driver’s seat & there is risk to all of the snap-on plastic trim pieces. Watch that like a hawk! A less-than-careful tech may break some of those pieces or their fasteners and try to return your car to you with it improperly re-assembled. Obviously, if they break any of those pieces it will require ordering more parts which can greatly delay your getting the car back. Not trying to instill paranoia, just awareness.

My dealer said they put their most experienced tech on the job for me and it took them a long time (4+ hours), so it is not as simple as it might seem. But i was happy with the result.
Old 11/14/11, 09:01 AM
V6 Member

Picked up last Thursday. Checked the seat carefully and all seems ok. The parts list included all new clips for the seat bottom and the tech said they always do that on seats when they disassemble. I mentioned this forum and told him what other's issues were with the seat clips and he assured me not to worry!
Ford Customer Service called me several times to make sure all went OK. Kudos to them!
Old 12/31/11, 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like I will get to join in this fun with my 2010 GT, which is just over 2 calendars years and 38,700 miles old. The indicator light came on yesterday out of the blue.

I am NOT looking forward to this without the 3yr/36000 mi warranty in effect.
Old 12/31/11, 12:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend of mine had this SRS issue on his VW jetta. Turns out his passenger seal belt wasn't reeling in properly...odd

Quick Reply: Airbag/SRS Warning Light Stays On All the Time!