Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Air Conditioning went out...

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/14, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely like to get the scale. I use the small refrigerant cans.
Old 6/14/14, 07:49 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ksquared
I finally had to use my air conditioner here in wisconsin and it went out. Blowing hot air. AC clutch does not engage. 30,200 miles. Stored winters 2010 mustang gt. The 3 years was up in sept of last year. Argg this sounds like a chronic problem.
I don't know if the new systems are like the 'old' systems, but I was always told to run the A/C from time to time in the winter to 'lube the seals' in the system. So although mine is in winter storage from Nov - Apr, I fire it up every 5-6 weeks and take for a short drive (until the fan comes on so I know the engine is good and hot). It charges the battery, lubricates the rear end and engine seals, and yes - I turn on the A/C for a few minutes. 08 with 27k and the A/C works well.

Also, in my 80's/90's cars, if the coolant leaked, the compressor would not engage as a type of safety.

So maybe since you haven't been using yours during winter, and not much in summer apparently, the coolant leaked and seals are dried out.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/14/14 at 07:50 PM.
Old 6/14/14, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 88lx50
I would definitely like to get the scale. I use the small refrigerant cans.

After using the small cans for years, I love using the tank on the scale. Much more accurate and one of the most important things in recharging an AC system is to get the correct amount of refrigerant in.

Cdynaco,
It still holds true today. You should run the AC system periodically to keep everything lubed up and the oil spread around. All systems still have it where if the refrigerant charge is too low, the compressor will not come on. This protects the compressor from destroying itself.

Wayne
Old 6/21/14, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick update to my issue.

I called ford and calmly told them that a major AC component failing at 26k miles is unacceptable and them wanting me to pay $600 for a new compressor (which I can get a brand new OEM one for $350 from various websites) and $400 for labor was simply unacceptable.

We've got a kid on the way and we were considering snagging one of the new twin turbo explorers but with how we got kicked to the curb by ford and how above and beyond Audi has been with us with my wife's A4, for the same price, my wife has now pushed me to look at their Q7 SUV instead (plus a better factory bumper to bumper warranty)

I told her I still really liked the explorer but the ball was in her court on how they wanted to handle this and that if I ended up 1K bucks poorer when I left the dealer, it would be the last time I ever do business with them.

She said ford will cover half the cost and pay for the loaner (premium 2014 V6 mustang) but said that because the dealer had already entered the charges into the system or whatever, they could only cover half, otherwise, she said she could have probably gotten all of it.

Oh well... lesson learned. Hopefully it will be a long time before I have any more problems. I assume this new compressor comes with a 3 year 36k mile warranty?

Last edited by FastRedPonyCar; 6/21/14 at 10:25 PM.
Old 6/22/14, 04:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

I called ford and calmly told them that a major AC component failing at 26k miles is unacceptable and them wanting me to pay $600 for a new compressor (which I can get a brand new OEM one for $350 from various websites) and $400 for labor was simply unacceptable.

We've got a kid on the way and we were considering snagging one of the new twin turbo explorers but with how we got kicked to the curb by ford and how above and beyond Audi has been with us with my wife's A4, for the same price, my wife has now pushed me to look at their Q7 SUV instead (plus a better factory bumper to bumper warranty)

I told her I still really liked the explorer but the ball was in her court on how they wanted to handle this and that if I ended up 1K bucks poorer when I left the dealer, it would be the last time I ever do business with them.

She said ford will cover half the cost and pay for the loaner (premium 2014 V6 mustang) but said that because the dealer had already entered the charges into the system or whatever, they could only cover half, otherwise, she said she could have probably gotten all of it.

Oh well... lesson learned. Hopefully it will be a long time before I have any more problems. I assume this new compressor comes with a 3 year 36k mile warranty?
2/24
Old 6/24/14, 07:34 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ksquared
I finally had to use my air conditioner here in wisconsin and it went out. Blowing hot air. AC clutch does not engage. 30,200 miles. Stored winters 2010 mustang gt. The 3 years was up in sept of last year. Argg this sounds like a chronic problem.
Have you addressed this with your Ford Dealer, ksquared? You should speak to your service manager. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
Thank you for the update, FastRedPonyCar! Glad to learn we’re taking care of this for you. Also, you should speak with your dealer regarding your repairs’ warranty.

Deysha
Old 7/18/14, 10:27 AM

My 2012 Mustang GT with under 12k miles has a leaking compressor. I'm 5-6 weeks outside of my warranty, but it's surprising, to say the least, that I need to replace the compressor at 12k miles. I've spoken with my service manager so we'll see if the dealer and Ford take care of this. I'll update once it's all settled.
Old 7/18/14, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by sarkocreme
My 2012 Mustang GT with under 12k miles has a leaking compressor. I'm 5-6 weeks outside of my warranty, but it's surprising, to say the least, that I need to replace the compressor at 12k miles. I've spoken with my service manager so we'll see if the dealer and Ford take care of this. I'll update once it's all settled.
Glad to learn your dealer is looking into this for you, sarkocreme. Your service manager is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. Also remember, most repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 7/18/14, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
Glad to learn your dealer is looking into this for you, sarkocreme. Your service manager is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. Also remember, most repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Pretty disappointed right now with my dealer and my car. They're willing to lower the price by $500 on a $2k total repair (which seems excessive to begin with). So it would still be ~$1,500 to replace something that shouldn't break for at least another 70k miles just because I'm barely outside of my warranty. I called a couple of auto shops around here to get repair quotes.

I'll call my Ford dealer back soon when I know what all of my options are elsewhere. Maybe something good will come out of it another talk, but I'm not very optimistic at the moment.
Old 7/21/14, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by sarkocreme
Pretty disappointed right now with my dealer and my car. They're willing to lower the price by $500 on a $2k total repair (which seems excessive to begin with). So it would still be ~$1,500 to replace something that shouldn't break for at least another 70k miles just because I'm barely outside of my warranty. I called a couple of auto shops around here to get repair quotes.

I'll call my Ford dealer back soon when I know what all of my options are elsewhere. Maybe something good will come out of it another talk, but I'm not very optimistic at the moment.
I’m not promising anything, but I’m happy to escalate this for you if you’d like. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 7/28/14, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Just lost my air conditioning this past weekend. Was blowing warm from the drivers side for a little bit, now completely gone. 2012 Boss with 9000 km (5600 miles). Purchased May 2011...so two months out of warranty. Booked in my local Ford for this Wednesday. Not terribly impressed right now.
Old 7/28/14, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread scares me. I've had almost every TSB apply to my current Mustang and then some. I'm really scared to own my Mustang out of warranty. I don't really care for a 2k repair bill. Does anyone else feel this way? I might be trading it in for a 2016ish F-150 unless Chevy comes out with a truck to compete.
Old 7/28/14, 09:51 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Been reading these A/C failure posts and I've noticed a common thread about the failures. The majority of them seem to be 5.0 cars, GTs and Bosses, and seem to be compressor failures.

I wonder if the compressors that they're using are right on the borderline of being adequate internally and clutch wise to handle the high RPM that the GT/Boss engines can turn?

Just a thought, could be way off base.
Old 7/28/14, 10:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Been reading these A/C failure posts and I've noticed a common thread about the failures. The majority of them seem to be 5.0 cars, GTs and Bosses, and seem to be compressor failures.
I noticed that it is often bosses and gts too. I don't know if this still applies but my father worked his way through college as a mechanic in the 40s. He always taught me to run the a/c regularly, including the winter. He would tell me that it keeps everything lubricated and working. I'm wondering if winter storage and not running a/c because we keep the windows down to hear exhaust/ or because we are racing.
Old 7/28/14, 11:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

I wonder if the compressors that they're using are right on the borderline of being adequate internally and clutch wise to handle the high RPM that the GT/Boss engines can turn?

Just a thought, could be way off base.
Since the air conditioning is crap at idle, I have a feeling they already handled this with the pulley.
Old 7/30/14, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cobrajetjoe
Just lost my air conditioning this past weekend. Was blowing warm from the drivers side for a little bit, now completely gone. 2012 Boss with 9000 km (5600 miles). Purchased May 2011...so two months out of warranty. Booked in my local Ford for this Wednesday. Not terribly impressed right now.

Compressor needs replacing. $900 repair. As it sits right now Ford won't cover it.
Old 8/1/14, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I noticed that it is often bosses and gts too. I don't know if this still applies but my father worked his way through college as a mechanic in the 40s. He always taught me to run the a/c regularly, including the winter. He would tell me that it keeps everything lubricated and working. I'm wondering if winter storage and not running a/c because we keep the windows down to hear exhaust/ or because we are racing.
Could be. The A/C runs when you have the heater on too (if you have the button pressed) it dehumidifies the air. So mine gets run almost constantly here in the south except for maybe a few days in the spring and fall.

The only problem I had with my Focus was that after the first year or two it didn't feel like it was getting as cold as before. But it never went out.
Old 8/28/14, 08:47 AM

2012 V6 AC Having issues as well

After reading this thread wanted to add that my 2012 V6 Mustang has been experiencing AC issues as well. Been to the dealer twice in a 6,000 mile span due to no A/C. Both times the system was low but they claimed that "they couldn't find the leak after adding dye to the system". I went out and bought a $30 refrigerant leak detector and went over the system myself as I am within 300 miles and a few weeks of being out of warranty. I was able to find the leak at the firewall where the lines enter the evaporator box under the dash. From inside the car the detector went off whenever brought up next to the evaporator box. This leak took me 20 min to find. I have to question why Ford is only using dye as a leak detection method (the service manager stated that that was all they used in this case) when other leak detection methods are available. Needless to say I returned to the dealer with leak detector in hand and they ordered the replacement evaporator. Now my car sits, undriven, waiting for the part to arrive so as not to burn up what little warranty I have.
Old 9/3/14, 11:55 AM

For those with Compressor failures, what did you notice when it happened or leading up to the failure? I ask because my 2011 GT is acting up. In the past week, when the AC cycles on, it causes the idle speed to drop noticeably before getting back to normal. It didn't do that until a week ago. The vehicle has 52,000 miles on it. I have it at the dealer today for them to look at, but it seems like I'm headed for a compressor replacement and a $1000 bill in the near future, which stinks.
Old 3/27/15, 04:10 PM

This is so disappointing Been a huge fan of Mustangs my whole life and just bought a second hand 2012 GT with 21,000 miles. Car is in mint condition and I was in love. I have had the car 3 weeks now and the last few days have been getting super hot (I live in the Caribbean) and the AC was working great in the morning and night but in the middle of the day it was really weak. It started to blow warm air from the drivers side only first (no dual climate on my car) and now the AC only blows warm air. I have an appointment next week to take it in but this is so disheartening for my first Mustang. I just hope it isn't an expensive fix

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning went out...