Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

5.0 Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/13, 05:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
5.0 Oil consumption

I haven't heard too much talk lately about 5.0 oil consumption. I know others have had the problem, so i'm curious to know how long it took to correct itself, or what Ford service has done to test and/or correct the problem.

I've had my 2013 for almost a year now. At about 3,000 miles I got a low oil warning and put in 2 quarts and went back the dealer with the problem. They did an oil change at that time and could find no signs of any leaks. They also said that there was a 10,000 mile break in period before Ford would consider it to be a problem. While waiting for them to do the oil change, I had done some google searches about the problem and also saw a few posts about the break in period as well.

I did my next oil change at 8,000 miles, still missing oil in between, and now at 13,000 miles i'm ready for another change this week.

In this time i've put in 6 quarts of oil, and checking it today, i'm down at least a half a quart now.

Since i'm past the 10K mark the service manager said i'd have to wait, what can I expect them to do to find the problem, or what should I ask them to do?
Old 6/8/13, 07:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Compression leak/down test. Pull the cam covers and inspect for broken valve seals. Check intake system for excess oil puddling.
That is excessive so don't let them tell you "normal".
Rings seat or don't seat within the first hundred miles or so supposedly. Not 10,000 miles. If there isn't a leak beneath the engine, then oil has to be coming by the rings either by a broken compression ring or a defective oil control ring - remember they changed the design for 13 because of 11/12 #8 (ever see smoke?), leaking valve seals, or excessive blow by thru the PCV system. Can you wipe excess carbon out of the exhaust tips?
I can't think of any other path can you?
Have you contacted Deysha?

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/8/13 at 07:13 PM.
Old 6/9/13, 01:21 AM

They tell me normal for the break in period, but not for after that time. I hear/read both sides that it shouldn't happen, and that it can happen. It's the internet after all, everything you see is true, right?

I haven't seen any smoke and didn't know to check the exhaust tips. I'll have to check that in the morning.

They said 10K so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt first, so I haven't contacted Deysha yet. My dealership is one of the good ones around and they have treated me right in the past. I don't want to go over their head yet to get something fixed unless they fail.
Old 6/9/13, 07:45 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend's 13 has not used any up to 7500 when he did the first change so the dealers contention that this is normal is just not so. I had warned him to check the oil frequently.
Old 6/9/13, 11:01 AM
Post *****

Hopefully, some of the other 5.0 owners will chime in how/when their early excessive consumption went to normal.
Old 6/9/13, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

I'll check mine when I get home, haven't checked from 3k-4500 where it currently is but I know for sure it didn't use any from 0-3k.
Old 6/9/13, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

Just checked, hasn't used a drop since I bought it, besides what bob catches.
Old 6/9/13, 03:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My '13 GT ate two quarts in the first 10K miles but it's appetite seems to be waning now. Added an oil cooler at 10k (with an extra half quart) and have added less than half a quart from 10K-15K.
Old 6/9/13, 03:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
My '13 GT ate two quarts in the first 10K miles but it's appetite seems to be waning now. Added an oil cooler at 10k (with an extra half quart) and have added less than half a quart from 10K-15K.
I have the boss oil cooler as well(track pack), not sure if it helps.
Old 6/9/13, 03:56 PM

Looks like a cheap enuff option to add if it does help.
Old 6/9/13, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by denlem
Looks like a cheap enuff option to add if it does help.
Plus you can say "yeah I have the boss oil cooler, I'm kinda of a big deal".
Old 6/11/13, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

My 11 never burned a drop. I also broke my 11 in hard.
Old 6/12/13, 08:33 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't heard too much talk lately about 5.0 oil consumption. I know others have had the problem, so i'm curious to know how long it took to correct itself, or what Ford service has done to test and/or correct the problem.

I've had my 2013 for almost a year now. At about 3,000 miles I got a low oil warning and put in 2 quarts and went back the dealer with the problem. They did an oil change at that time and could find no signs of any leaks. They also said that there was a 10,000 mile break in period before Ford would consider it to be a problem. While waiting for them to do the oil change, I had done some google searches about the problem and also saw a few posts about the break in period as well.
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Compression leak/down test. Pull the cam covers and inspect for broken valve seals. Check intake system for excess oil puddling.Have you contacted Deysha?[/COLOR]
Hi denlem,

As cdynaco mentioned, please let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 6/12/13, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by steven46746
Plus you can say "yeah I have the boss oil cooler, I'm kinda of a big deal".
I like being kinda a big deal. Will watch for oil consumption on mine, only at 110 miles or so right now. I also break in hard per input and experience... Will see how that goes for me
Old 6/12/13, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will your engine oil pressure gauge let you know when the oil is getting low (LCD Screen Gauge)? I found the dipstick to be very unreliable. Especially when you have to manuever it around the strut tower brace.
Old 6/12/13, 11:32 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by dave07
Will your engine oil pressure gauge let you know when the oil is getting low (LCD Screen Gauge)? I found the dipstick to be very unreliable. Especially when you have to manuever it around the strut tower brace.
Hey man - the dip stick is the only reliable way. Forget the digital world and think about it. Measure it before you start the engine for the day and on level of ground as possible.

And no - the oil pressure gauge - even a real one (ours are electronic through the ECM) - will only tell you after you are several quarts low - as in the 'danger zone'. My experience on an OHC has been that by the time the oil pressure gauge is 'fluttering' I have already been hearing the valves clatter from lack of oil up top.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/12/13 at 11:37 AM.
Old 6/12/13, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Hey man - the dip stick is the only reliable way. Forget the digital world and think about it. Measure it before you start the engine for the day and on level of ground as possible.

And no - the oil pressure gauge - even a real one (ours are electronic through the ECM) - will only tell you after you are several quarts low - as in the 'danger zone'. My experience on an OHC has been that by the time the oil pressure gauge is 'fluttering' I have already been hearing the valves clatter from lack of oil up top.
That's what I figured about the digital gauge. It was the same way on my WRX. Once the check oil light turns on, your engine is about toast.

Yea I tried measuring via the dipstick yesterday and apparently I must have pulled some oil up the tube. The dipstick was reading all over the place. I will do what you said and see what I come up with. I hate dipsticks .
Old 6/12/13, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by dave07
When the display first came on at 3,000 miles there was nothing visible on the dipstick. Two quarts were put in, but I forget where it had read on the dipstick but it was safe enough to get to the dealer.

I agree about trying to read the dipstick. It is such a small area to read, and if the oil is clean you can barely see it, if it can be seen at all. Then smudging it against the sides of the dipstick tube doesn't help the matter either. As Charlie said, the best time to check it is after it has been sitting overnight which is what I do. It's a lot easier that when when all the oil has had a chance to drip down and settle.
Old 6/12/13, 01:53 PM

I just called the dealer and made my appointment for Monday. I mentioned the oil problem since the first change and he did verify the 10K break in, but did say it typically takes 3K to 6K depending on how you drive it. I'm easy on it most of the time, so maybe I should be flooring it more often?

He said they will do an oil consumption test. He said they do this by marking the dipstick and the plug. When I feel i'm down a quart I am to bring it in and they will check and add oil as needed. They will do that a couple of times and take it from there.

I'll get Deysha on it too, but it sounds like the dealer is going to do the right thing so far.
Old 6/12/13, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

When the display first came on at 3,000 miles there was nothing visible on the dipstick. Two quarts were put in, but I forget where it had read on the dipstick but it was safe enough to get to the dealer.

I agree about trying to read the dipstick. It is such a small area to read, and if the oil is clean you can barely see it, if it can be seen at all. Then smudging it against the sides of the dipstick tube doesn't help the matter either. As Charlie said, the best time to check it is after it has been sitting overnight which is what I do. It's a lot easier that when when all the oil has had a chance to drip down and settle.
I checked it after work today. It had been sitting for about 10 hours. The two holes were filled with oil but there also was some oil about halfway up the dam dip stick. Whatever, I'm pretty sure there is enough oil in there.

We have the awesome hi-tech engines but at some point, you would think an engineer would have designed a better oil level gauge than a freaking dip stick.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Oil consumption