Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2nd Gear Bite/Notch/Clunk/Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/11, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I finally learned that the noise and feedback I'm experiencing is just nature of this tranny and was because of my habits of shifting. If I shift into second very slow and light, the synchro will push back exhibiting the previously stated noise or feeling. Now if I do a nice solid pull into second, no funky vague bite grind.

This tranny definitely likes a firm grip but not too much. Too little the synchro in 2nd pushes back, to solid you'll miss 3rd a lot. All a learning process. Definitely want the MGW for more solid feedback.

For anyone who is having the similar problem, let the car warm up by double clutching for a few minutes, I double clutch till the engine reaches operating temps. Then just shift solid into second from there on. You'll feel some resistance sometimes but from what I've heard this is just the failure in the feedback of these remote shifters.

I will let you guys know if this gets any worse but for now I believe it was just me and a bad habit. Car shifts great for me ad long as I do what I stated before.
Old 12/14/11, 08:35 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by flySWA737
Well I finally learned that the noise and feedback I'm experiencing is just nature of this tranny and was because of my habits of shifting. If I shift into second very slow and light, the synchro will push back exhibiting the previously stated noise or feeling. Now if I do a nice solid pull into second, no funky vague bite grind.

This tranny definitely likes a firm grip but not too much. Too little the synchro in 2nd pushes back, to solid you'll miss 3rd a lot. All a learning process. Definitely want the MGW for more solid feedback.

For anyone who is having the similar problem, let the car warm up by double clutching for a few minutes, I double clutch till the engine reaches operating temps. Then just shift solid into second from there on. You'll feel some resistance sometimes but from what I've heard this is just the failure in the feedback of these remote shifters.

I will let you guys know if this gets any worse but for now I believe it was just me and a bad habit. Car shifts great for me ad long as I do what I stated before.
I'm so happy to hear your vehicle is back and shifting great for you, flySWA737. Thank you for the feedback!!

Deysha
Old 12/14/11, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:fume:

Just when I thought I had a good one, my 2-3-4 is starting to go *crunch* - 2nd feels like it wants to pop out - Reverse and 1st are getting tougher to move into... I'll be contacting my dealer soon... I'm now convinced.
Old 12/15/11, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
I'm so happy to hear your vehicle is back and shifting great for you, flySWA737. Thank you for the feedback!!

Deysha
Your welcome! Thank you for your help as well. Took me awhile but since I'm an inexperienced manual driver, I definitely expected it. Car has its own personality, just had to find it.

Now back to rippin gears...lol

Last edited by flySWA737; 12/15/11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12/15/11, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kinyodas
:fume:

Just when I thought I had a good one, my 2-3-4 is starting to go *crunch* - 2nd feels like it wants to pop out - Reverse and 1st are getting tougher to move into... I'll be contacting my dealer soon... I'm now convinced.
The crunchy feeling you get is just the vague feeling the stock shifter gives you with all the built in slack on the linkage and rear support. As long as you do not hear the signature grind nothing is really wrong. These remote shifters are testy. Kind of wish we went back to a top loader tranny design but hey this is just what is new and hip.

Just be firm when shifting into gear once she's warmed up and it'll be fine. Definitely what I learned this tranny likes.
Old 12/15/11, 12:02 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinyodas
Kinyodas, if what flySWA737 mentioned does not work for you, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Originally Posted by flySWA737
Your welcome! Thank you for your help as well. Took me awhile but since I'm an inexperienced manual driver, I definitely expected it. Car has its own personality, just had to find it.
Now back to rippin gears...lol
Lol! No problem! I’m glad to be here and that you’re enjoying your ride again!

Deysha