Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2nd Gear Bite/Notch/Clunk/Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/11, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gear Bite/Notch/Clunk/Etc.

Second gear always has been clunky/notchy for me cold/warm. Comes and goes. Dealer has told me twice it's normal so I calmly drive through the 1-2 shift and once in 2nd I open up. Wondering if anyone has got this weird quirk. MTL smoothed out every other gear beautifully except 2nd. Read in Ford's statement about the whole tranny thing that a revision was made to the 2nd gear synchro and really was wondering if this eliminates this quirk.

Don't want this to turn into an MT82 flame war (cause personally I love the way it shifts minus 2nd), just wondering if anyone has had this quirk and alleviated it.
Old 11/15/11, 07:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the exact same issue. MTL helped but now that it's cooler out it's worse. Once it's warmed up it's not so bad, but still a concern. 2nd gear is extremely notchy when it's cold out. My dealer told me the same as yours and offered the tsb. I was going to get it, but since I'll be putting the car away for the winter soon I might just leave the MTL.
Old 11/16/11, 06:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either make the dealer prove its normal with some other cars, or go to a different dealer. Get the regional manager involved if you need to.

We all know it's not normal, and you shouldn't accept no for an answer.
Old 11/16/11, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Definitely feels like the synchro is giving up. Dealers excuse was the gear ratios change at certain RPMs. Cause each gear is a little transformer that can change ratios on the fly.

Well I'm visiting home for thanksgiving so I'm gonna stop by my local dealer for a second opinion.
Old 11/16/11, 08:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lewis that's a good idea. Each time I stopped by them they had no manuals to compare. Just checked their website and they have 4 mt's. I will be calling them.
Old 11/16/11, 09:56 AM
GT Member

Guys.. I posted the same thing.. Some one commented about "double-clutching" 1-2, and even 2-3... HUGE difference...
I was impressed at how smooth 1-2 was even in the cold.. It's not the RIGHT answer.. but it eliminates that wear and clunk on the trans
Old 11/16/11, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

Double clutching is not a solution to a car with synchros.
Old 11/16/11, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Double clutching is not a solution to a car with synchros.

Agreed. I'm fine with double clutching when the tranny is cold but if I have to do it all the time just to use 2nd gear (warm/cold/etc) something is wrong. Its a synchronized tranny.
Old 11/17/11, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Total agreement. But as I said its not correct. I'm gonna talk to my local dealer and see what they say.
Old 11/17/11, 09:10 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by flySWA737
Second gear always has been clunky/notchy for me cold/warm. Comes and goes. Dealer has told me twice it's normal so I calmly drive through the 1-2 shift and once in 2nd I open up.
Originally Posted by Hytek
I have the exact same issue. MTL helped but now that it's cooler out it's worse.
Originally Posted by voyager_1700
Guys.. I posted the same thing..
Originally Posted by voyager_1700
I'm gonna talk to my local dealer and see what they say.
Hello guys,

Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. I’d like to escalate this for you. Just PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 11/17/11, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello guys,

Please make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis as soon as possible. I’d like to escalate this for you. Just PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha

PM sent. Hopefully I can get this resolved.
Old 11/18/11, 10:10 AM

PM sent. Hopefully I can get this resolved.
I sent you a reply, flySWA737!

Deysha
Old 11/22/11, 12:52 PM

You're not alone flySWA737! Bought my car new back in August, and this has been going on for the past month or so. I'm not sure how bad your situation is, but there are times where I have to pull very hard just to get into second (or downshift into first). Which creates a scary situation in the middle of an intersection. However there are times when it works just fine.

If you learn anything, please fill everyone in! I would love to get this resolved
Old 11/24/11, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mattv6
You're not alone flySWA737! Bought my car new back in August, and this has been going on for the past month or so. I'm not sure how bad your situation is, but there are times where I have to pull very hard just to get into second (or downshift into first). Which creates a scary situation in the middle of an intersection. However there are times when it works just fine.

If you learn anything, please fill everyone in! I would love to get this resolved
I will. On vacation right now but have the car scheduled to be looked at next Friday. Ford reworked the blocker ring spacing on the 2nd gear synchro which is known to cause gear clash and resistance with shifting into second. It's documented in their release to the NHTSA in one of the appendixes. My car was built two months before the revision was applied to the line.

Should be a simple fix.
Old 11/29/11, 12:45 AM

I do hope this fix helps, and would be great if it was that simple! Don't want to change the topic on this forum too much, but I've noticed a few people going with the Redline MTL transmission fluid for their Mustangs. Any thoughts on me making this move as well? You see any notable changes?
Thanks.
Old 11/29/11, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by mattv6
Hi mattv6,

I’d like to escalate this for you as well. Please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your mileage, dealer, and contact info. I have your VIN from our previous contact.

Deysha
Old 11/29/11, 09:31 PM

I will. On vacation right now but have the car scheduled to be looked at next Friday. Ford reworked the blocker ring spacing on the 2nd gear synchro which is known to cause gear clash and resistance with shifting into second. It's documented in their release to the NHTSA in one of the appendixes. My car was built two months before the revision was applied to the line.

Should be a simple fix.
Do you happen to know when they made that revision? I've had the TSB done but am still experiencing the same 2nd gear issues you mention. Thanks!
Old 11/29/11, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

The TSB fluid is ****. Redline MTL is good stuff but it seems like y'all still have issues. I'd either switch over to Amsoil MTG or Royal Purple 75w90 Max Gear oil. If you don't want to then I'd take the car in and have the transmission taken apart and have the internals replaced if need be.
Old 11/30/11, 02:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Quality issues persist with this gearbox. They really should just go back to sourcing these boxes domestically. Tremecs were by no means angels but I think they put these Getrags to shame.
Old 12/1/11, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye
Do you happen to know when they made that revision? I've had the TSB done but am still experiencing the same 2nd gear issues you mention. Thanks!
Please send me your info as well, BrutusBuckeye! I can escalate this for you also.

Deysha

Quick Reply: 2nd Gear Bite/Notch/Clunk/Etc.