Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 GT Cruising Engine Surge

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/14, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a throttle lag in the factory tune, which really doesn't do us manual trans owners any favors. Once I loaded the Track Cal tune I couldn't believe how much smoother I was able to shift the car.

Also the ring & pinion seem to come from the factory with a lot of backlash dialed in, which only makes that "see-saw" effect on the drivetrain worse. It's not the 2-piece drive shaft causing it.
Old 7/1/14, 09:28 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133
Also the ring & pinion seem to come from the factory with a lot of backlash dialed in, which only makes that "see-saw" effect on the drivetrain worse. It's not the 2-piece drive shaft causing it.
THANK YOU!
Old 7/2/14, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133
There is a throttle lag in the factory tune, which really doesn't do us manual trans owners any favors. Once I loaded the Track Cal tune I couldn't believe how much smoother I was able to shift the car.

Old 7/2/14, 04:41 PM

I've noticed the throttle lag on my manual 2014 GT (Premium w/ Track Pkg). Once a week I still drive my old Celica GTS (also manual 6), so I get the contrast on the throttle response whenever changing cars.

The throttle response lag and lesser engine breaking on the Mustang do make me wonder if I should get the track key and its tune.

(Celica driving days: 'where's my power??'. Feels like driving a zippy little go-cart now...Waiting for nephew to get a job so I can hand over the keys to the Celica.)
Old 7/3/14, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My '13 5.0 had the usual slow throttle response, but never stumbled during the first year I had it; then it would effectively shut off during the first gas pedal depression after a cold start, if as was my custom, I just let it idle down the block to the first stop sign. Irritating but not debilitating.

Then I added the FRPP ProCal tune (no modifications, no CAI), and cured everything. Mr Ford Factory needs to copy this into every 5.0 off the assembly line. Fifteen or so more horses, sixty more torques at 1500 rpm! I can practically idle around town in fifth gear.
Old 7/21/14, 12:03 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwntyme
I've had this issue with both my 2011 5.0 and now my 2014 roush s2. The dealer tells me that it is normal
The surge that is not being explained here is ;
No matter cold or hot the engine will surge between 2k -2500 rpm as you level out no matter what gear mine has the MT82 trans but it feels as if (like on an automatic) goes in an out of overdrive.

Other issue is tick after first oil change done by dealer dealer says this is normal(sounds like a lifter taping or clutch disk damping springs be loose in their cage). Thanks.

Edit. Im to the point to where I will say forget the dealer and make the repairs myself. Fed up with the run around of in competent techs (parts replacers)
Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area, Dwntyme. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 8/21/14, 06:15 PM

My 2014 GT surges badly as well and has since the day I got it. You would think Ford would have came up with a fix by now. Seems this and the tick have been a problem for some time.
Old 9/3/14, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by frank s
My '13 5.0 had the usual slow throttle response, but never stumbled during the first year I had it; then it would effectively shut off during the first gas pedal depression after a cold start, if as was my custom, I just let it idle down the block to the first stop sign. Irritating but not debilitating.

Then I added the FRPP ProCal tune (no modifications, no CAI), and cured everything. Mr Ford Factory needs to copy this into every 5.0 off the assembly line. Fifteen or so more horses, sixty more torques at 1500 rpm! I can practically idle around town in fifth gear.
Frank S,

Where can I get the FRPP ProCal tune, and would it void my warranty?

Thanks in advance!
Old 9/3/14, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Buy Ford Racing has the same products as Ford Racing Performance Parts, usually at much better prices.
Old 9/2/15, 03:06 PM

The problem is the latency in the phasers. Mechanical vs electronic. The tolerances are not close enough
Old 10/8/15, 07:20 PM

Thread

Originally Posted by Mustang_67
I have a few hundred miles on my 2014 Mustang GT Premium (w/ Track Pack) manual transmission and when I'm driving between 20 to 40 MPH on a flat or slightly downhill street it’s difficult to hold it at an even speed - the engine bucks or surges. It’s like if you press on the throttle then off throttle over and over again. It’s getting annoying. I read one post about cleaning the MAF with special spray - which I did, but still surges around that speed. I've also tested it at different RPM's (ie 2200 thru 3500). When I'm stopped at idle it sits right at 800 RPM or if I'm constantly pressing on the gas its fine. Its when trying to hold it at an even speed around 20 thru 40 MPH that it surges.

>> Any ideas or thoughts?
I have the same car and mine does this also when I first start out cold but when the engine warms up it goes away. Thread
Old 10/8/15, 07:20 PM

I have the same car and mine does this also when I first start out cold but when the engine warms up it goes away. Thread
Old 9/25/17, 08:18 AM

So is there really any real solution? The constant speed jumping I wrote off a long time ago as "normal" due to a combo of the cam timing change, clutch, clutch line expansion and 2 piece driveshaft. However, I started experiencing crazy idle surge and severe knocking through 2400 rpm right around 22,000 miles. I've been to all 3 dealerships here in Las Vegas. I've had new heads put on, new maf, new battery, new intake setup, countless "cleanings" of the air intake setup and sensors, fuel injectors checked and spark checked. all warranty covered. overall about 22 trips to a dealership over the last year. Every time it was better but, None of which resolved the issue completely. Finally I reached my year 3 cutoff for warranty and it's back to surging. Bad enough that at a cold start now it smells like a carbureted setup running waaaaay too rich. It's only got 33,000 miles on it. Smh... it still does the constant speed bucking but it's at all speeds now like it's missing. Any thoughts? Or similar escalations? And the ticking sound... don't get me started on the ticking sound. So fed up

- Jonathan

Last edited by Jon Scallion; 9/25/17 at 08:26 AM.
Old 9/27/17, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon Scallion
So is there really any real solution? The constant speed jumping I wrote off a long time ago as "normal" due to a combo of the cam timing change, clutch, clutch line expansion and 2 piece driveshaft. However, I started experiencing crazy idle surge and severe knocking through 2400 rpm right around 22,000 miles. I've been to all 3 dealerships here in Las Vegas. I've had new heads put on, new maf, new battery, new intake setup, countless "cleanings" of the air intake setup and sensors, fuel injectors checked and spark checked. all warranty covered. overall about 22 trips to a dealership over the last year. Every time it was better but, None of which resolved the issue completely. Finally I reached my year 3 cutoff for warranty and it's back to surging. Bad enough that at a cold start now it smells like a carbureted setup running waaaaay too rich. It's only got 33,000 miles on it. Smh... it still does the constant speed bucking but it's at all speeds now like it's missing. Any thoughts? Or similar escalations? And the ticking sound... don't get me started on the ticking sound. So fed up

- Jonathan
I've had this issue since new on my '12 Boss. I ran a data log & asked a tuner to review. He said he' s seen it before & thinks it's something in the EGR system. He only recommended to replace the plugs gapped @.045. It really hasn't helped much if at all. Interestingly my original ones were SP519 Iridium & the recommended replacements are SP548 Platinum, both from Motorcraft
Like the sloppy drivetrain, I live with the surge right between the throttle on/off point.
Old 10/1/17, 05:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Going to back-track a bit here.... I replaced the SP519's with the SP548's this weekend and while not perfect, my 5.0 is a lot smoother between 2-2.5K.... A real pleasure drive.

Originally Posted by SVOGT302
I've had this issue since new on my '12 Boss. I ran a data log & asked a tuner to review. He said he' s seen it before & thinks it's something in the EGR system. He only recommended to replace the plugs gapped @.045. It really hasn't helped much if at all. Interestingly my original ones were SP519 Iridium & the recommended replacements are SP548 Platinum, both from Motorcraft
Like the sloppy drivetrain, I live with the surge right between the throttle on/off point.