Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 brake light and rear vibration/noise

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/14, 03:17 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 brake light and rear vibration/noise

I picked up a new 2014 v6 DIB premium/Pony, auto, 3.31 rear off the lot late October, and had the "advance trac" warning came on during the drive home. I also noticed I had no brake lights, unless I was pressing really hard when stopped.
I took it back to the dealer, about 45 mins away in Langhorn PA. about 4 times. They said the brake light switch was not adjusted right (first trip), then replacing it (2nd visit) and replacing the switch 2 times (the 3rd visit) saying the remote starter was burning out the switch. I had to go back to re-connect the remote starter (4th visit) and they added a 1000 ohm resister in series with the remote starter sense wire to keep this from happening again. I had the dealer install the remote starter before I picked up the car, so at least they could not blame anyone else for the problem.

At that time (new) I also complained about the rear end having a rumble/sound at 55-60 mph, and was told it was normal and on this car you are sitting closer to the rear end so it would be louder. In their defense, I did not take them for a ride in the car to show them exactly what was going on and I was happy to have brake lights again.

Now 4,600 miles later, I still get an Advance Trac warning from time to time, and the rear noise/vibration is still there, maybe a little more intense now.

I think the brake light switch is adjusted too low (you can slow the car before they light) and once in a while I get the Advance Trac warning and it seems to down shift funny and clunk when stopping.
The rear noise is still there, to the point something needs to be done. I am ashamed of taking it out with others in the car.

I am going to try the local dealer close to home next week.
For warrenty work, will the dealer provide a loaner?
Fingers crossed, wish me luck!
Old 5/6/14, 05:17 AM
V6 Member

Called the dealer on Friday, he said to come in and have a mechanic take a ride and see what I was talking about with the rear noise/vibration. Went in Monday and they were too busy to take a ride and check it. The earliest they can take the car is in 3 weeks. I may just go back to the dealer 45 mins. away.
Old 5/7/14, 06:49 AM
V6 Member

Took a ride to the dealer I purchased it from, they could take me tomorrow. I settled on dropping it off late Monday for Tuesday. This is #5 for the brake light issue, #2 for the rear noise. I am happy they are going to get me a loaner car.
The one other time I had a loaner, it was a triple black 2013 GT rag top! sadly it was like 12 degrees out.
Old 5/7/14, 09:40 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by snarlman
I picked up a new 2014 v6 DIB premium/Pony, auto, 3.31 rear off the lot late October, and had the "advance trac" warning came on during the drive home. I also noticed I had no brake lights, unless I was pressing really hard when stopped. ...
Hey snarlman,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 5/7/14, 03:25 PM
V6 Member

Thank You Deysha,
The Information was PM'd. A little more on the brake llight issue. I spoke with the dealer mechanic and he feels the issue lies with the dealer installed remote start.
Thanks again!
Jeff
Old 5/7/14, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't feel so bad, my bro's Focus has been the dealer for 5 weeks already. For a squeak in the rear and a motor vibration. What a joke. Talk about embarrassing.
Old 5/13/14, 03:48 PM
V6 Member

I dropped off the car after work on Monday, and they will keep it at least another day.
They are working on the rear control module (not sure if that is the right name, it uses a communication line and a large power line instead of multiple lines) for the back half of the car and will be testing more tomorrow. I also hope they find the noise/vibration in back too.
I also received a call (missed it) from the Ford rep. while dropping off the car.
Things are looking up. Will keep you posted and the end result.
They loaned me a KIA Optima. Free wheels, I won't be picky.
Old 5/14/14, 10:07 AM

I dropped off the car after work on Monday, and they will keep it at least another day.
They are working on the rear control module (not sure if that is the right name, it uses a communication line and a large power line instead of multiple lines) for the back half of the car and will be testing more tomorrow. I also hope they find the noise/vibration in back too.
I also received a call (missed it) from the Ford rep. while dropping off the car.
Things are looking up. Will keep you posted and the end result.
They loaned me a KIA Optima. Free wheels, I won't be picky.
Thank you for the update, snarlman!

Deysha
Old 5/14/14, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

I just received a call from the service writer. He said they re-routed the remote start sense wire from the brake switch to someplace else farther back in the car. This, after saying in prior conversation, that the installer has done many mustangs all the same way and thinking it may be the rear power module. Either way, if it works I am happy.

For the rear end noise/vibration, he said three people took it out, 10 miles each, no noise could be found.
He is going to keep it another day, and said he will personally take it for a test in the am.

Will keep you posted.

On the lighter side, driving the KIA makes me feel just like McQueen.
Old 5/15/14, 10:24 AM
V6 Member

I called the dealer, the service advisor said he took it out this am, and found nothing (did not hear it) on the noise in the rear.
I am stuck at work, so my wife will pick up the car, and I will bring it back next week (I am on the early shift then), and have someone ride with me.
I know the noise not tooth filling rattling and ear splitting, but it is there and has been since new.
Fingers crossed this is the end of the "advance track warning" too.
Now at 5k miles, issues started on the trip home from the dealer.
This was visit 5 for the lights, 2 for the rear.
At least the renta-KIA is going back.
Old 5/15/14, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[...]
On the lighter side, driving the KIA makes me feel just like McQueen.
Butterfly?

"I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no KIAs".

(Gone With The Wind reference)

(I'll get my coat...)
Old 5/21/14, 05:16 AM
V6 Member

Well, I managed to take the car for a longer ride than usual, and the noise is still there in the rear. Its sort of a rumble/vibration.
I set up an appointment, so when I go after work someone (hopefully a mechanic) will go for a ride with me so I can show them first hand.
Old 5/21/14, 07:55 AM

Well, I managed to take the car for a longer ride than usual, and the noise is still there in the rear. Its sort of a rumble/vibration.
I set up an appointment, so when I go after work someone (hopefully a mechanic) will go for a ride with me so I can show them first hand.
Thank you for the update, snarlman.

Deysha
Old 5/23/14, 12:19 PM
V6 Member

Unhappy

Well I went back to the dealer on the 21st, both the Tech and the service manager went for rides with me. I was surprised at the road they use to test, it was well worn (route 95) and sounded a little like pavement when ground down for resurfacing. Their test "loop" was real short, so I lengthened it in hopes the road would get better.
I could just make out the noise, over the tires and road, so I can see how they could not hear it.
Heck I heard it this morning over the shaker audio on the way to work.
The SM said he checked with Ford and no similar cases were found.
I guess I will have to find a road near by the dealer that is fairly smooth, and get them out with me again.
At 5300 miles, I guess I can be a little patient and see if it gets worse.
Old 5/28/14, 12:08 PM
V6 Member

The service manager called me and said he took out a new mustang, similar to mine, and said it makes the same noise. I find that very hard to believe.
I guess now its up to me to find a smooth road, not the washboard they test cars on, and have them come along. Then maybe take ME for a ride in one of the new noisey mustangs.
Old 6/5/14, 09:30 AM

The service manager called me and said he took out a new mustang, similar to mine, and said it makes the same noise. I find that very hard to believe.
I guess now its up to me to find a smooth road, not the washboard they test cars on, and have them come along. Then maybe take ME for a ride in one of the new noisey mustangs.
If you don’t agree with the findings, you should try to go on a ride with him, or get a second opinion from a different Ford Dealer, snarlman.

Deysha
Old 6/6/14, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

Deysha,
I do intend to take him for another ride. Both the Service manager and tech took separate rides with me, but their choice of roads (I am not from that area) were worn and noisey, like the pavement was ground or something.
I will seek out a smoother road and go back as soon as I can.
Thank you for all your help!
Jeff
Old 6/6/14, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can hear some type of noise in the rear of my 14 GT with the automatic. I took the service advisor for a ride in mine and he said mine was normal road noise. I don't buy that since I didn't notice it when the car was newer but of course I had a Roush AB on the car back then and all I could hear was the exhaust. I now have a GT500 AB and it's not as loud. I have about 5,900 miles on the car and will just continue to drive it until it gets loud enough to really hear. Hope you get yours fixed.

Wayne
Old 6/8/14, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same car with a 6 speed but the normal rear. I have no noise from the rear like you are describing. I am calling bull**** on your dealer... Sorry, I have had my own dealer issues related to my transmission, so I totally feel your pain. I suggest a second opinion from another dealer. Also, ask the customer service rep to check into what they submitted to technical support and what the reply was. It could be more interesting than you think. Good luck bro - we are all in this together At least its a fun ride despite the issues!
Old 6/10/14, 07:23 AM

Deysha,
I do intend to take him for another ride. Both the Service manager and tech took separate rides with me, but their choice of roads (I am not from that area) were worn and noisey, like the pavement was ground or something.
I will seek out a smoother road and go back as soon as I can.
Thank you for all your help!
No problem, snarlman!

Originally Posted by 70monte
I can hear some type of noise in the rear of my 14 GT with the automatic. I took the service advisor for a ride in mine and he said mine was normal road noise. I don't buy that since I didn't notice it when the car was newer but of course I had a Roush AB on the car back then and all I could hear was the exhaust. I now have a GT500 AB and it's not as loud. I have about 5,900 miles on the car and will just continue to drive it until it gets loud enough to really hear. Hope you get yours fixed.
You’re welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealer, 70monte. Let me know if you do.

Deysha

Quick Reply: 2014 brake light and rear vibration/noise