Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 5.0 Transmission Issue

Old 11/13/14, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 5.0 Transmission Issue

Well where should I start? I guess ill start with this being my first post on this forum. I came over to this forum in hopes of getting some much needed opinions on my situation with my local dealer. Dropped my 2014 5.0 off at Bill Knight Ford here in Tulsa Ok. 3rd-4th intermittent grind, 4-5 grinds all the time and clutch makes a hissing noise when releasing pedal. I dropped it off and the next day received a call saying the master tech diagnosed the car as driver abuse and said the synchros from 3rd-6th are all shot an clutch is trashed. Without having taken anything apart. They refuse to warranty the work. Their exact words were "if we take the trans apart and bring in a inspector, he will find that the issue was driver abuse and not manufacture defect, resulting in a $5k bill". I simply told them the clutch made a hissing noise, i never had an issue with it slipping or not disengaging or engaging properly. Unless he was doing burnouts and 60' launches in it, he wouldnt have felt an issue either. Now, i will say its a bolt-on intake exhaust car, with an mgw an alum ds. but they never once mentioned mods being the issue. So i kinda feel like they are just giving me the runaround. I have involved Deysha an keeping her up to date, she has escalated my case an assigned a rep to me.(THANK YOU DEYSHA) I would also like to get some good feedback from this reputable forum. Thanks guys!
-Alex
Old 11/13/14, 08:41 PM

I will also add that this car is well maintained and not abused. Its simply enjoyed and driven like a mustang should be? Its a wknd pleasure vehicle, not a track car.

Also, the service dept. Told me that there is not a single 2014 5.0 with mt82 or clutch issues in the country according to their "hotline". Hell, every other post is a complaint about this anemic transmission we have all been blessed with, good grief.
Old 11/13/14, 08:44 PM

13,713mi on the clock
Old 11/13/14, 08:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Just go to a different dealer.
Old 11/13/14, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Just go to a different dealer.
Thought about that, but would the next dealer see that ive already visited 1 prior?
Old 11/15/14, 04:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by noszx10r327
Thought about that, but would the next dealer see that ive already visited 1 prior?
You would think so, but they don't have time to research every vehicle coming through the door. Only if you give the next dealership service shop the full story will they think to pull up the history. Chances are that the current shop won't even log too much in the computer if you leave without any work being performed.
Old 11/15/14, 12:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I doubt the previous shop did ANYTHING at all to your vehicle, short of driving it into a bay, and making a wild-***-guess as to what the problem was.

Take it to a reputable dealer with a good service department.
Old 11/24/14, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
this is the TSB i had done and it fixed it, get it done asap.. my gears were grinding 1st to 2nd

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb11-11-01.pdf
Old 1/2/15, 05:22 PM

Position pins on flywheel

I will also add that this car is well maintained and not abused. Its simply enjoyed and driven like a mustang should be? Its a wknd pleasure vehicle, not a track car.

Also, the service dept. Told me that there is not a single 2014 5.0 with mt82 or clutch issues in the country according to their "hotline". Hell, every other post is a complaint about this anemic transmission we have all been blessed with, good grief.
So we had our 2011 gt for about 9 months when it started shifting strangely. Not all the time but with increasing frequency strange clutch uptake feel, grinding of gears, hard shifting from neutral gate to any gear. But all of these problems where transient, finally while dropping off our new grandcherokee hemi at the jeep/Chrysler dealer the entire clutch/transmition assembly totally lockup in third gear. My wife carefully And skill fully nurses it off the highway and into the dealer lot then shut off the ignition. Chrysler garage laughed their @## off. Ford came and rescued us and gave us a Mkz loaner. Turned out there are 3 placement pins used to align the flywheel clutch assembly. These are Suppose to be the strongest parts in the whole assembly but they had been shearing off 1 At a time. Cause ing the intermittent and increasingly worse clutch/tranny problems. When the final one snapped the clutch was displaced out of alignment and froze. At least this is what the ford factory rep who looked at the disassembled parts told us. So they replaced everything from flywheel back to tranny. That was appx at 9M miles and 3'yrs later still holding together but clutch pedal seems to be getting heavier. Or I need to hit the gym harder. Rep said their was no other report of this he could find but there may be now. Might want to ask them anyway. My wife drives this mostly so it never been Abused. Hope that helps someone?
Old 4/1/15, 05:39 PM

Trust me this transmission is garbage as well as all other getrag transmissions I'm a ford certified technician and have one of these in my bay for way too long now. Abuse is bull**** because the one I have in my stall there is visual proof of abuse (no rear tires, rubber build up on quarters, clutch roasted in 22k input shaft snapped, synchros stripped) as for the mechanic not performing tear down, I don't blame him. Manuals unlike automatics only so little can go wrong and per our ford hotline if something is wrong in a certain gear everything in that gear gets replaced (gears synchros etc) now my rant is ever since I rebuilt this trans (no replacement units available) and fixed the guys concern there is a gear roll over noise on decel with car in gear. Now the photo is 5th gears synchro ring you can visually see the guy can't shift with how stripped back the engagement teeth are
Attached Thumbnails 2014 5.0 Transmission Issue-image.jpg  
Old 4/2/15, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well where should I start? I guess ill start with this being my first post on this forum. I came over to this forum in hopes of getting some much needed opinions on my situation with my local dealer. Dropped my 2014 5.0 off at Bill Knight Ford here in Tulsa Ok. 3rd-4th intermittent grind, 4-5 grinds all the time and clutch makes a hissing noise when releasing pedal. I dropped it off and the next day received a call saying the master tech diagnosed the car as driver abuse and said the synchros from 3rd-6th are all shot an clutch is trashed. Without having taken anything apart. They refuse to warranty the work. Their exact words were "if we take the trans apart and bring in a inspector, he will find that the issue was driver abuse and not manufacture defect, resulting in a $5k bill". I simply told them the clutch made a hissing noise, i never had an issue with it slipping or not disengaging or engaging properly. Unless he was doing burnouts and 60' launches in it, he wouldnt have felt an issue either. Now, i will say its a bolt-on intake exhaust car, with an mgw an alum ds. but they never once mentioned mods being the issue. So i kinda feel like they are just giving me the runaround. I have involved Deysha an keeping her up to date, she has escalated my case an assigned a rep to me.(THANK YOU DEYSHA) I would also like to get some good feedback from this reputable forum. Thanks guys!
-Alex
Hey man. I have the same issues as you do. I was completely locked out of gears a few nights ago and it started driving fine after a few miles of forcing it into gear to get home. My clutch has been making a hissing noise lately too when taking up the clutch to take off from a stop or move in reverse. I had the clutch bled with a pressurized bleeder and it felt good for maybe 2 days and now the drivability feels worse than before, like the car is down on power and very notchy, like the clutch isn't disengaging.

What happened with your car and what was the diagnosis?
Old 4/3/15, 01:16 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mug-stang
Hey man. I have the same issues as you do. I was completely locked out of gears a few nights ago and it started driving fine after a few miles of forcing it into gear to get home. My clutch has been making a hissing noise lately too when taking up the clutch to take off from a stop or move in reverse. I had the clutch bled with a pressurized bleeder and it felt good for maybe 2 days and now the drivability feels worse than before, like the car is down on power and very notchy, like the clutch isn't disengaging.

What happened with your car and what was the diagnosis?
Have you addressed this with your dealer yet, Mug-stang?

Deysha
Old 4/4/15, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deysha.

Yes I am bringing it to Koons Ford of Baltimore in Maryland Monday morning. I was in contact with a service manager there, Paul, and the sales manager I bought my car from, Ray, and it seems like they are going to help me out. Paul told me he would get me a loaner car too. This car is my DD and if the slave cylinder is bad, and if any of my gears or synchros are damaged from that one night of being locked out of gear, the car could be there a long time and I would need a loaner car.

I hope they will follow through with a loaner and I had a good relationship with the sales manager. I totalled my first mustang I bought from him, and when I went back to get the second one, my current car, he was promoted to sales manager. We had a good relationship and if he has my back I'm pretty sure I'll have a good experience depending on how they treat the car while it's being serviced and depending on the work they actually do.

Would it be a good idea to escalate this anyway? I just want them to take care of the car. I.e. The paint, interior, no dents, etc, and to really give the transmission, pressure plate, and slave cylinder a good look.
Old 4/6/15, 08:10 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mug-stang
Deysha.

Yes I am bringing it to Koons Ford of Baltimore in Maryland Monday morning. ...
That’s great, Mug-stang. It’s up to you if you’d like this escalated or not. Let me know what happens today and PM me with your info if needed.

Deysha