Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 Low Fuel Warning

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/13, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Low Fuel Warning

Hello,

I purchased a 2013 Ford Mustang in November of 2012. I've accumulated just over 5,000 miles on the vehicle, and have been extremely pleased with its performance. I've noticed something odd over the past two weeks, however.

As is the case with other Mustang models of this year, the vehicle is equipped with a low-fuel warning message that appears when the vehicle is within fifty miles of empty. However, the last two times I've received a low-fuel warning, my Mustang has had roughly half of a tank of gas remaining, according to the needle on the fuel cage. I believe that the needle is accurate, because when I've refilled my tank, the amount needed to fill the tank completely corresponds to the rough amount that the needle indicates is missing, which leads me to believe that the problem is related to a computer malfunction.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know what may be causing it? I recently had the Mustang serviced, and they suggested that I bring the vehicle to the dealership the next time I receive a warning, and they will document how much gas is in the tank. I have just over half a tank of gas now, and am anticipating another warning. Thanks!

Edit: I've noticed no changes in the overall engine performance of the vehicle. I always use premium fuel for the Mustang, as this is what I used previously for an earlier model Mustang.

Last edited by RKMeibalane; 4/30/13 at 05:28 PM.
Old 4/30/13, 05:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah it's most definitely a computer problem , I'm not sure how they go about fixing that but it's probably not much. Go by the needle for certainty
Old 4/30/13, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Yeah it's most definitely a computer problem , I'm not sure how they go about fixing that but it's probably not much. Go by the needle for certainty
As the vehicle's under warranty, my serviceman didn't seem to think I'd be responsible for the cost of a new computer component, but they wanted to document what was happening just to be safe, so that Ford was comfortable furnishing me with a new part or parts.

Thank you for your quick response.
Old 4/30/13, 05:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane

As the vehicle's under warranty, my serviceman didn't seem to think I'd be responsible for the cost of a new computer component, but they wanted to document what was happening just to be safe, so that Ford was comfortable furnishing me with a new part or parts.

Thank you for your quick response.
No prob! Computers in these cars have a hefty price tag so they might try to feed you some bs but I see them paying for it, you could of done nothing to make what has happened, happen.
Old 4/30/13, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello,

I purchased a 2013 Ford Mustang in November of 2012. I've accumulated just over 5,000 miles on the vehicle, and have been extremely pleased with its performance. I've noticed something odd over the past two weeks, however.

As is the case with other Mustang models of this year, the vehicle is equipped with a low-fuel warning message that appears when the vehicle is within fifty miles of empty. However, the last two times I've received a low-fuel warning, my Mustang has had roughly half of a tank of gas remaining, according to the needle on the fuel cage. I believe that the needle is accurate, because when I've refilled my tank, the amount needed to fill the tank completely corresponds to the rough amount that the needle indicates is missing, which leads me to believe that the problem is related to a computer malfunction.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know what may be causing it? I recently had the Mustang serviced, and they suggested that I bring the vehicle to the dealership the next time I receive a warning, and they will document how much gas is in the tank. I have just over half a tank of gas now, and am anticipating another warning. Thanks!

Edit: I've noticed no changes in the overall engine performance of the vehicle. I always use premium fuel for the Mustang, as this is what I used previously for an earlier model Mustang.
I'm pretty sure it goes by your last AMPG driving style from your last reset. Meaning, if you only got 200 miles (lead foot) on the last tank and reset at fill up, it thinks you can only go 200 miles or so per tank. So if your driving style this time is very pacified (no lead foot) the warning comes on at 150 miles because it thinks it can only go to 200 miles, but this is all speculation, I could be waaaay off. Lol
Old 4/30/13, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
No prob! Computers in these cars have a hefty price tag so they might try to feed you some bs but I see them paying for it, you could of done nothing to make what has happened, happen.
After all, why would I want buy gas more often?
Old 4/30/13, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I'm pretty sure it goes by your last AMPG driving style from your last reset. Meaning, if you only got 200 miles (lead foot) on the last tank and reset at fill up, it thinks you can only go 200 miles or so per tank. So if your driving style this time is very pacified (no lead foot) the warning comes on at 150 miles because it thinks it can only go to 200 miles, but this is all speculation, I could be waaaay off. Lol
I thought about that, as I often will fill up the tank at just past the halfway mark when traveling, in order to ensure that I never have to worry about running out of gas. That has nothing to do with the vehicle itself. It's more of a personal rule that I follow so that I'm never in danger of being stranded somewhere.
Old 4/30/13, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I'm pretty sure ... I could be waaaay off. Lol
Yes.

Ford has had previous fuel-level-indicator problems in Mustangs. I had one that, the more I drove, the fuller the tank got! I took it in just before it ran over, and they replaced a tank sensor in one side of the saddles, according to a TSB. Car was a 2006 V6; I haven't heard of problems in more recent cars.

The way I speculate, the displayed AVG MPG is multiplied by the amount in the tank to give the MILES TO EMPTY figure. On my recent cars it has been surprisingly accurate.

(*) I keep the tank pretty full, most times, except the week of an autocross, when the compromise between weight and (**) keeping a half-tank for the pressure head is the critical factor.

(*) I don't want to be one of those waiting in line for gasoline when we have to evacuate and flee a wildfire.

(**) Gasoline weighs about six pounds to the gallon, I think, and received knowledge is that the stock fuel pump can't keep up with wide-open throttle without the added pressure generated by a half-tank of fuel.
Old 5/1/13, 09:39 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hello,

As is the case with other Mustang models of this year, the vehicle is equipped with a low-fuel warning message that appears when the vehicle is within fifty miles of empty. However, the last two times I've received a low-fuel warning, my Mustang has had roughly half of a tank of gas remaining, according to the needle on the fuel cage...
Hello RKMeibalane,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 7/1/13, 08:27 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I had the same problem with my 2011 5.0Gt it is the fuel sending unit in the fuel tanks. There is TSB on this problem. Take it in to your dealer and have them pull it up it is a VERY well documented factory defect and they know all about it. Took mine in and thats what I had to have replaced. seems to show up at apx 1/2 tank and will say 0 miles to empty some times and some times it says 5 miles to empty its a hard problem for you to show them and my dealer would NOT!!! do any fix till they saw it happen. I had Deysha help me get them to fix it. She is the greatest!!!!!! She got involved and things suddenly got approved that I could not get my ford dealer to fix before she helped me.All I can say is when she gets involved in your case things get FIXED!!!!. She is the best. Get her on your service case and she will get things done that you cant get done with out her help. I cant say enough about how good she is and how fast things get done with her on the case. Good luck.

Last edited by COYOTE DAVE; 7/1/13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 7/3/13, 06:57 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by COYOTE DAVE
Just wanted to let you know that I had the same problem with my 2011 5.0Gt it is the fuel sending unit in the fuel tanks. There is TSB on this problem. Take it in to your dealer and have them pull it up it is a VERY well documented factory defect and they know all about it. Took mine in and thats what I had to have replaced. seems to show up at apx 1/2 tank and will say 0 miles to empty some times and some times it says 5 miles to empty its a hard problem for you to show them and my dealer would NOT!!! do any fix till they saw it happen. I had Deysha help me get them to fix it. She is the greatest!!!!!! She got involved and things suddenly got approved that I could not get my ford dealer to fix before she helped me.All I can say is when she gets involved in your case things get FIXED!!!!. She is the best. Get her on your service case and she will get things done that you cant get done with out her help. I cant say enough about how good she is and how fast things get done with her on the case. Good luck.
Thank you for the kind words, COYOTE DAVE!

Deysha