Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 GT with problems

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/12, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flySWA737
I dont believe that a finish defect will qualify your car as a lemon. Have you gone back to your dealer to show them the finish?
I agree I'm expecting Ford to say repaint is the only option. The fact that it has to be reprinted I would think affects value though. My intentions are to trade it at some point. The dealer I bought it from is in Northern CA and I'm in Southern CA. The dealers local to me give me the run around. Last one I went to suggested I leave my car for a few days. They suggested putting me in a rental until they had the ok for warranty from Ford. The whole situation has me stressed. I'm not even due for my first car payment yet!

Last edited by StangGT; 5/23/12 at 05:00 PM.
Old 5/23/12, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by SCHMOKN
What kind of clay bar are you using? Is it what you get at the auto parts stores? If so go to a auto detail supply shop. They will have clay that is more aggresive than say Maguires.
I tried Maquiers clay the first time. The second time I took it to a detail shop and no luck. They said its under the clear and repaint is only fix.
Old 5/23/12, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Agreed, I had to have the passenger front door panel replaced on my last car, and they repainted the entire side of the car to blend the color. No noticeable difference all the way around. Good body shops can work miracles.
yep!!

I have seen some stuff that would raise the hair on your head -- like a Z8 was run up against a guard rail and left a gaping hole in the side of the car (mind you this car was 3 days old and sticker with premium was close to $200,000) -- remember this is an aluminum body car

We sent out to VPC (prep center) and it didnt come back for over 2 months... and we were skeptical about the outcome.

A Flat bed dropped this thing in the drive and with at least 12 people inspecting the car, it was frikkin flawless....

but the bill from the factory was close to 65k also... so i guess you get what you pay for....
Old 5/23/12, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangGT
I agree I'm expecting Ford to say repaint is the only option. The fact that it has to be reprinted I would think affects value though. My intentions are to trade it at some point. The dealer I bought it from is in Northern CA and I'm in Southern CA. The dealers local to me give me the run around. Last one I went to suggested I leave my car for a few days. They suggested putting me in a rental until they had the ok for warranty from Ford. The whole situation has me stressed. I'm not even due for my first car payment yet!
I wish you all the best ... you never know the factory rep may have had a couple too many coffees and goes ahead with the deal.

I feel your pain too my first 5.0 was perfect except for a small scratch on the bottom area of the rear quarter panel, that happened during the unloading by the car carrier.

No one ever noticed it but me... so i left it alone, even though the dealer told me to bring it back and they would correct it.

I'm not saying that you should live with it, just for me-- driving the car was so fun, I never took them up on the offer.
Old 5/24/12, 11:41 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by StangGT
Ok so I have an update on the issue. I took my car to a very reputable detailer
that confirmed only a repaint can fix the damage. I've contacted customer
relations regarding the issue. A request for possible buyback was sent out to
see if it qualifies under lemon law. Now I have to wait for a follow up.
I understand this can be time consuming, StangGT. I sent you a response to your PM.

Deysha
Old 6/12/12, 12:25 PM

To me, I would weigh the time, stress, and emotional distress involved in fixing a cosmetic issue. Maybe you can live with it? Maybe you can think of it as the car's birth mark setting it apart from other Mustangs? Just my opinion.
Old 6/14/12, 07:42 PM
GT Member

They'll deny your request for buyback over and over again. Unless your engine blows up driving it off the dealership lot the day of pickup, they won't buy it back. I wish you the best, really do, but I have no faith in Ford or their Customer Relations department when it comes to service/warranty issues. That's why I got myself a lawyer and sued them. Sick of the run around you get.
Old 6/14/12, 07:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like Ford is on it, keep us posted, I would suggest based on my experiences in working through the selling dealer owner to resolve.

Just my thoughts.... GG
Old 6/15/12, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is an unbelievable thread. Buy back a car for 5+ specks of dust in the clear coat, on the rear bumper cover.

Give me a break. First a good body shop will simply wet sand the clear coat and respray it, not the color coat. There should be no color mismatch as the color coat should not be touched.

It is a Mustang, a "mass" produced car, not hand built $200,000 Ferrari! There are going to be problems. Ford is required, under the warranty, to fix those problems. This no reason to go off the grid, just ensure the body shop is a good one and you will never know it was touched.
Old 6/16/12, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Gotta agree here....it is a minor repaint at the most.

Think about how many people on these boards pull the original bumper covers and install a different style right after purchase.....they get painted too.....just amazing what one sees on the net.....
Old 6/17/12, 08:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
This is an unbelievable thread. Buy back a car for 5+ specks of dust in the clear coat, on the rear bumper cover.

Give me a break. First a good body shop will simply wet sand the clear coat and respray it, not the color coat. There should be no color mismatch as the color coat should not be touched.

It is a Mustang, a "mass" produced car, not hand built $200,000 Ferrari! There are going to be problems. Ford is required, under the warranty, to fix those problems. This no reason to go off the grid, just ensure the body shop is a good one and you will never know it was touched.
Actually, having worked on many hand built $200k+ cars, they have these imperfections too. I'd see more expensive cars trashed than $40k cars - people who work their asses off to take pay for a vehicle tend to care about them more than people who buy a new $200k every year. At least in my experience...
Old 6/18/12, 08:49 AM
V6 Member

OP, have you heard of Carpro IronX? It's a decontamination products that detailers use. You just spray it on a wet car and it converts and removes the iron spots/rail dust/embedded contaminants after about 5 minutes of dwell time. It takes out what claying can't. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about how well it works. You might want to consider trying that first before a more serious repair. All of the big detailing websites sell it and it's only about $30 shipped for a 16 oz bottle. I just ordered some myself because my new white stang has a few iron spots on the bumpers. I'll post pics of before and after applying the IronX

Last edited by mustangmikeFL; 6/18/12 at 08:51 AM.
Old 8/11/12, 08:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I remember browsing mustangs a few years back. I saw a beautiful metallic pearl white saleen mustang. this car sticks out in my mind because I had never seen such a color. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the brand new car had about a 8 inch scratch on the c-pillar that was touched up! No joke. Worse it looked like a five year old touched it up and didn't match in any way.

Point being. I doubt it came from saleen that way. The dealership touched it up and hoped no one would notice. You really have to look over the car your buying. Take your time, don't get pressured. Come back the next day if you have to. Lord knows the dealership is not going to pick out the imperfections.

My wife noticed a pea sized ding on her 2 day old fusion while washing it and was so pissed at the dealership. It was a cold lonely night for me after she saw that.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 GT with problems-image-3045005696.jpg  

Last edited by Getportfolio; 8/11/12 at 08:24 PM.
Old 8/12/12, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

I found a bunch of scratches under my rear diffuser the day I brought it home. I decided not to worry about it, because I figured they would just say that I did it somehow.
Old 8/12/12, 07:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just make sure the rapaint is done by a reputable dealer. unfortunately my 06 was involved in a minor fender bender severa months ago. I was not driving. The tint guy was taking the car to his shop after dropping me off at work and a lady tuned into him. Needless to say the cops wrote it up as a no fault. His insurance paid for it, but I got to choose the body shop. here are some pics, A new door shell and some bodywork and basically a repaint of the drivers side and you cannot tell any thing happened.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 GT with problems-img_0283.jpg   2013 GT with problems-img_0284.jpg   2013 GT with problems-img_0320.jpg   2013 GT with problems-img_0321.jpg  
Old 8/12/12, 07:07 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks well done^^^
Old 8/18/12, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I remember browsing mustangs a few years back. I saw a beautiful metallic pearl white saleen mustang. this car sticks out in my mind because I had never seen such a color. Upon closer inspection, I saw that the brand new car had about a 8 inch scratch on the c-pillar that was touched up! No joke. Worse it looked like a five year old touched it up and didn't match in any way.

Point being. I doubt it came from saleen that way. The dealership touched it up and hoped no one would notice. You really have to look over the car your buying. Take your time, don't get pressured. Come back the next day if you have to. Lord knows the dealership is not going to pick out the imperfections.

My wife noticed a pea sized ding on her 2 day old fusion while washing it and was so pissed at the dealership. It was a cold lonely night for me after she saw that.
My wife will drive for months, no make that years, and not notice road Rash she put on the wheels, dings from stupid SUV drivers in the supermarkets parking lot or the fact that there's a 1/4 inch of the dust on her dashboard, but if there are two crumbs on the kitchen floor or the living room hasn't been vacuumed in a week she freaks out. Woman are from Mars.
Old 8/20/12, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by redneb

My wife will drive for months, no make that years, and not notice road Rash she put on the wheels, dings from stupid SUV drivers in the supermarkets parking lot or the fact that there's a 1/4 inch of the dust on her dashboard, but if there are two crumbs on the kitchen floor or the living room hasn't been vacuumed in a week she freaks out. Woman are from Mars.
Seriously! I get so mad when I clean my wife's car. Her front bumper is cracked, curb rash on all four rims, and dings all over....and she is actually upset that I never want to switch cars for a day. She would totally curb my rims and park in the tightest parking spots available.
Old 8/24/12, 05:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03

Seriously! I get so mad when I clean my wife's car. Her front bumper is cracked, curb rash on all four rims, and dings all over....and she is actually upset that I never want to switch cars for a day. She would totally curb my rims and park in the tightest parking spots available.
I know exactly what you mean... I have to brief and debrief my wife before she drives my mustang.
Old 8/24/12, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pcanno167

I know exactly what you mean... I have to brief and debrief my wife before she drives my mustang.
lmao. non-tradeable requirement for my future wife is that she has to be a wheel woman and know her way around a car

Quick Reply: 2013 GT with problems