Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 mustang GT engine tapping sound (video, need your opinions)

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/12, 03:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 mustang GT engine tapping sound (video, need your opinions)

The link above is a short youtube video of the tapping noise that I noticed today. I was driving and I happen to notice a metallic "ratttling" noise that noticeably gets louder in relation to acceleration. So I decide to check the source of the noise and I start under the hood and I discover a tapping noise that seems to be coming from the side of the engine that is featured on my video.

I need your opinion guys. This really has me worried. It is a constant tapping tapping noise.

I just discovered this today so I decided to document it right away to get some opinions. It is 2012 Mustang GT 6MT with no performance modification and 3,200 miles. I plan to have more videos of exterior/interior shots with the car running.

I'm not sure if it is related to this but this day was hotter than usual (Virginia) and the external temperature reading in the LCD display indicated 100+ degrees. The AC was full blast for the most part. What set off my worries was that during acceleration I heard and felt a rattling metallic noise that gets louder in relation to acceleration.

Thanks for your input.
Old 6/29/12, 07:01 PM
GT Member

Sounds normal to me, Ford claims a little bit of ping is normal, likely what you are hearing. What octane fuel ?
Old 6/29/12, 07:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the injectors to me. Instead of recording so much, visit the dealer if you are uncomfortable with the noise.
Old 6/29/12, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by steve03gt
Sounds normal to me, Ford claims a little bit of ping is normal, likely what you are hearing. What octane fuel ?
93 octane.

I'm hoping that the sound is normal. I'm not sure why today that sound became more evident to my ears.
Old 6/29/12, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Sounds like the injectors to me. Instead of recording so much, visit the dealer if you are uncomfortable with the noise.
Yes I do plan on visiting my dealer. While I'm there I might as well bring up all the "little" issues that I'm having with my sensitive hears. Like the creaking suspension. And a very light whine that I assume is coming from the transmission .

I think all the negative views that I've been reading on this forum about the car has made me a little paranoid. And maybe I do pay attention a little too much to the noises this car is making. It's just annoying that a car that I just bought with 3,000 miles is making all these sounds. Apart from the natural noise coming from the motor, is it normal for this type of car to be like this? It's my first V8 and sports car.
Old 6/29/12, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

All cars make noise....some may be normal, some not. As you say, talk to your dealer....maybe test drive another. Reading the net can ruin your day at times with all the problems. Remember, there are many, many others not on here with no issues.

Sport cars such as the Mustang may be a bit noisier than the higher end cars just based on the price level too.

I am the same way with noises.....my wife complains because I will have her hunting a small rattle while driving. Had a candy wrapper in the door pouch once....drove me crazy.....
Old 6/29/12, 07:38 PM
GT Member

Off topic, but its funny that I replied to you, and you subscribed to me on youtube by fluke minutes later
Old 6/29/12, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like just loud valve train noise. It's nothing you need to worry about. Mine sounded just like that after an extremely hot day. I since switched to Amsoil full syn 5w30 and she's quieter now.

To clarify any concern I did not choose to switch to 5w30 to diminish noise, I just wanted a thicker oil then the spec.

Last edited by flySWA737; 6/29/12 at 09:28 PM.
Old 6/30/12, 11:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737
Sounds like just loud valve train noise. It's nothing you need to worry about. Mine sounded just like that after an extremely hot day. I since switched to Amsoil full syn 5w30 and she's quieter now.

To clarify any concern I did not choose to switch to 5w30 to diminish noise, I just wanted a thicker oil then the spec.
During that day the hottest recorded temp was 100 degrees (Virginia) which is the warmest weather since I purchased the car this April so I think you may be right.
Old 6/30/12, 04:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you do this when Ford specifies 5W20? Do you know better than Ford engineers?
Old 6/30/12, 06:33 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

we have a thread or 50 that cover this and why its bad to do....

Originally Posted by redneb
Why would you do this when Ford specifies 5W20? Do you know better than Ford engineers?
yes he does
Old 6/30/12, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

You really need to leave the engine alone and get into the dealer. I am pushing 23000 miles and have driven in sub zero (-20) and very high (102 today) temps, with no noise. I use the full syn Mobil 1, 5W-20. I drove through the Black Hills and Custer State Park today, lots of RPM changes, and gear changes, for over 80 miles, and then high speed, 75 on the Interstate to home. No noise. Get in and get this checked, for you own piece of mind. This is why you have a warranty, use it. Just my .02.
Old 6/30/12, 11:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
You really need to leave the engine alone and get into the dealer. I am pushing 23000 miles and have driven in sub zero (-20) and very high (102 today) temps, with no noise. I use the full syn Mobil 1, 5W-20. I drove through the Black Hills and Custer State Park today, lots of RPM changes, and gear changes, for over 80 miles, and then high speed, 75 on the Interstate to home. No noise. Get in and get this checked, for you own piece of mind. This is why you have a warranty, use it. Just my .02.
So your motor doesn't make any kind of noise like in the video?
Old 7/1/12, 09:26 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

mine sounds like the video. i think
Old 7/1/12, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If that was a 99-2004 GT I would say to make sure you don't have a loose sparkplug!
Old 7/1/12, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Yup. Does it really matter?
Old 7/1/12, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if 5w30 makes it quieter, maybe you should try 20w50. I bet she'll really purr
Old 7/1/12, 07:20 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

really? I mean really?
Old 7/1/12, 07:21 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Well if 5w30 makes it quieter, maybe you should try 20w50. I bet she'll really purr
maybe some 2 stroke will wake it up...
Old 7/1/12, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Good one. Probably just through gear oil in there while I'm at it.

To the OP, I was just posting my personal experience. Loud valve train is not a bad thing at all, it's just noise like all the ones who complain of gear whine, ticks etc etc. Just drive her and ignore the complaint threads and you'll notice these things go away.

Quick Reply: 2012 mustang GT engine tapping sound (video, need your opinions)