Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2011 V6 Automatic transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/11, 09:33 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi orgchem,

Please contact your dealer and make another appointment. Then message me with your dealer, contact info, mileage, and VIN so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 3/31/11, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible SSM on this problem

I am also having problems with my automatic transmission, but of a different kind. There is a Special service Message (SSM 21776) that might help with these issues.
Old 4/1/11, 07:58 AM

Gail, thanks for the info. I may have to go down there to that dealer. do you have their telephone number and service writer contacts name? Thanks for your assistance.
Old 4/1/11, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lakeland Automall 1430 Memorial blvd Lakeland , My service advisor was Chad Couglin 863-682-1100. They worked on my car Hope they can get your car straightened out. I recently took a trip over to Gambling trip to biloxi , Gee this car is fun to drive.
Old 4/19/11, 09:01 AM

Latest update

Gainesville Ford attempted repair of my automatic transmission. They ultimately replaced the "Lead Frame" and cleared the adaptive shift strategy. Problem is better but have a new problem. While in cruise control if I have it at 70mph and bring the speed up to 80 mph using the gas peddle and then let off of it, it will downshift to the next one or two lower gears and when it gets back to 70mph again it will upshift again to high gear. I can't believe Ford would purposly program that into the cruise control program, it would put additional strain on the transmission as well as cause a dangerous situation on slick roads (snow, etc..
Ford get your s--- together already
Old 6/24/11, 09:21 PM

Interesting... my 2010 V-6 with 14k on it has been clunking and when I took it in last weekend for an oil change, I was told the transmission was leaking. After nearly a week in service, it was a problem with a pump and seal on the transmission requiring it to be removed from the car. Now that I've got it back, the clunk is gone, but now when I shift to park, the car stumbles, the tach drops (feels like it wants to stall) and then comes back up. They tell me that as long as it doesn't stall - it's fine and there's nothing wrong with the car.... UGH!
Old 7/3/11, 07:01 PM

I sold my 06 convertible and am thinking of buying a V6 convertible with automatic transmission either a used 2011 or a new 2012, but I am concerned about the automatic transmission issue. I drove two 2011 V6 convertibles (automatics) and both gave an annoying jerk at least once on a 20 min test drive right before stopping in traffic. I don't want to buy one if Ford isn't going to fix the problem. One had 4k miles and the other 24k miles. Otherwise, I really liked the cars. Could any of you tell me if Ford has fixed this problem with the automatic transmission on the 2011.
Old 7/5/11, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by webibeay
Interesting... my 2010 V-6 with 14k on it has been clunking and when I took it in last weekend for an oil change, I was told the transmission was leaking. After nearly a week in service, it was a problem with a pump and seal on the transmission requiring it to be removed from the car. Now that I've got it back, the clunk is gone, but now when I shift to park, the car stumbles, the tach drops (feels like it wants to stall) and then comes back up. They tell me that as long as it doesn't stall - it's fine and there's nothing wrong with the car.... UGH!
Hi webibeay,

I’d like to escalate this for you to make sure it gets taken care of. Could you message me with your dealer, VIN, contact info, and mileage?

Deysha
Old 7/5/11, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by lewisr
I sold my 06 convertible and am thinking of buying a V6 convertible with automatic transmission either a used 2011 or a new 2012, but I am concerned about the automatic transmission issue. I drove two 2011 V6 convertibles (automatics) and both gave an annoying jerk at least once on a 20 min test drive right before stopping in traffic. I don't want to buy one if Ford isn't going to fix the problem. One had 4k miles and the other 24k miles. Otherwise, I really liked the cars. Could any of you tell me if Ford has fixed this problem with the automatic transmission on the 2011.
Hello lewisr,

If you are interested on either vehicle, bring any concern up to their service department. If it’s a Ford dealer, they should be able to diagnose it and pull up any TSB available for the vehicle or get help from our Technical Hotline.

Deysha
Old 7/5/11, 09:23 AM

Thanks!
Old 7/8/11, 03:26 PM

Decided to get a 2012

Thanks much Deysha for the reassurance that Ford stands behind its products. I had great service experiences with Ford on my 2006 Mustang (and my 2003 explorer), and only asked the question because I have now moved to Florida and will have a different dealer. After seeing the additional $1,000 incentive on the new Mustangs that Ford just came out with, I decided to get a new 2012. I pick it up on Monday. Red Candy Metallic Convertible.
Old 7/10/11, 03:16 PM

I took my V6 auto MCA coupe in for the trans shifting very hard when you are coming to a red light and the light changes before you stop, as I accelerated the trans would shift into 1st pretty rough the dealer reprogrammed it and it seems fine now
Old 7/11/11, 08:01 AM

Thanks much Deysha for the reassurance that Ford stands behind its products. I had great service experiences with Ford on my 2006 Mustang (and my 2003 explorer), and only asked the question because I have now moved to Florida and will have a different dealer. After seeing the additional $1,000 incentive on the new Mustangs that Ford just came out with, I decided to get a new 2012. I pick it up on Monday. Red Candy Metallic Convertible.
That sounds like great news to me lewisr!! Can't wait to see the pics!

Deysha
Old 7/14/11, 08:26 PM

Deysha,
Haven't had a chance to take any pics yet but all I can say is--WOW! I really liked my 2006 convertible, but the 2012 is much quieter, better handling, much improved interior, more comfortable, and the new engine is simply amazing. Clearly Ford engineers have been busy for the past 6 years making the Mustang a much better car. Very Impressive. I couldn't be happier.
Old 7/18/11, 01:04 PM

Deysha,
Haven't had a chance to take any pics yet but all I can say is--WOW! I really liked my 2006 convertible, but the 2012 is much quieter, better handling, much improved interior, more comfortable, and the new engine is simply amazing. Clearly Ford engineers have been busy for the past 6 years making the Mustang a much better car. Very Impressive. I couldn't be happier.
I love that you love it, how I love it, as much as you love it!!! You know what I mean!? Enjoy it!!

Deysha
Old 11/18/11, 12:30 PM

I am having the same issue (2011 v6 auto base 2.73). When I coming to a full stop I sometimes hear slight clunk coming from the drivetrain. It seems to happen right before the car comes to a complete stop. I also notice it sometimes when I push on the gas to pass someone. After passing and letting off of the gas it sometimes "thumps". So far it is mostly a noise issue. WIth the exception of when I sometimes start moving from a stop sign. Once in awhile I will feel the thump as well as hear it. When I took the car into my local dealer in Collegeville pa, they test drove it, couldn't replicate the issue, and said it was normal noise. Unfortunately, I had to drop it off during the week while I am at work so I couldn't drive it with the person. They do not offer that type of service during the weekend so I am unsure how I could take a ride with them :-(. I am just worried because I already have close to 18,000 miles on the car and I will be out of my warrenty in about a year! The issue will not break my car in that time, but it might break something before I pay off the car, which is in another ~5 years.

Does anyone know if a TBS has been issued or if slight noise is normal??
Old 11/18/11, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

..anyone notice that alot of the people posting in this thread have a very, very low post count?
Old 11/18/11, 09:40 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have worked on a few of these that have came in.. the only time I could get this to happen was on a warm day and the transmission hot. What we did to fix it was an engine oil change... Weird I know but what the service manager decided was the problem was the oil was too old causing the vvt to act up a bit (owner of car was also complaining of a hesitation which vvt can cause. Owner was also 3000 miles overdue on her oil change) the vvt acting up caused the transmission to shift in an abnormal pattern. Now I didn't completely agree with the manager because it seems far fetched to me but the problem did go away.
Old 11/21/11, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by tchristmanjr
I am having the same issue (2011 v6 auto base 2.73). When I coming to a full stop I sometimes hear slight clunk coming from the drivetrain. It seems to happen right before the car comes to a complete stop. I also notice it sometimes when I push on the gas to pass someone.
Hi tchristmanjr,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I'd like to get this escalated for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info.

Deysha
Old 11/29/11, 11:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tchristmanjr
I am having the same issue (2011 v6 auto base 2.73). When I coming to a full stop I sometimes hear slight clunk coming from the drivetrain. It seems to happen right before the car comes to a complete stop. I also notice it sometimes when I push on the gas to pass someone. After passing and letting off of the gas it sometimes "thumps". So far it is mostly a noise issue. WIth the exception of when I sometimes start moving from a stop sign. Once in awhile I will feel the thump as well as hear it. When I took the car into my local dealer in Collegeville pa, they test drove it, couldn't replicate the issue, and said it was normal noise. Unfortunately, I had to drop it off during the week while I am at work so I couldn't drive it with the person. They do not offer that type of service during the weekend so I am unsure how I could take a ride with them :-(. I am just worried because I already have close to 18,000 miles on the car and I will be out of my warrenty in about a year! The issue will not break my car in that time, but it might break something before I pay off the car, which is in another ~5 years.

Does anyone know if a TBS has been issued or if slight noise is normal??
Power train warranty would be 5 years if I remember correctly. So I think you still have couple of years.

Quick Reply: 2011 V6 Automatic transmission noise