Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

'12 V6 Mustang with TIS Wheels (balance issue)

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/12, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 V6 Mustang with TIS Wheels (balance issue)

I just purchased a 2012 V6 black Mustang that came with 20 inch TIS wheels. I am new to the Mustang world, and after some research, I understand that these wheels came on a special "DUB" Edition last year.

I suppose my rims and tires were left overs as part of that package, and the dealer put them on there. They really set the car off and look great, but they were never balanced properly.

I local tire shop (paid by the dealer) tried two times, and there is still vibration in the steering wheel. There is no particular speed at which the vibration is worse. It comes and goes, but it is annoying, especially in a brand new car.

I am taking it Monday to get a road force balance, hopefully that will solve the issue.

Anyone have thoughts on how to properly balance 20 inch wheels?

I know that the steering wheel shimmy isn't normal, even on 20 inch wheels.

Am I right?
Old 6/10/12, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Try swapping the wheels front to back and see if there is a difference. It may not be the wheels.

Any good shop should be able to balance any size wheel and tire..........

Has anyone looked for a slightly bent rim?
Old 6/10/12, 12:29 PM

Gonna have them inspected tomorrow by a tire shop in Little Rock who says they can take care of it. I am hoping to get it taken care of. I am tired of stressing over this. I love my new car, just want it to drive like one. I am hoping it's not a bent rim and just a simple balance issue....
Old 6/10/12, 06:13 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
Try swapping the wheels front to back and see if there is a difference. It may not be the wheels.

Any good shop should be able to balance any size wheel and tire..........

Has anyone looked for a slightly bent rim?
That is true, but it needs to be determined if they are hub centric or lug centric - even good shop that balances a lug centric wheel with a the usual cone and hubnut arrangement can screw the pooch ( so to speak).

Also even if the wheel is balanced and it is an aftermarket wheel with a large hub pilot it can effect the balance without a spacer that fits between the wheel and hub.
  • Check to see if the wheels are lug or hub centric
  • See if they require hubcentric rings (spacers)
  • Make sure you have the correct lug nuts (probably a bulge nut)
  • Make sure all mating surfaces are clean
  • make sure the rims are concentric and the tires dont display excessive runout (can be corrected to a point by match mounting)
  • Make sure the rim/tire assembly is dynamically balanced (this can be achieved without resorting to mounting the weights on the outside - dont no let them static balance the wheels.
  • See if th shop uses a pin-plate setup - this eliminates any problems between a hub or lug centric wheel ( the pin plates simulate the lug nuts in conjunction with the usual spring and cone centering fixture)
  • Have them balanced on the metric setting to 5 gams or less. Do not accept a balance that is 10 grams (1/4 oz ) or more out.
  • Make sure to ask if the balancer has been recently calibrated.
Old 6/10/12, 06:36 PM
GT Member

Shifted Belts... out of balance doesnt cause a shimmy
Old 6/10/12, 07:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Post pictures!!!!!
Old 6/10/12, 07:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bob....a good shop should cover those items when a car has a known issue.

Anything that causes the steering wheel to shake is commonly called a shimmy by most.....but the belt issue should be found with a road force balance.
Old 6/10/12, 08:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by newspaperboy
I just purchased a 2012 V6 black Mustang that came with 20 inch TIS wheels. I am new to the Mustang world, and after some research, I understand that these wheels came on a special "DUB" Edition last year.

I suppose my rims and tires were left overs as part of that package, and the dealer put them on there. They really set the car off and look great, but they were never balanced properly.

I local tire shop (paid by the dealer) tried two times, and there is still vibration in the steering wheel. There is no particular speed at which the vibration is worse. It comes and goes, but it is annoying, especially in a brand new car.

I am taking it Monday to get a road force balance, hopefully that will solve the issue.

Anyone have thoughts on how to properly balance 20 inch wheels?

I know that the steering wheel shimmy isn't normal, even on 20 inch wheels.

Am I right?

Have you checked to see if the brake rotor retaining clips were removed to allow the wheels to sit flat against the rotors?

The OEM wheels have a recess for these clips but very few aftermarket wheels do.

If this is the case then it can cause just the "shimmy" that you describe.
Old 6/10/12, 09:41 PM

I removed the clips from the front, but it didn't help the steering shake. The seats also vibrate on and off, so I know it's a balance issue. Just 900 miles on the car.... Here are some pics.

Will post results from tomorrow's tire shop visit.
Old 6/11/12, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can a warped rotor cause shimmy such as what you are experiencing? Usually a warped rotor is felt when applying the brakes, but perhaps if it's badly warped?
Old 6/12/12, 09:28 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
Bob....a good shop should cover those items when a car has a known issue.

Anything that causes the steering wheel to shake is commonly called a shimmy by most.....but the belt issue should be found with a road force balance.
Figured I'd arm the OP with a little knowledge. I know thats dangerous with the general public (not a dig against you news) but when he goes in, he can at least get an idea on who he's dealing with. A shop worh its salt will honestly answer him.

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Have you checked to see if the brake rotor retaining clips were removed to allow the wheels to sit flat against the rotors?

The OEM wheels have a recess for these clips but very few aftermarket wheels do.

If this is the case then it can cause just the "shimmy" that you describe.
Good point, forgot about that - easy to diagnose, just jack the vehicle up and spin the wheel, should appear as a pronounced wobble - also look at where the wheel mates with the surface of the hub, the wheel should rest square to the hub, if the rotor retainer reating clip is creatinga problem there should be an intermittent gap at the stud with the retaining clip.

Last edited by bob; 6/12/12 at 09:32 PM.
Old 6/18/12, 10:27 AM

i just had this same problem balanced all the tires, 20 inch and still did it, tire had excessive run out whole machine was shaking so i ordered new tires ill keep you informed, p.s front tires wernt to hot i think PO bought them off ebay
Old 6/23/12, 10:24 AM

put the new tires on yesterday all vibration and road noises are gone i would check your tire run out hope this helps
Old 6/23/12, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I had to constantly re-balance my 18 in Nitto 555 Extremes, there would always be a short range of about 10 mph where I got shimmy, just put on new Sumitomo HTZ R3's and all gone. Loved the Nitto grip, hated the high maintenance. Now I look for a performance tire that balances well as a primary consideration. What tires are you using?
Old 6/23/12, 11:33 AM

those are the same tires i just installed only 20s there really quit and handle well 255/35/20 on the front and 275/35/20 rear Sumitomo HTZ R3's

Last edited by mustv6; 6/23/12 at 11:35 AM.
Old 6/23/12, 11:41 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by newspaperboy

I removed the clips from the front, but it didn't help the steering shake. The seats also vibrate on and off, so I know it's a balance issue. Just 900 miles on the car.... Here are some pics.

Will post results from tomorrow's tire shop visit.
those dont look near as bad as what i was thinking!