'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Xtant Amp Question (advanced)

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/13, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xtant Amp Question (advanced)

I recently sold off half of my audio system, then realized I missed it and am putting a new one together

I just purchased an old school Xtant 302a amp (75x2 at 4ohm, 150x2 at 2ohm), I used to use a 403a back in the day and it was probably the cleanest amp I've ever heard. It is replacing an Alpine that was so-so at best for sound quality. My current setup will be:

Head unit - Kenwood double-din unit w/ nice built-in EQ
Front - Alpine Type X components in stock location
Front - JL 8w1v2 8" subwoofers in stock location
Subwoofer - Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d in custom box in the trunk

My question is related to two advanced features of the amp -- the passive speaker outputs and crossover SIPs. I purchased an RM-4 to activate the passive speaker outputs, which effectively turns it into a 75x4 at 4 ohm/150x4 at 2ohm amp (minus a little for the passive channels due to -4db module). I want to run the components and 8" subs off of this, but I am worried about crossover settings and possibly blowing the subs.

I do not know if the passive speaker outputs are controlled by the same crossover as the fronts, or if they are just free flowing. Also, not sure how to tell which SIPs are currently in the amp for crossovers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is a difficult problem for me ....
Old 9/14/13, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi according to this http://www.xtant.com/archives/html/t...fs/302aIns.pdf "THE “PASSIVE TERMINALS” ARE CONNECTED, IN PARALLEL, VIA THE RM MODULE TO THE MAIN SPEAKER TERMINALS." So all speakers will receive the same signal. Since you want to drive a full range complement of speakers from this 2 channel amp you will need to remove any high/low pass filters from the amp and use passive filters at the speakers.
Old 9/14/13, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great find, thank you! Looks like I will have to add in another crossover to tune this properly!