Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Tablet install

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/18, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tablet install

Just installed a galaxy tab a 8inch in my dash 2014 gt. But the bezel has quite a few scratches in it. What do yall recommend for repairing it? I've though of making a small frame around it, fiberglassing it, maybe sanding it and painting it or hydro dipping. what do yall recommend. I'll grab a picture when I go back out to the car. also experiencing issues with it overheating thinking about rerouting. a bit of ac duct to hit the back of the tablet. wont prevent it from overheating but will cool it much faster.

Last edited by Matthew Catoe; 6/27/18 at 01:16 PM.
Old 6/27/18, 02:15 PM

Old 6/27/18, 05:27 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Wow that was a gnarly trim job, going to be tough to repair and make that look right. Might want to start looking on eBay or your friendly local salvage yard for a replacement for a redo. If you do redo it, use this as a template and maybe try a dermel for the fine cutting. Sorry not much help here.
Old 6/27/18, 07:47 PM

hehe yea, wifey wanted to help by doing the cutting. cant say I would have done much better but not gonna turn away working a project together. She threw around the idea today of sanding it smooth and getting it wrapped in viynl.
Old 6/27/18, 10:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
All you have to do is fill it with something, sand it, and then paint. Nobody'll know.

I'm guessing from afar that it's ABS plastic. And as such, I'd go find/acquire some Plastex or Plastifix. It will fill in those gouges and raise the surface enough you can sand it back and get clean lines, and it'll stick like it ought. You'll want to probably 'straighten' the gouges, which means to define a line all around the opening, and then whittle it out so that you have a lil' rectangle of inset, to which you can apply the plastic repair to build it back smoothish, then final sand, prime, and paint.

...or just get another one, and dremel it right this time... no offense to yer woman there, but man...

I'm also a fan of the vinyl wrapping, having done my dash panels in all black marine grade... but trim fitment may suffer as the thickness will increase around the edges. In which case, you'll need to whittle down the edges so the new thickness of the vinyl (and it's backing, the real culprit) will fit into the crevices.

Your call. Hope that helps in some way.
Old 6/27/18, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the filler I didn't even think about that. I sanded it down earlier by hand with some 150 grit (took awhile lol) and managed to get all of the deep scratches out. (luckily she left enough lip around it so I had a bit to work with. thrown a few coats of matte black on it to see how its gonna look looking decent so far. Hoping for the best if not gonna get some filler on my next off day. Any advice on the overheating problem? Louisiana is hell for heat lol. Think it's a mixture of the heat and poor ventilation to it. Added a small piece of the button panel behind the tablet to list it up a bit away from the circuit board and hopefully provide a tighter fit in the dash (have a small amount of movement when I hit bumps). maybe a small heatsink pc fan on the back of the metal for the board?
Old 6/27/18, 10:46 PM

paints still wet and its dark out but noticable difference in the scratches.
Old 6/27/18, 11:09 PM

Old 6/28/18, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Doesn't look like there's any way to put a heatsink on the back of the thing. The air vent was what I was thinking too, but more a fan of some sort to push the air around in there... Can't tell how it's mounted, so I can't advise more than that. If there's a physical presence across the entire back, I don't know that there's any way to avoid the temp issue...
Old 6/28/18, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matthew Catoe
also experiencing issues with it overheating thinking about rerouting. a bit of ac duct to hit the back of the tablet. wont prevent it from overheating but will cool it much faster.
Won't this also add heat to it, in the colder months (i.e. when the heater is on)?
Old 6/30/18, 05:33 PM

was gonna be done with it but she had to point out that its not straight. so on to grab that filler lol.
Old 6/30/18, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Good jorb sir! Lookin' real nice there!
Old 7/7/18, 04:37 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Catoe
was gonna be done with it but she had to point out that its not straight. so on to grab that filler lol.
what did you use to mount the tablet. Is it easily removable?