'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

question re: PAC AOEM-FRD24 & Metra Axxess XSVI-5520-NAV

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/11, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
question re: PAC AOEM-FRD24 & Metra Axxess XSVI-5520-NAV

Trying to plan out my audio install and I'm getting a little confused about which I need because I don't think I will be needing (or able to) use both.

I purchased a Pioneer Avic Z120BT nav head unit and will decide on a dash kit (Metra or the Scosche if it ever comes out) next month.

Have the Shaker 500 set up right now with Sync and the subs in the doors. Already upgraded the other speakers to pioneers up front and polks in the back.

I don't plan or want to add an aftermarket amp because I will be happy with the built in amplification in the new head unit. Don't care about losing Sync either.

so here's my question(s):

I want to be able to keep the door subs, so if I use the Metra Axxess XSVI-5520-NAV, will that provide signal to the subs or are those subs connected to the factory amps which in essence would not be connected if use the XSVI-5520-NAV?

If that's the case, do I need to use the PAC AOEM-FRD24 in addition to make sure the subs get a signal (and I assume the factory amps would then be used as well??)

Do my questions make sense?

what do you guys think?
Old 12/27/11, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bones302
Trying to plan out my audio install and I'm getting a little confused about which I need because I don't think I will be needing (or able to) use both.

I purchased a Pioneer Avic Z120BT nav head unit and will decide on a dash kit (Metra or the Scosche if it ever comes out) next month.

Have the Shaker 500 set up right now with Sync and the subs in the doors. Already upgraded the other speakers to pioneers up front and polks in the back.

I don't plan or want to add an aftermarket amp because I will be happy with the built in amplification in the new head unit. Don't care about losing Sync either.

so here's my question(s):

I want to be able to keep the door subs, so if I use the Metra Axxess XSVI-5520-NAV, will that provide signal to the subs or are those subs connected to the factory amps which in essence would not be connected if use the XSVI-5520-NAV?

If that's the case, do I need to use the PAC AOEM-FRD24 in addition to make sure the subs get a signal (and I assume the factory amps would then be used as well??)

Do my questions make sense?

what do you guys think?
I don't think the PAC AOEM-FRD24 will work at all. Not for what you are wanting to do and without cutting into the wires. This unit simply plugs into the factory harness, then into the back of the factory radio and provides RCA signals and 12v remote signal to the amps you are wanting to add. It will not provide that 12v remote signal or audio signals to the factory sub amp without cutting/splicing wires.

The remote, and low level audio signal for the factory subs comes from the head unit. You would need a wiring harness that plugs into that part of the factory harness and adds a male RCA plug that will plug into the aftermarket head unit. There are a few on Ebay that look like they will work, but they aren't listed as being specifically compatible. Then again neither was the PAC AOEM-FRD24. I took a chance and it worked out great for me. The plugs on the harnesses for the 2004-2009 mustangs look like they will work but again I have no experience with those so I can't say for sure. The plugs on the 04-09 harness have the smaller plug that has the RCA and remote wires so that is why I say that they should work. There are also some places on Ebay selling the Metra kit with a harness. But that harness does not have RCA's from what I can tell.
Old 12/27/11, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanks Rob. yeah I think I was premature in ordering the PAC AOEM-FRD24. Talked to Metra and they gave me a couple of options to use with their XSVI-5520-NAV. When I get my dash kit in a couple of weeks then I can really get in there and start playing around.

Thanks fr the help.
Old 12/27/11, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bones302
thanks Rob. yeah I think I was premature in ordering the PAC AOEM-FRD24. Talked to Metra and they gave me a couple of options to use with their XSVI-5520-NAV. When I get my dash kit in a couple of weeks then I can really get in there and start playing around.

Thanks fr the help.
Your welcome! I have pretty much dismantled my entire audio system over the past few months trying to get the right sound while maintaining some of the creature comforts like the steering wheel controls. So far I haven't found an aftermarket system that works with my SD card as well as the Shaker 500 does but the aftermarket systems sound so much better than the Shaker. Plus the dash kits so far are either hideous looking (Metra) or absent (Scosche). But I will prevail! Gonna keep scouting head units till I find one that works like I want it to with my SD card and that will give those yahoo's at Scosche time to get their unit out for sale!