Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

New wheel / new audio on base mustang - which parts do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/13, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New wheel / new audio on base mustang - which parts do I need?

Hey all - please excuse the newbie .

I just picked up my 2012 base GT convertible yesterday (WHOO!) and, since there's no time like the present, have already ordered the GT500 wheel (thanks Getportfolio for the link!).

I'm looking to install an aftermarket audio head unit as I need my bluetooth, and definitely need my audio controls to work for the unit. Considering my car is a base model, I'm a little confused on what interfaces I'll be needing. I had been planning on a Metra 99-5826ch (anybody want to convince me to go the Scosche route? I don't like the screen as much and like how the Metra stereo sits marginally higher) and a JVC bluetooth unit.

So far as I understand it, here are the options:
-PAC-RP4-FD11: this appears to include steering wheel controls that I will be adding. Will this include RAP, VSS, etc? (Will that matter in my vehicle?)
-Axxess XSVI-5520 NAV: includes RAP/VSS (if relevant) but no mention of steering wheel controls
-Axxess FRST: retains sync (which I don't have), does this include steering controls?
-iDatalink Maestro-ADS-MSW: as I understand it, this is just for steering controls, but I could customize what each button did, right?
-Others?

Long story short: what interface do I need to add steering wheel controls to aftermarket audio unit for a base GT with a replacement GT500 wheel that maintains as many features as possible (VSS, etc)?

Thanks all! sorry about the wall of text!
Old 2/17/13, 09:59 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm fairly certain that the audio control module (ACM) would need an update. From my understanding there are certain codes that are to be dialed into the computer and reflashed. These codes enable functions not originally built with base cars.

There's a few threads from a member who has compiled a list of the "as build data" codes that could be dialed in for different wheels. Some Ford dealerships will do this and some won't. Depending on location, prices vary from peanuts to punches.

That being said, I have been under the impression that aftermarket head units and upgraded wheels will work but the computer must be programmed with this as built data before it will even recognize the new features such as the wheel volume controls.

Anyone?

Last edited by Getportfolio; 2/17/13 at 10:00 AM.
Old 2/17/13, 10:16 AM

Thanks Getportfolio,
I can't remember where I saw it, but someone identified that the ACM is actually in the stock audio head unit, not in another location. So when an aftermarket unit is installed, the steering controls can be used.

Aha, found the link where this was discussed (http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...et-stereo.html)

Other edit: looks like the PAC PR4FD11 does "provides data bus driven outputs such as retained accessory power (RAP), vehicle speed sensor (VSS), illumination, reverse trigger, and parking brake". SO that should be all I need, right?

Last edited by ryguyrulez; 2/17/13 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Link update
Old 2/17/13, 10:37 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice. I had no idea that ACM was in the HU. Like I said, I thought the ACM had to relay commands to the HU. Hence the reflash.

From the sound of one of the posters, he was able to use an aftermarket HU and get the radio controls to work. That's awesome.

I mainly got my steering wheel for the looks but this certainly opens the door to the possibility of a better sound system!

Last edited by Getportfolio; 2/17/13 at 10:39 AM.
Old 2/23/13, 10:53 AM

To update anyone who finds this later, I used the GT500 wheel, PAC PR4FD11, Metra Dash kit, and installed a JVC kd-x50bt. Steering wheel controls work well, and the PAC kit gives you an option to reprogram the wheel buttons to perform different actions on the aftermarket radio (I didn't test this, however).

One significant problem I'm having though - upon installing the GT500 wheel (specifically when loosening the 24mm bolt), the wheel alignment was seriously altered. Before the wheel change, the alignment was fine. How do I go about correcting this??
Old 9/26/13, 09:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Nice. I had no idea that ACM was in the HU. Like I said, I thought the ACM had to relay commands to the HU. Hence the reflash.

From the sound of one of the posters, he was able to use an aftermarket HU and get the radio controls to work. That's awesome.

I mainly got my steering wheel for the looks but this certainly opens the door to the possibility of a better sound system!
Hi,

Know this thread is old, but wanted to add a couple things.

1. ACM = Audio Control Module - It's not IN the head unit, it IS the head unit. They call it this because the architecture is separate. Radio body - ACM, Sync module - Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), Small screen - Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) and Buttons (they are separate from the radio body) - Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM). To be a "Head Unit" proper you have to add ACM+FDIM+FCIM - Body, display and buttons.

2. You can use the MRR with the SR-FOR1-AS firmware to do exactly what the other parts you listed will do and you can still customize your steering wheel buttons online.

Cheers,