'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

MGW Shifter...

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/13, 05:09 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
After reading all of the reviews on here I installed the MGW on on my car Monday night. Can't believe the difference a shifter makes. It feels like a different car. I have not driven any of the other short throw shifters out there and probably never will after driving this one.
Old 9/25/13, 05:35 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh you guys need to stop building this up so much. Mine should be here Friday, going on this weekend hopefully. I'm trying not to expect too much, but it's hard when everyone goes off like it's God's gift to the MT-82.

Waiting for someone to reply, "it is."
Old 9/25/13, 05:40 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
I know, right Burton. I was thinking about it while working out today. And the day before that and the day before that. lol I have to work late tomorrow, so it won't be tomorrow. Maybe Friday, if I don't work late. (We're bombed at work, which is a good thing. )
So wait, you're really gonna order it? Let's make a side bet on who will get theirs installed first... Your MGW or my Maggie
Originally Posted by EF1
After reading all of the reviews on here I installed the MGW on on my car Monday night. Can't believe the difference a shifter makes. It feels like a different car. I have not driven any of the other short throw shifters out there and probably never will after driving this one.
I just saw the heavens open up, light shone down, and angels just sang in unison..."ahhhhhhhhhhh"

Originally Posted by jmaStang
Ahhh you guys need to stop building this up so much. Mine should be here Friday, going on this weekend hopefully. I'm trying not to expect too much, but it's hard when everyone goes off like it's God's gift to the MT-82. Waiting for someone to reply, "it is."

It was, it is, and always will be.

Last edited by FromZto5; 9/25/13 at 05:42 PM.
Old 9/25/13, 06:07 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
So wait, you're really gonna order it? Let's make a side bet on who will get theirs installed first... Your MGW or my Maggie
HA HA!!
You'll probably have the Maggie on before I have the MGW on.
Old 9/25/13, 10:24 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian_289
I'm using the stock **** on my MGW. With mine being a Roush, I wanted to reuse it. It has a different way they go on. Yes the ball screws on normally but it locks in place by a "Sleeve". Works the same as a the jam nut. I don't know what else to call it. But I had no issues installing it with the stock ball. I just reused the "sleeve" and ball and it works great.

I wanted to keep my Roush looking ‘Roush’, if I didn't like the Roush **** I would have defiantly used the MGW ****, I was even thinking about it for a while but decided I liked the Roush look too much. The thing I did different was using the MGW hardware with it, I think the chrome sleeve looks better than the stock one.
Stock;

MGW;

Last edited by Fawls; 9/25/13 at 10:27 PM.
Old 9/26/13, 06:53 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Fawls
I wanted to keep my Roush looking ‘Roush’, if I didn't like the Roush **** I would have defiantly used the MGW ****, I was even thinking about it for a while but decided I liked the Roush look too much. The thing I did different was using the MGW hardware with it, I think the chrome sleeve looks better than the stock one.
Looks great man!
I will be going with the Roush shifter ball as well. Quite possibly a GHIG one.
Old 9/26/13, 09:00 PM
Cobra Member

Stick with black, it would look icky.
Old 9/28/13, 10:00 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Stick with black, it would look icky.
But that's just me. I'm Sicilian. I like "loud" looking. lol
Me thinks the GHIG shifter ball would go killer with the green stitching on the interior of the car.
Old 9/28/13, 03:30 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stage_3
But that's just me. I'm Sicilian. I like "loud" looking. lol Me thinks the GHIG shifter ball would go killer with the green stitching on the interior of the car.
I agree!!!
Old 9/28/13, 06:58 PM
GT Member

Well guys, MGW should be going in tomorrow. I will be working with the installation video on my laptop right there on the ground with me. Any last minute install tips?

Also, I haven't seen an installation review that covers the illuminated cup holders. Is it just a regular clip like the button cluster?
Old 9/28/13, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

Did you click the link on post #9 on page 1? Tips and pix galore! Good luck.
Old 9/29/13, 09:55 PM
GT Member

Installed it today. The job was a bit more than I expected. Space is very limited in the working area under the car.

The shifter feels great. Very solid and direct. I need more time with it to provide a more detailed review, but so far it is a definite improvement.

Those of you with premium interiors, what's up with the electronics clips under the center console? Everything is hooked back up, but there is one clip that for the life of me I cannot find out where I took it out from or where it goes. My cup holder lights work and my trunk release button cluster works. I kind of rushed getting everything back together. It was getting dark and buggy out. I'll take a look again tomorrow and grab some pics if I'm still not seeing it.
Old 9/30/13, 04:05 AM
I Have No Life

Installed it today. The job was a bit more than I expected. Space is very limited in the working area under the car. The shifter feels great. Very solid and direct. I need more time with it to provide a more detailed review, but so far it is a definite improvement. Those of you with premium interiors, what's up with the electronics clips under the center console? Everything is hooked back up, but there is one clip that for the life of me I cannot find out where I took it out from or where it goes. My cup holder lights work and my trunk release button cluster works. I kind of rushed getting everything back together. It was getting dark and buggy out. I'll take a look again tomorrow and grab some pics if I'm still not seeing it.
Congrats... Welcome to the MGW family. As for the connector, did you plug in the hazard light and traction control switch?
Old 9/30/13, 06:15 AM

Installed it today. The job was a bit more than I expected. Space is very limited in the working area under the car.

The shifter feels great. Very solid and direct. I need more time with it to provide a more detailed review, but so far it is a definite improvement.

Those of you with premium interiors, what's up with the electronics clips under the center console? Everything is hooked back up, but there is one clip that for the life of me I cannot find out where I took it out from or where it goes. My cup holder lights work and my trunk release button cluster works. I kind of rushed getting everything back together. It was getting dark and buggy out. I'll take a look again tomorrow and grab some pics if I'm still not seeing it.
Congrats man! Give it about 500 miles and it'll feel even better. Mine loosened up a bit, but the positive, short throws are still perfect

I have a premium interior on my 2013 and I only remember two connectors; one for the TCS/Hazard/Trunk and another for the LED cupholder light.

By clip do you mean where a connector or harness is supposed to be buttoned down to the center console, etc?
Old 9/30/13, 05:38 PM
GT Member

I mean a fuse looking plug. Either way, I closed everything up without reconnecting it and haven't had any problems. My trunk button works and my cup holders light up. If some electronics issue arises, I know where I'll look first.

Been driving it more today and I must say I am impressed. Very firm shifts. The only two notches are when it comes out of gear and when it goes into gear. That being said, high rpm shifts from first to second still take a bit of effort. Regular driving was night and day. I'm still doing some testing, but so far it is definitely an overall improvement.

And do you guys get a little click slapping it to the left in neutral? I'd imagine it's the reverse lockout pin or whatever.

Last edited by jmaStang; 9/30/13 at 05:57 PM.
Old 9/30/13, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That extra clip connector is for those poor guys with the auto tranny, no wonder you don't remember unplugging it or where it goes.
Old 10/1/13, 04:17 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah that click when you tap to the left to make sure you are in neutral before releasing the clutch is the metal part of the MGW that replaces the plastic OEM piece. I think you are right that it's the reverse lockout, that rectangular post on the left side. I love that satisfying tap sound, I always do it twice - just to make sure I'm not going to lurch forward unexpectedly.