Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Installed 6" Components in My '13 GT Premium

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/12, 01:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed 6" Components in My '13 GT Premium

I know there have been a lot of "installed door speakers in my car" threads posted lately, but everyone was basically doing the same thing. Taking the speaker assembly out and replacing it with a 6x8 or 5x7 coaxial setup.

I had a set of Boston SR60 components that I had in my Subaru before I sold it, and I wanted to re-use these in my mustang. I looked on multiple forums and I never really found any information on what setup was in the new shaker system until I came across this post:
https://themustangsource.com/f803/an...t-prem-514025/

Here's some pics of the stock assembly courtesy of jocatch

I saw that the stock setup was a 6" speaker with a tweeter which was perfect for what I wanted to do. I started by taking the speaker and tweeter out of the stock assembly. It was a little bit of work because the woofer and tweeter are both glued in. After I got the stock woofer and tweeter out I took the dremel to the assembly. I cut out the grille and made the hole for the tweeter match my new component tweeter. I screwed the new woofer in from the top which is opposite of the stock woofer, and glued the tweeter in to place.

Here's the finished product:

Also, there's a really nice place to put the crossover in the door panel right above the armrest there is some cloth sound deadening material that you can slide the crossover behind. Doesn't rattle or move around at all.
Old 11/24/12, 03:21 PM
Cobra Member

Bet that is going to sound fantastic compared to stock. Looks good man.
Old 11/24/12, 07:39 PM
GT Member

How much forward clearance is there? Obviously mounting it on the front takes away some, is there still a lot?
Old 11/24/12, 08:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny88
I know there have been a lot of "installed door speakers in my car" threads posted lately, but everyone was basically doing the same thing. Taking the speaker assembly out and replacing it with a 6x8 or 5x7 coaxial setup.

I had a set of Boston SR60 components that I had in my Subaru before I sold it, and I wanted to re-use these in my mustang. I looked on multiple forums and I never really found any information on what setup was in the new shaker system until I came across this post:
https://themustangsource.com/f803/an...t-prem-514025/

Here's some pics of the stock assembly courtesy of jocatch

I saw that the stock setup was a 6" speaker with a tweeter which was perfect for what I wanted to do. I started by taking the speaker and tweeter out of the stock assembly. It was a little bit of work because the woofer and tweeter are both glued in. After I got the stock woofer and tweeter out I took the dremel to the assembly. I cut out the grille and made the hole for the tweeter match my new component tweeter. I screwed the new woofer in from the top which is opposite of the stock woofer, and glued the tweeter in to place.

Here's the finished product:

Also, there's a really nice place to put the crossover in the door panel right above the armrest there is some cloth sound deadening material that you can slide the crossover behind. Doesn't rattle or move around at all.
You should cover that entire assembly with deadener and remount the woofer and tweeter, then cover the area where it mounts to the door with deadener too. Otherwise, good job and I don't get why more people don't do this...
Old 11/25/12, 12:09 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by youngstang90
Bet that is going to sound fantastic compared to stock. Looks good man.
Sounds tons better than stock. I can actually hear the cymbals and high hats. It also sounds much clearer and doesn't distort at louder volumes like the stock units.

Originally Posted by steve03gt
How much forward clearance is there? Obviously mounting it on the front takes away some, is there still a lot?
I didn't measure it, but the door panel also petrudes outwards where the speakers mount. I would say there's still 0.5"-1" in there.

Originally Posted by laserred38
You should cover that entire assembly with deadener and remount the woofer and tweeter, then cover the area where it mounts to the door with deadener too. Otherwise, good job and I don't get why more people don't do this...
If I were going to get serious about it, or had some deadener lying around I would consider it. For now it's so much better than stock that I'm not going to worry about it.

Right, I would guess it's a lot simpler and less intuitive to just slap a 6x8 in the hole, but a round speaker is the better choice. Honestly, if I didn't already have these Bostons I would have gotten 6x8s too.

Now I just need to put an amp behind them, but I'm too lazy and poor to be doing that, haha.

Last edited by jonny88; 11/25/12 at 12:12 AM.