Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Head Unit/Audio Options

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/13, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Unit/Audio Options

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but just for quick references since I'm pretty pressed on research time over this weekend. I just got a 2014 gt base model. I love the car, just a little annoyed with the sound system and the lack of bluetooth. So, I was looking to upgrade the head unit and such. However, after doing a little searching, I've realized the need of a redone dash kit and such to fit everything properly.
So, my question is:
What do you all recommend and like, where to buy, and best bang for the $.
Also, any solid door speaker, rear speaker, or optional trunk subs that you would recommend?

Thanks everyone!
Old 12/2/13, 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

As you've discovered, if you want an upgraded head unit, you will need a metra, scosche, or idatalink dash panel. The first 2 options are cheaper, you can install whatever head unit you like, preferably one with a decent amp to drive the front and rear speakers. The last option requires a pricey Kenwood deck & control module to integrate all the audio/climate controls.

You can install some decent 5x7/6x8s in the doors and rear deck for a good upgrade. But you'll need to add an amp + subwoofer in the trunk to really give the system some punch. The fact you have a base model and are missing the 8" woofers in the doors limits your options. Unless you are willing to cut up the factory base panels, or get a set of premium panels from a salvage yard (which I did).

I'm about to see just what the OEM head unit is capable of, as I've upgraded literally everything else... Keep browsing the forum, there are a ton of posts on speakers, head units, & subs.
Old 12/3/13, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
if you want a good bluetooth setup for audio, i recommend the KINIVO BTC450 - it plugs into your power port in the console, and then plugs into the aux in. however this bt setup is also set for handsfree calling, but i dont use it for that, i just leave everything in the console and out of site.

What i did so i could always leave it in my car and plugged in... is i used a relay and turned my console power port into a switched power port. so it turns on when the car is on, and off when the car is off. it was very very easy to do and works great. this way it automatically connects and disconnects when the car is on or off.

I went thru 2 different blue tooth devices because quality is extremely important to me and so far the kinivo was the best, it sounds like PERFECT.

i'm going with an ipad mini in my car which is why i did all this, check the "temporary tablet" thread in this section.

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 12/6/13 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12/4/13, 07:28 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey DeeJayTJ, May you provide a write up of your install with part number of the relay?
Old 12/6/13, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
basically its like aftermarket SYNC

Originally Posted by amplifier28
Hey DeeJayTJ, May you provide a write up of your install with part number of the relay?
Actually, yes I will.

I've now got 2 bluetooth setups in my car. I'll get back to you guys on the writeup - I may post up a video of how it all works soon.

First bluetooth setup is the kinivo BT450 I use for Audio, and Audio only.

The Second Bluetooth setup is for bluetooth hands free phone its a GROM AUDIO bluetooth/usb setup - they say its for 06-09 mustangs but it works in my 2013 just fine - I've got a flush mount usb port next to my line-in in the centerconsole which can charge AND play music from a harddrive or flashdrive. I took maplight with the security sensors and swapped it out with my base model map light after swapping the housing since it has the holes for the security sensors. I turned the driver side motion sensor into a spot for my microphone for the Bluetooth.

Ill post up a video soon.
Old 12/8/13, 07:41 PM

Adding an aftermarket stereo to a 2014

I added a Pioneer double Din stereo to my 2014 Mustang. I opted for the Scosche kit. It was a simple, clean installation. Scosche made a new control panel for the climate control & it works great. Metra also makes a kit. I chose the Scosche kit because of the touch screen & cosmetics. With their adapter cables it was pretty close to plug & play. I added the Sirius radio option, steering wheel control adapter, video bypass etc. Loving it!