Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Front 8" OEM Door Speaker Info

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/12, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front 8" OEM Door Speaker Info

Long story short, I ended up buying a set of the stock 8" OEM door speakers. On Crutchfield's site, it mentions that it's not worth using the stock 8" speakers due to their odd 1.2 ohm impedence. Well, I checked the speakers and Crutchfield is not entirely correct.

The subs are 1.2 ohm DVC subs that handle 120W RMS per sub. That means that you can wire them up to 2.4 ohms per sub, or down to 0.6 ohms per sub, giving you the abililty to further take them to 1.2 ohms or 4.8 ohms total depending on how you wire them up.

I mention this because it opens options to people who want to (a) put a better amp on the stock speakers w/o replacing speakers, (b) find many more options in aftermarket speakers that will work with the stock amp, or (c) add these to an existing base sound system and find the correct amp.

Crutchfield is usually pretty spot on, but they missed this one. These are clearly dual voice coil subs, giving you some decent wiring options if stock is your forte. I just bought these for the chrome trim rings and am using aftermarket speakers, which will almost always sound better than stock speakers, but if this is what you want to use, now you at least know your options.

Additionally, I have a pair of OEM 8" door speakers for sale now! No chrome trim rings included, but does include the stock grilles. FS thread located here: https://themustangsource.com/f722/oe...7/#post6481224
Old 11/3/12, 02:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crutchfield is pretty out of touch with anything that takes a little creativity or modification. Their reps have been less than helpful with me when I asked questions that you couldn't just google and find the answer in 5 seconds. For example, their site still says there are no aftermarket head unit solutions for my 2012 Focus, and the dash kit and sync retention harness has been out for months.

Most high quality amps can handle pretty low impedance, so you're absolutely right that the stock subs would work fine at 1.2 ohms. Series them up for 4.8 ohms would be fine too since you really wouldn't want to feed them a ton of power anyway.
Old 11/3/12, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely don't want to overpower them, but they would probably make some decent midbass speakers with a good amp on them. 120 watts each is plenty of power per sub IMO when they're that close, I don't want to lose any more of my hearing!
Old 11/4/12, 07:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by zbrewha863
Long story short, I ended up buying a set of the stock 8" OEM door speakers. On Crutchfield's site, it mentions that it's not worth using the stock 8" speakers due to their odd 1.2 ohm impedence. Well, I checked the speakers and Crutchfield is not entirely correct.

The subs are 1.2 ohm DVC subs that handle 120W RMS per sub. That means that you can wire them up to 2.4 ohms per sub, or down to 0.6 ohms per sub, giving you the abililty to further take them to 1.2 ohms or 4.8 ohms total depending on how you wire them up.

I mention this because it opens options to people who want to (a) put a better amp on the stock speakers w/o replacing speakers, (b) find many more options in aftermarket speakers that will work with the stock amp, or (c) add these to an existing base sound system and find the correct amp.

Crutchfield is usually pretty spot on, but they missed this one. These are clearly dual voice coil subs, giving you some decent wiring options if stock is your forte. I just bought these for the chrome trim rings and am using aftermarket speakers, which will almost always sound better than stock speakers, but if this is what you want to use, now you at least know your options.

Additionally, I have a pair of OEM 8" door speakers for sale now! No chrome trim rings included, but does include the stock grilles. FS thread located here: https://themustangsource.com/f722/oe...7/#post6481224
Good find and thank you for sharing! I think crutchfield is good for the average joe. Most people won't know what the difference between wiring in series or parallel even means or does. Using standard resistance ratings is probably safer to keep most consumers from getting confused.