Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

First Impressions - Boss Shift Knob & GT500 Shift Boot

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/13, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Impressions - Boss Shift **** & GT500 Shift Boot

So I have had these two parts sitting in my living room for a couple weeks now, I just haven't had the time to install them (along with the Steeda shifter and shift boot, they're all going in together). But I wanted to give my initial impressions for people considering buying them, or just admiring them.

First, the Boss shift **** -- it's much lighter than I thought it would be. Weight is a big thing in shift *****, and different people prefer different weights. I like a heavy shift ****, it gives you a more positive feeling when shifting. This **** feels like it's made out of a light acrylic, almost plastic. It's not a $100-200 shift ****, but it doesn't feel like one either.

Bottom line: I think it's good for the price, it looks nice, and it has the pedigree of being the Boss ****. But it's one of the cheaper ***** out there for a reason, the quality and feel of a solid, heavy shift **** are just not there.

Second, the GT500 shift boot -- this is a relatively expensive piece, about as expensive as any other shift boot you can get out there. It looks really nice, it is made to keep a shape unlike some custom alcantara boots I have seen. The stitching also pops against the dark grey, and the color combo looks great along with the Boss ****. As for the feel, I'm not a huge fan. It feels kind of cheap, like it's made of a thin alcantara that has been starched to a certain shape. It's not nearly the same as some of the nicer alcantara boots I've seen, but it looks good. And as long as you're not feeling it up, you won't notice the texture. It does look cool and will make people take a second look, though.

Bottom line: Looks good, doesn't feel great. Feels like cheap alcantara.

Bottom line on both -- I think it's a "get-what-you-pay-for" thing. I thought these would be high quality since they are coming from high(ish)-end vehicles, but they are about a 5/10 in terms of overall quality IMO. I think you can get better stuff in the aftermarket for more money, but it's hard to beat for the price.
Old 10/13/13, 11:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have the boss shift **** and I really like it. I think it looks like it belongs in the car. I know many folks love the custom colors and looks of aftermarket *****. I like that it is understated. Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned. Maybe your opinion of it will improve after you install it.
Old 10/14/13, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

installed the GT500 shifter boot a couple of weeks ago and it really dresses up the interior. had to buy a new **** and decided on billet from UPR products. quality shifter **** at a very reasonable price.

Problem with the set up is that I know see how crappy the pleather boot is for the ebrake and I need to get that replaced now with the GT500 ebrake boot.
Old 10/17/13, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Just installed the parts today.

You're right, the GT500 shift boot looks even better on the car. I don't care about the feel so much now, but it looks the ****. I need that e-brake handle cover now, too, haha!

As for the shift ****, it's growing on me ... kind of. It feels nice to shift with, and looks fairly good, but I have a problem with the spacer and threads. With the silver spacer part (the base that connects to the ball), it wouldn't fit on the Steeda short shifter. We ended up having to cut it out at the rib in the middle of the silver base, that shortened it enough that it now fits perfect and it looks good.

I'll post pics to show what I'm talking about, but does this happen to other people? My stock **** wouldn't fit on that Steeda shifter at all either, the shifter was too short.