'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Dash Kit for 2014 Mustang GT Without Nav

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/13, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dash Kit for 2014 Mustang GT Without Nav

Greetings!

My new Mustang is coming soon, and I've begun planning my audio upgrade. So far, I've settled on the Kenwood Excelon DNX890HD Head Unit (unless someone cares to offer a better suggestion - budget is not a concern). I am, however, having trouble deciding on a dash kit.

I've seen both the Metra and the Scosche dash kits, but both place the unit on the bottom. I understand there's a space restriction placing it at the top, however, I came across this photo which had me intrigued:

I'm especially interested in the mid-section placement of the unit. Does anyone know who makes this and where I can find it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 5/20/13, 12:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just out of curiosty. why dont u get the factory nav.. reviews are great on these.
Old 5/20/13, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shiazv@gmail.com
just out of curiosty. why dont u get the factory nav.. reviews are great on these.
Cost vs. DIY. They wanted $2,300-ish from the dealer. I can get the Kenwood unit for $1k, dash kit for appx. $250-300, plus maybe another $200 in add-ons. That give me almost $1k for speakers, sub, amps, etc.

Plus, more features in the Kenwood unit.
Old 5/20/13, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

thts a good justification... hope u get some innovative suggestions from TMS... however i would rather spend my money to hear more good rumble.
Old 5/20/13, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

thts a good justification... hope u get some innovative suggestions from TMS... however i would rather spend my money to hear more good rumble.
The performance add-ons will come after the warranty expires - assuming I keep it. I may be moving to Wyoming, and may have to trade it in on a snowmobile or something

Actually, I probably will keep it and just buy a FWD truck if I do move - keep the 'stang for the nice weather
Old 5/20/13, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been tracking that radio trim on the right for a while. Here is what iDatalink told me on their Facebook site; I cant find an update any where as to when the Mustang solution with the new dash plate shown at the 2013 CES will be out. I really want to go that route with one of the new Kenwood nav units but the Chinese alternatives are looking much better as time is running out. Any news to keep me waiting?

Like · · May 10 at 7:15pm
"
I would also look into the new DNN series from Kenwood for the wifi ability-adds even more features. Check out the web sites of both companies for more info.
Old 5/20/13, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I actually like that Maestro face plate. It looks as they have compressed the havoc unit, because the new Kenwoods have the havoc controls built to the IData link modules. Its a very interesting concept.

Moving the interface up is a nice move. After looking at how the Ford unit is set, there is room if you move the climate module. Using a bigger bracket, and moving that unit down, you could actually mount a radio further up. I am willing to bet this is what Idata link has done. With the controls actually on the radio unit itself, like on my Explorer with the Sony system, there is no need to have all the control *****.

Found a Youtube vid on this. Very interesting indeed. Kenwood is truly making moves with the Ford sync unit by teaming up with ADS (makers of Idata link)

Last edited by Ninjak; 5/20/13 at 09:10 PM.
Old 5/21/13, 03:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ninjak
I actually like that Maestro face plate. It looks as they have compressed the havoc unit, because the new Kenwoods have the havoc controls built to the IData link modules. Its a very interesting concept.

Moving the interface up is a nice move. After looking at how the Ford unit is set, there is room if you move the climate module. Using a bigger bracket, and moving that unit down, you could actually mount a radio further up. I am willing to bet this is what Idata link has done. With the controls actually on the radio unit itself, like on my Explorer with the Sony system, there is no need to have all the control *****.

Found a Youtube vid on this. Very interesting indeed. Kenwood is truly making moves with the Ford sync unit by teaming up with ADS (makers of Idata link)
Brilliant! Excellent find - now it looks like I have to wait until July-ish to get it, but so far, it's my #1 choice.

Thanks for the info!
Old 5/21/13, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6yFi_xZ0Ps
Cool but Kenwood is out of their mind wanting $1k
Old 5/21/13, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rando
Cool but Kenwood is out of their mind wanting $1k
Go to Crutchfield. They are having a 100$ off Kenwood systems now. Plus a extra 50 off if you buy speakers. You can find their systems cheaper for sure, and as a owner of a Kenwood in my 08 I would say they are worth it. I never had a issue with that system.

With these new systems and the way that I-Data Link is and Kenwood is working with Ford's sync systems, I think Kenwood is trying hard to get the new bid for the 2015 Mustang system. I also know Alipine is in the running, and Sony is trying to move into the MUstang, though they are already making the systems for the all the other cars in Ford's lineup.

Which makes me wonder just why the Mustangs and maybe the F-150's do not have a signature brand making the top system for the car...
Old 5/21/13, 08:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Which makes me wonder just why the Mustangs and maybe the F-150's do not have a signature brand making the top system for the car...
probably to keep the cost down and give more HP/$ spend.
Old 5/21/13, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

probably to keep the cost down and give more HP/$ spend.
At 2200~2500 I would not call that cost effective....
Old 5/21/13, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Go to Crutchfield. They are having a 100$ off Kenwood systems now. Plus a extra 50 off if you buy speakers. You can find their systems cheaper for sure, and as a owner of a Kenwood in my 08 I would say they are worth it. I never had a issue with that system.

With these new systems and the way that I-Data Link is and Kenwood is working with Ford's sync systems, I think Kenwood is trying hard to get the new bid for the 2015 Mustang system. I also know Alipine is in the running, and Sony is trying to move into the MUstang, though they are already making the systems for the all the other cars in Ford's lineup.

Nahhh These things aren't worth more than $500.
Old 5/21/13, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

So if you buy aftermarket and install what does it do to your warranty. Like on interior electronics. Like on Sync? Just wondering.
Old 5/21/13, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ssstang67
So if you buy aftermarket and install what does it do to your warranty. Like on interior electronics. Like on Sync? Just wondering.
Since you aren't making any permanent modifications, it shouldn't affect it at all. Similar to if you were to buy different wheels or add a hood kit...as long as you can "undo" the changes, you should be ok.
Old 5/21/13, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Seriously doubt it would effect anything. Some aftermarkets do not even work with sync, so once you disconnect, its just sitting there. If you take out the OEM Radio, just put it up in a decent place so it does not get ruined. simple.
Old 5/21/13, 04:22 PM

What do you guys think of the DNN series of Kenwood receivers? With the wifi capability we should be able to have many extra features but I'm not sure how the new Kenwood "services" will work as a "cloud".
Does anyone know anyone who has one and used the wifi features yet?
Old 5/21/13, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by arazor
What do you guys think of the DNN series of Kenwood receivers? With the wifi capability we should be able to have many extra features but I'm not sure how the new Kenwood "services" will work as a "cloud".
Does anyone know anyone who has one and used the wifi features yet?
I'm interested in learning more - this is my 1st new car in 12 years, so I've been out of the game a while. Can you give me some links to read?

Thanks

[EDIT: Never mind - found it.]

Last edited by ColSaulTigh; 5/21/13 at 07:23 PM.
Old 5/23/13, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very very interesting video. Wonder how that would work with a 2012 car w/o sync?

(For us Boss 302 folks.)
Old 5/23/13, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
Very very interesting video. Wonder how that would work with a 2012 car w/o sync?

(For us Boss 302 folks.)
I think it will. I saw a demo of the unit working on a basic system. Everything worked. Also, it had the H/U all the way at the top which I found interesting.

Quick Reply: Dash Kit for 2014 Mustang GT Without Nav