Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Current phone that works with sync

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/14, 02:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Current phone that works with sync

I had an iPhone 5 till someone stole it out of my locker room while I was playing hockey. I'm considering leaving the iPhone cult. I loved my phone but not all of the sync features work with sync. From personal experience, does someone have a phone that they like. One that lets you reply to texts and all of the other fun sync stuff.
Old 1/29/14, 12:10 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
... From personal experience, does someone have a phone that they like. One that lets you reply to texts and all of the other fun sync stuff.
Hi Mr. V,

This may be helpful: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...atibility-sync Click the features on the left (such as SMS Text Messaging) to see which devices support that feature.

Kim
Old 1/29/14, 02:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 554 Likes on 360 Posts
My Samsung Galaxy S4 works fine with Sync, my S2 did also and I do know it will play over the Bluetooth with a lot of the Apps I have on like Iheartradio and such.
My Friend cannot get his I-Phone to even Sync up with his F550 yet it took less than a minute to Sync mine with it to prove it worked.
As for the Text messages, I do not text a lot or get a lot of texts, I do know it has the canned I am driving text to send back while you are moving though.
Old 1/29/14, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't feel left out. None of the mentioned features work for me on my iPhone 5 as well. Up here in Canada most of the sync features don't even work.
Old 1/29/14, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scrape
Don't feel left out. None of the mentioned features work for me on my iPhone 5 as well. Up here in Canada most of the sync features don't even work.
Hi Scrape,

Although text messaging isn't verified as being supported for the iPhone 5, it should still connect for hands-free calling. Are you having trouble getting the iPhone 5 paired to SYNC?

Kim
Old 1/29/14, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Works great with my Galaxy Nexus. That is, when it actually connects. Idk if its mu phone or what but connecting to the bluetooth sucks. Always disconnects
Old 1/29/14, 05:41 PM
GT Member

The Moto X works much better than my old Verizon Galaxy Nexus with Sync in my 2014. It is compatible with the MAP profile, so SYNC reads my SMS messages and enables me to reply. The "Sent from my Ford" that is tacked on as a signature is a bit pompous, but I've not found a way to disable it.

Of course, the same functions are available stock on the Moto X, including voice reply and dictation to SMS. I've not found a way to have SYNC just enable the bluetooth audio for music and hands free calling while leaving my messages alone.

If you want messaging and calling via Sync, Moto X works as advertised.
Old 1/30/14, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by roadrunner
... Idk if its mu phone or what but connecting to the bluetooth sucks. Always disconnects
Hey roadrunner,

Try performing a soft reset to your phone. It will improve the connection with SYNC. On the Nexus, you'll just need to remove the battery and replace it.

Originally Posted by PonyOx
... I've not found a way to have SYNC just enable the bluetooth audio for music and hands free calling while leaving my messages alone.
Hi PonyOx,

If you'd prefer to not be alerted when a text message comes through, press the PHONE button on your SYNC system > scroll to PHONE SETTINGS > press OK > scroll to MESSAGE NOTIFICATION > press OK > scroll to MESSAGE NOTIFICATION OFF > press OK.

Kim
Old 1/31/14, 05:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam

Hi PonyOx,

If you'd prefer to not be alerted when a text message comes through, press the PHONE button on your SYNC system > scroll to PHONE SETTINGS > press OK > scroll to MESSAGE NOTIFICATION > press OK > scroll to MESSAGE NOTIFICATION OFF > press OK.

Kim
Thanks for the info Kim and we have a partial victory. SYNC no longer commandeers my incoming SMS, but the bluetooth audio and hands free hijack the voice prompts from the phone.

I'll keep fiddling, but the SMS dictation was more of a parlor trick than anything else that I would use behind the wheel. Even having SYNC read and respond to incoming messages was a distraction.

With the mobile apps integration for Slacker working better than it did on the Nexus, I'm satisfied with the current setup.

Now, how about a Google Music integration?
Old 1/31/14, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey roadrunner,

Try performing a soft reset to your phone. It will improve the connection with SYNC. On the Nexus, you'll just need to remove the battery and replace it.
I do that every day because i carry an extra battery so i switch out. Doesn't seem to make a difference. But no worries.. Im pretty sure its my phone.. Ive 'hacked' it quite a bit lol. But thanks
Old 2/2/14, 05:30 PM

With the mobile apps integration for Slacker working better than it did on the Nexus, I'm satisfied with the current setup.

Now, how about a Google Music integration?
I encourage you to post your suggestion for Google Music integration with AppLink at: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/ For the time being, you may still be able to stream music through Bluetooth audio. While the music is playing on the phone, press the VOICE COMMAND button and say BLUETOOTH AUDIO. There will be fewer voice commands accepted this way, but it does still play through the car. Give it a shot!

Originally Posted by roadrunner
I do that every day because i carry an extra battery so i switch out. Doesn't seem to make a difference. But no worries.. Im pretty sure its my phone.. Ive 'hacked' it quite a bit lol. But thanks
As long as you tried it! I didn't want to overlook the easy troubleshooting. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Kim
Old 2/2/14, 07:22 PM
GT Member

I encourage you to post your suggestion for Google Music integration with AppLink at: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/ For the time being, you may still be able to stream music through Bluetooth audio. While the music is playing on the phone, press the VOICE COMMAND button and say BLUETOOTH AUDIO. There will be fewer voice commands accepted this way, but it does still play through the car. Give it a shot!
Kim
It works great as a bluetooth source, but Applink integration would be optimal.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 2/3/14, 05:47 PM

It works great as a bluetooth source, but Applink integration would be optimal.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
You're welcome, PonyOx. I see where you're coming from; AppLink is pretty awesome! I am unable to speculate on future updates. As they become available, announcements will be posted here: http://boards.synccommunity.com/disc...b?redirCnt=1&= Keep an eye out.

Kim
Old 2/13/14, 12:37 PM
Banned

that list isn't even close to accurate, but my Google (LG) Nexus 5 works fine, as did my previous Samsung Galaxy Note II. As did/does my iPad2 and iPhone 4S
Old 3/28/14, 09:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
that list isn't even close to accurate, but my Google (LG) Nexus 5 works fine, as did my previous Samsung Galaxy Note II. As did/does my iPad2 and iPhone 4S
Thank you for your help. I have a galaxy note 2 now and it works very well. Thank you for your input. It helped me decide.
Old 3/28/14, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Thank you for your help. I have a galaxy note 2 now and it works very well. Thank you for your input. It helped me decide.
also my Note 3 works fine too.
Old 3/28/14, 09:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

also my Note 3 works fine too.
That may be my next phone. My iPhone was stolen and I borrowed the note 2. I'm waiting on the new iPhone. The rumors of 2 iPhones, one with a really big screen have me interested. The note 2 is my first Android and I have to admit it's pretty good. I'll never be able to go back to a little screen.
Old 3/28/14, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Go android and never look back.

LG G2
HTC One
Nexus 4/5
Samsung S4/S5
Moto X/G
Old 4/1/14, 01:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member