'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

clean 2013 gt500 SQL install

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/13 | 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up clean 2013 gt500 SQL install

stumbled upon this clean install today. looks like they used kenwood amps, an audison bit 10 processor and audiomobile elite subs:

http://srqcustoms.com/Gallery/ford-mustang-gt500/

Old 6/27/13 | 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Very nicely done! I like the custom-welded amp rack and the power distribution block, however, I don't like the way it looks just floating in the spare tire well. Just my opinion, of course - functionally it should be just fine. I guess they figure since it's covered by the main trunk carpet, who cares what it looks like.

I never used Kenwood Excelon amps - any opinion of them?
Old 6/27/13 | 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah, it looks like they have brackets to make sure it's braced properly but usually you'd see some type of sound deadening at the very least. the owner probably didn't want to add more weight i'd assume plus i think the vibrations come more from the trunk lid than anywhere else back there. i'm just fascinated with how clean the trunk looks.
Old 6/28/13 | 05:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by essque
yeah, it looks like they have brackets to make sure it's braced properly but usually you'd see some type of sound deadening at the very least. the owner probably didn't want to add more weight i'd assume plus i think the vibrations come more from the trunk lid than anywhere else back there. i'm just fascinated with how clean the trunk looks.
If he was going for weight reduction, then why build such a huge sub box out of MDF, and why not use a 5-channel amp instead of 2 Class D amps? Also, why use steel instead of aluminum for the amp rack frame? Same structural rigidity with less weight? Something doesn't ring right there for me, that's all. Plus, while I've never used Kenwood Excelon amps so I have no idea how they perform, Kenwood's known for their head units, not their amps. He could have used 1 higher performance 5-channel amp to save weight....just thinking out loud.

The sub box is a thing of beauty though if you don't mind giving up the trunk space. Personally I'm not a huge bass guy, which is why I went with a JL Stealthbox. I can always pull the 13w3v3 that's in it and change it out if needed.
Old 6/28/13 | 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not too bad of an install. I am sure that the amp rack is braced properly somehow. We just don't see it.
Old 6/28/13 | 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Scrape
Not too bad of an install. I am sure that the amp rack is braced properly somehow. We just don't see it.
It looks like it's screwed into the frame at the bottom (near the left corner), and at the top into the foam holder for the tire pump and fuel funnel (Brembo kit flat solution ) As for bracing, I don't see anything else, but it could be underneath.
Old 6/28/13 | 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like a very nice install. I wish I knew anything about audio to start my own build list but one thing at a time I guess. Getting my tablet to work perfect, followed by tires (have my rims already), then exhaust....God the list is endless. LOVE the car BTY.

Matthew
Old 6/28/13 | 11:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

If you drive a GT500 and are worried about having too much weight in your car you are a little clueless. I like the install. That box is very well done. I would've used different stuff though.
Old 6/28/13 | 04:51 PM
Banned

that is amazing.