Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Big and tall mod, seat track extenders.

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/13, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big and tall mod, seat track extenders.

I am 6'-5" 275, I was almost comfortable with the stock seat position all the way back, almost. I came across an ad for these and decided to try them out in my '13 GT coupe. I couldn't find much info on them so I thought I would do a short review. This is the kit I bought. (In this pic they are upside down)

http://www.cjponyparts.com/seat-trac...5-2013/p/STE2/

The instructions were pretty minimal, but it wasn't to hard to figure out. My seat has an airbag so I disconnected the battery and waited 30 minutes before I unhooked it. The kit requires you to remove brackets on the front of the stock seat rails. I used a grinder and ground the rivet down and punched it out to remove the L brackets. I touched up the bottom of the rails with some black rustoleum after I was done grinding on them. It was a PITA getting the seat bolted back in. I really had to wrestle with it to get it all lined up and back together. The kit raises the front mounting points of the seat up 3/4" of an inch, but moves it back 3-1/2" - 4". It works really well for me, I am comfortable without putting it even close to all the way back. It really adds a bunch of extra leg room. You do lose some forward travel of the seat. Just guessing, I would say that the furthest forward the seat goes now, was 3/4 of the way back on the stock set up. I hope that makes sense. It looks like it will be just about impossible to put anybody behind me in the back seat, even with it all the way forward, but I think it is worth it to have the extra room. I have the 400a power seats, I don't think this works with the recaros. I probably screwed around with it for 3 hours, but I wasn't in too much of a hurry. This is a great mod for us bigger guys. It feels really nice to fit properly in my car. Obligatory pic, just because:

Name:  RPM_5285edit_zps27330059.jpg
Views: 2934
Size:  180.7 KB
Old 4/25/13, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I had did a similar mod in my older Mustang, been thinking about doing this in my Shelby. I am 6'4 290. My backseats are useless anyway, and lol NOBODY can sit behind me. Thanks for the info. Do you really have to grind down things to make this work ?
Old 4/25/13, 09:34 AM
V6 Member

I'm 6'4" and seating position isn't ideal. I don't need as much rearward adjustment but I would like to raise the front edge of the seat effectively increasing the front-to-rear slope giving me more lower thigh support.
would you say this kit does this with any notable improvement?
I have the recarros so if these don't work with those then its a moot point.
Old 4/25/13, 09:59 AM

I don't think there is any way around grinding. The L brackets must be removed from the front of the stock seat bracket, and they are attached with big rivets. I used a big piece of canvas that I had in the garage and wrapped the whole seat, just leaving the front tip of the seat rails exposed. Duct taped it up to assure the seat didn't get damaged.

I don't think these work with the recaros. LMR' s ad for these says it won't work with the boss 302. I had pm'ed another member to ask about them and he said they didn't work properly in his boss. I assume the reason they don't work with boss 302's are the recaros.
Old 4/10/17, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to chime in here and show what piece needs to be removed in order for this mod to work. if you look at the picture on the left is where i have already ground of the pin holding the part on. the track on the right shows the piece that needs to be removed. the only thing that is holding this on is a rivet, so take an angle grinder, dremel, file, or what ever you are using to remove the metal. grind the piece until it is flush with the rail, then tale a metal rod or screw driver, place it on top of the rivet, and use a hammer to punch out the rest of the rivet.

i know that i am 4 years short in responding to this thread, but i looked everywhere for what i am telling/showing you and couldn't find it. for those of you who are hesitant about getting this, know that i am 6 foot 10, and i am now driving comfortably. there is now enough room that i can very nearly extend my legs all the way.
The following users liked this post:
Stangabe (10/6/20)
Old 5/18/18, 04:56 PM

What About the Steering Wheel Distance?

I am 6' 3" and don't have an issue with the seat going back but I do have an issue with the steering wheel not coming out far enough. It would be great is there was a spacer to bring the steering wheel out about 3"?
Old 6/13/23, 07:26 AM

I am 6'5" 270LBS and am Looking at an 2007 Saleen Convertible that's a 5 speed but its 2500+ miles from my house . Would like to drive it home..... I went and sat in (tired to anyway) a 2005 Fastback Saleen locally and boy was it cramped, even just getting in and out. ( Not many vehicles measure up to my F-150 when it comes to driver space) Ok the car was in a garage with another car next to it so may have cause me to not fully open the door. Because it was so tight I first said no go on the vert. I now read this and its giving me hope. My question would be after you modified yours and now knowing what you know would you feel comfortable flying in and modifying your seat at the current owners house ? If so how long should I plan on ( as a first timer) and what tools should I really bring or have on hand ? Also anything you would do differently to speed the process ?

Thanks
Old 6/13/23, 08:14 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,874 Posts
This Forum Has Had No Activity Since 2017 So Likely No Answers From Original Posters. If Anybody Has Done This Mod Please Chime in and Help Out Our New Member!

Have You Watched the Video?

https://www.cjponyparts.com/seat-tra...5-2014/p/STE2/

Also The Seat Belt Can Be an Issue! I Addressed this Many Years Ago!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...r-neck-404684/

Seat Removal Video

On A Side Note Be Very Careful { If }You Have To Remove Side Seat Valance as They are Easy to Break!

Best of Luck!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 6/13/23 at 08:25 AM.
Old 6/13/23, 08:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
This thread is a few years old so I don't think the OP will reply now.

I'm thinking you might be OK with the stock seat, just to get the car home. They do slide way back and go down fairly low. I am 6'2" with 34" inseam pants (long legs) and I don't put the seat all the way back ... but I'm under 200 pounds so arm/belly room is less of an issue for me.

You might check to see if the kit is still available, and if so does it have installation instructions, and that would give you a better idea what is involved. I'm guessing it could be done, but it might be a bit awkward.
Old 6/13/23, 01:41 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Also keep in mind the last forum activity for the OP was on 11/16/15 over 7.5 years ago... Therefore, I wouldn't be counting on a reply from the OP anytime soon!