Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Ambient Lighting Revist

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/16, 01:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Ambient Lighting Revist

Hi all, back when I first got my 2012 Mustang I set about updating it from a base to a premium. I believe I was very successful in doing so, putting in sync with turn by turn directions!, leather seat the whole nine yards. But when I did my Ambient lighting I didn't realize I was going to put a 2013 premium cluster in so I just picked a color I liked and wired it direct to the lighting system. Well now 2-3 years later and running out of mod ideas I decided it might be cool to try to get it working factory now. From what I can tell, Its possible and fairly easy to do.

From what I can see in the diagrams the instrument cluster talks with the module communications network (dealt with when I did the sync install and GPS install) which is connected to the BCM-B, Which in turn sends power out to the ambient lighting. So I'm hoping there is not much difference in modules between a base and premium and I can just hook the proper wires to the proper lights and everything will be golden. But I would like to know if anyone can tell me different part numbers for BCM-B modules I checked tasca and couldn't find them. But I seen no reason why it wouldn't work, both connectors on the BCM-B have all their pins they are just missing wires.

I'm going to try a test of this just by running temp wires to my center console ambient lighting and seeing if I can change it with the cluster settings, If so that will be a cool little upgrade to get the lighting working properly.

Instrument cluster (Look at 14-1 and 14-2)
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710&viewfil...%20Network.pdf

BCM-B for interior lighting (Look at 89-3 and 89-4)
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710&viewfil...or%20Lamps.pdf

Last edited by awoychosky123; 7/11/16 at 01:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ofequipmentgolf (1/25/17)
Old 7/11/16, 01:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Reserved for write up. If this happens to work without needing a new module/programming.
The following 2 users liked this post by awoychosky123:
ASKUSMC (5/7/17), ofequipmentgolf (1/25/17)
Old 7/13/16, 10:16 AM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let us know if it works.

I have gt500 cluster and door sills. Tested for voltage in the module once and found nothing.
Old 7/15/16, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Slowb00st
Let us know if it works.

Tested for voltage in the module once and found nothing.
Correct! I just got done testing the module and found that if your car does not have the ambient lighting the BCM-B is not programmed to send any power out of the B connector (used for the convertible top and ambient lighting)

Rest assured I'm working on the fix for all of you that wish to do this, the parts are not bad but its trying to find them that is the problem.

So far I have deemed that I cannot reprogram my BCM-B (Wont take the new codes for the module). So I turned to Tasca to find a module and they dont sell the BCM-B. So I then turned to eBay where it is rare to find these modules but there are a few, maybe 7. So after lots of eBay messaging trying to find the vin numbers of the cars the modules came out of I found one from a 2010 premium v6 (I have a v6). So I have that ordered up. I'm still waiting for the part but I will let everyone know when it has come.

I am confident that this will fix the issue of no voltage coming out of the module on the ambient lighting wires. I just need to make sure that the instrument cluster sends the right data out to the module and the module switches the colors good. If not then I'm going to call the project dead for now and return the module. But if it all go well then it will be time for step 2, wiring the **** car all over!

But I guess right now its just hurry up and wait.

For anyone shopping for a module make sure you run the vin using Ford Etis: https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Look for:
-Front Scuff Plates - Illuminated
-With Level 'A' Interior Decor

THE MODULE WILL NOT OUTPUT RIGHT IF YOU DON'T GET ONE WITH THESE OPTIONS!

If you have a convertible you need to make sure that the module was out of a convertible as well because the BCM-B connector B handles the convertible top (If you don't have the right module with options your convertible to will stop working.)

So long story short, Its a pain in the *** finding the right used module I just kept finding v6 non premium modules. But I will link the module I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141707404224?euid=ab95eadcba204280b27fdd40331e339f&bu=43983810897&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu
Old 7/15/16, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by awoychosky123
Correct! I just got done testing the module and found that if your car does not have the ambient lighting the BCM-B is not programmed to send any power out of the B connector (used for the convertible top and ambient lighting)

Rest assured I'm working on the fix for all of you that wish to do this, the parts are not bad but its trying to find them that is the problem.

So far I have deemed that I cannot reprogram my BCM-B (Wont take the new codes for the module). So I turned to Tasca to find a module and they dont sell the BCM-B. So I then turned to eBay where it is rare to find these modules but there are a few, maybe 7. So after lots of eBay messaging trying to find the vin numbers of the cars the modules came out of I found one from a 2010 premium v6 (I have a v6). So I have that ordered up. I'm still waiting for the part but I will let everyone know when it has come.

I am confident that this will fix the issue of no voltage coming out of the module on the ambient lighting wires. I just need to make sure that the instrument cluster sends the right data out to the module and the module switches the colors good. If not then I'm going to call the project dead for now and return the module. But if it all go well then it will be time for step 2, wiring the **** car all over!

But I guess right now its just hurry up and wait.

For anyone shopping for a module make sure you run the vin using Ford Etis: https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Look for:
-Front Scuff Plates - Illuminated
-With Level 'A' Interior Decor

THE MODULE WILL NOT OUTPUT RIGHT IF YOU DON'T GET ONE WITH THESE OPTIONS!

If you have a convertible you need to make sure that the module was out of a convertible as well because the BCM-B connector B handles the convertible top (If you don't have the right module with options your convertible to will stop working.)

So long story short, Its a pain in the *** finding the right used module I just kept finding v6 non premium modules. But I will link the module I bought: 10 11 12 Ford Mustang Light Module OEM AR3T 14D628 BH 313841 | eBay
Did you try the as built on the BCM? I remember I updated that a couple of times and i got the security sensor, hood sensor etc enabled/disabled etc. As they are all the same P/N's i assume an as build update could do it.
LEXiiON
Old 7/15/16, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Did you try the as built on the BCM? I remember I updated that a couple of times and i got the security sensor, hood sensor etc enabled/disabled etc. As they are all the same P/N's i assume an as build update could do it.
LEXiiON
Thats my problem, for some reason my BCM wont accept new as built codes, the ids says after i punch in the codes and turn the keys that module reprogramming failed. If it went for that I could just reprogram my module instead of buying a new one.
Old 7/16/16, 06:04 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
LEXiiON
Dont know much about flashing modules, but can the bcm be flashed on its own without flashing anything else?
Old 7/16/16, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, as far as I know you can just go to the Module Programing section in IDS and go to as built and select BCM-B. But LEXiiON can probably confirm better because it sounds like he has flashed his before. Mine just won't take the flash, but maybe the module I have coming will take the flash.
Old 7/20/16, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

UPDATE!

I got my module in today... and it worked! I hooked up a extra door sill I had to pins 26, 25, 24, on the B connector and 24 on the A connector and when I opened my door the light came on! It worked with all the standard colors and mycolor. On top of all the the 2010 module worked just fine in my 2012 car. It had no problem with the 2013 tail lamps and the module read the data the 2013 cluster sends out so the 2010 module is 100% compatible with 2011-14 cars!

Now for the fun part.

I spent my entire afternoon striping the car. I took off the driver and pass door sills and kick panels, rear seats, center console, radio face, driver side shaker amp, disconnected and removed all the old ambient lighting wiring. The only wiring left in there is for the doors because I was too lazy to take them off today.

I have a plug coming for the module and ordered up lots of wires! and pigtails. I'm using these pigtails because its cheaper than getting ford ones, but if I had the budget I would!

Tomorrow I'm waiting for a replacement 2013 tail lamp because my old replacement had moister (the one getting replaced was for another tail lamp with moister, just my luck) so I am going to have my pig tails in and wire, so I figure I will work while I wait. I am going to make one big harness and label the wires to where they go, both on the module side and on the light side. I'm thinking I want to follow the BCM-B "A" connector wiring harness down through the car and split off at each light group. So I will run the LED return through the entire car and have it end at the drive sill, but the other lighting groups will split off and stop at the respective lights.

The other route I could go would be to only run 4 wires for everything powered from one group on the BCM-B but then the light system might not work 100% right, and it won't be as factory.

This was my old setup, it powered the front foot well lamps and the door lamps, and the center console lamps all from the traction control switch assembly light. I removed this mess and will have something a lot more factory going in (Hopefully just a wiring harness that runs with the rest.
Old 7/21/16, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Day 2

I got my footwell lamps wired into a harness and ran to the back of the car, I also managed to run my door lights in, but I don't think I have room now for my pony projector lamps I want I also got the LED return ran throughout the car, tomorrow I will wire the sills and center console. Then on Saturday I am going to have my plug in so I should be all done by Saturday Evening.
Old 7/23/16, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got the car put back together today and wow, the lighting works great, I will let the video speak for itself, I tried to get the footwell lights but you couldn't see them very well in the video. Look for a write-up soon.

Old 8/22/16, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
very good! looking forward to a writeup. I wired mine to an aftermarket rbg controller with the factory lighting and did a little bit of research on the BCM-B module a while back once i went to the trackapps cluster but didnt persue anything with it but would certainly like to integrate the cluster into it all instead!

im guessing all the power comes from the bcm-b? no need for a seperate LED amp/power supply?
Old 8/23/16, 10:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
very good! looking forward to a writeup. I wired mine to an aftermarket rbg controller with the factory lighting and did a little bit of research on the BCM-B module a while back once i went to the trackapps cluster but didnt persue anything with it but would certainly like to integrate the cluster into it all instead!

im guessing all the power comes from the bcm-b? no need for a seperate LED amp/power supply?
Yes everything is wired to the bcm
Old 1/5/17, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

So if I were to reprogram or attempt to reprogram my BCM-B module with IDS...
I've compared my asbuilt data with a car thats got the ambient lighting that i want and i only see 3 lines different for the BCMB asbuilt data.

The info below (not in the screen shot) is an Ambient Lighting Car with Sync and no reverse sensing, it only seems to be the first 3 lines that are different. My car does not have sync, or really any other goodies since its a base model. (trackapps cluster installed etc)

Any idea what each of these lines are? or which ones specifically are for ambient lighting? I havent touched my VCM-II in quite a while, kind of scared to attempt this lol, last thing I used it for was the cluster swap and enabling trackapps and that was a LONG time ago.

BCMB 7B7-01-01 1062 4080 F2
BCMB 7B7-02-01 0100 0000 C2
BCMB 7B7-03-01 0100 0000 C3

BCMB 7B7-04-01 8500 0000 48
BCMB 7B7-05-01 253A 0C00 2F
BCMB 7B7-06-01 6400 0000 29
BCMB 7B7-07-01 1101 0101 DA

MY BCM-B asbuilt

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 1/5/17 at 08:19 PM.
Old 1/6/17, 03:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have no clue. I couldn't get my car to take the reprogramming so I had to find a module from a wrecker. But as long as you have a backup of your original as built I would say go for it.
Old 1/16/17, 06:52 PM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the write up still pending?
Old 1/19/17, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cholmes1
Is the write up still pending?
Im not sure, It has been a while since I did this mod, so my memory is faded a bit on what exactly I did. It is not the worst thing to figure out. Im sure anyone that wants to do this can figure it out with what I have provided so far. If anyone needs help just drop a message and I will try to back to them.
Old 1/23/17, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

after looking at all the diagrams and all that, i see that there are 3 zone's so it wont have to just be the 3 pins listed in the first thread to control all the lights since those would only be one out of the 3 zones.

I am having trouble with my VCM-II, I dont have the laptop i originally used for my vcm and for whatever reason cannot seem to get my software to work on my new laptop, i try to go into module programming and it basically tells me that its unavailable

so once i figure out what the heck is up with that or get a new version of ids or whatever i need, then ill try to reprogram my bcm-b (loading the asbuilt data from what i listed earlier) and then if it works, ill use this thread for a write up.

maybe someone can PM me some instructions or things to try to get my vcm-II software reloaded and working properly. It can "read" just fine, but going into module programming it just doesnt seem to let me. I'm using windows 8.1, but installed all the software as windows 7 compatibility - I originally used an OLD windows XP laptop, i also used someones windows 7 or 8.1 laptop once before and it worked fine! but for whatever reason my windows 8.1 install with IDS and my vcmII just isnt working for me
Old 1/24/17, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
after looking at all the diagrams and all that, i see that there are 3 zone's so it wont have to just be the 3 pins listed in the first thread to control all the lights since those would only be one out of the 3 zones.

I am having trouble with my VCM-II, I dont have the laptop i originally used for my vcm and for whatever reason cannot seem to get my software to work on my new laptop, i try to go into module programming and it basically tells me that its unavailable

so once i figure out what the heck is up with that or get a new version of ids or whatever i need, then ill try to reprogram my bcm-b (loading the asbuilt data from what i listed earlier) and then if it works, ill use this thread for a write up.

maybe someone can PM me some instructions or things to try to get my vcm-II software reloaded and working properly. It can "read" just fine, but going into module programming it just doesnt seem to let me. I'm using windows 8.1, but installed all the software as windows 7 compatibility - I originally used an OLD windows XP laptop, i also used someones windows 7 or 8.1 laptop once before and it worked fine! but for whatever reason my windows 8.1 install with IDS and my vcmII just isnt working for me
Feel free to write one on here, I will copy and paste it on to the first post if you do.

Hmm that VCM problem is strange. I could get passed module programing in mine, but my BCM-B wouldn't ever take the flash after I typed in the as built so I gave up and got one from a wreaker. I used a desktop with windows 10 on it and it would let me in just fine. But mine has to be run in a Virtual machine running windows xp. I could try and send you the files, but they are quite a few GB.
Old 1/25/17, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by awoychosky123
Feel free to write one on here, I will copy and paste it on to the first post if you do.

Hmm that VCM problem is strange. I could get passed module programing in mine, but my BCM-B wouldn't ever take the flash after I typed in the as built so I gave up and got one from a wreaker. I used a desktop with windows 10 on it and it would let me in just fine. But mine has to be run in a Virtual machine running windows xp. I could try and send you the files, but they are quite a few GB.
if you could send me the files that would be GREAT! I dont know whats up with my install! I could give you an upload directory to my dropbox which i think i've got 10GB available, OR my google drive which i think has about the same.

I've been trying to use windows 8.1 through a macbook using bootcamp (which means it boots directly into windows and not a vm) I do have an old Dell laptop i plan to try but it also has windows 8.1. if the dell laptop doesnt work on 8.1 I guess I could try the VM route...

did you have a pigtail for the bcm-b? or just pin it yourself?

Quick Reply: Ambient Lighting Revist