Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Aftermarket Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/13, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Reverse Camera

Just got a 2014 GT Premium Coupe without the reverse camera (color was more important).

Any recommendations on a good aftermarket unit and any installation tips?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10/4/13, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got a generic flleabay special and mounted it between the rear license plate lights. only cost like $20. and still works great 2+ years later. very inconspicuous. if you search around fleabay you can find one that will work.
Old 10/4/13, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bones302
i got a generic flleabay special and mounted it between the rear license plate lights. only cost like $20. and still works great 2+ years later. very inconspicuous. if you search around fleabay you can find one that will work.
Can you snap a pic or two of your mounting location and where you ran the wire for the camera into the trunk?
Old 10/4/13, 10:48 PM
Bullitt Member

You can always just buy the stock spoiler with the backup camera if you want, I love the look of that spoiler.

I have a Kenwood camera that hooks into my Kenwood head unit. It was definitely not $20, more like $200 (for the camera, head unit sold separately). I mounted it just above the license plate in that well, it just attaches with a screw. Hardly noticeable and doesn't interfere with view of the license plate at all.
Old 10/5/13, 02:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by zbrewha863
You can always just buy the stock spoiler with the backup camera if you want, I love the look of that spoiler.

I have a Kenwood camera that hooks into my Kenwood head unit. It was definitely not $20, more like $200 (for the camera, head unit sold separately). I mounted it just above the license plate in that well, it just attaches with a screw. Hardly noticeable and doesn't interfere with view of the license plate at all.
Any suggestions for routing the camera wire from the back to the front head unit?

Considering doing the same as the OP and might go with Kenwood (and new dash kit from iDatalink).
Old 10/5/13, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I recently got the raxiom nav unit with camera. I ran the wiring from the dash under the passenger floorboard carpeting over to the passenger footwell kick panel and tucked it under there. Then I ran it back towards the trunk under the door sill trim and popped the rear passenger side trim panel off slightly next to the seat just enough to slide the wire under it and back to the trunk fold down seat opening and ran it under the carpeting from there under the trunk carpet back along the passenger side and I have the wiring just sitting in the trunk. I want to see where other people ran their wiring from the actual externally mounted camera, into the car from the outside. And where they mounted their camera. I don't want the wire running over the bumper. It needs to be invisible and the camera needs to be discreet.
Old 10/5/13, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by flynavy
I recently got the raxiom nav unit with camera. I ran the wiring from the dash under the passenger floorboard carpeting over to the passenger footwell kick panel and tucked it under there. Then I ran it back towards the trunk under the door sill trim and popped the rear passenger side trim panel off slightly next to the seat just enough to slide the wire under it and back to the trunk fold down seat opening and ran it under the carpeting from there under the trunk carpet back along the passenger side and I have the wiring just sitting in the trunk. I want to see where other people ran their wiring from the actual externally mounted camera, into the car from the outside. And where they mounted their camera. I don't want the wire running over the bumper. It needs to be invisible and the camera needs to be discreet.
This is how I ran the wiring as well. As for going from outside to inside, I drilled a hole up underneath where the license plate is, on the bottom of the top ledge there. Then ran the wiring in through the trunk latch and back around to the passenger side, from there just how you described it.

One thing to note -- I was having problems with the camera going in and out for a few weeks, so I secured the camera mount and gave a little more slack to the camera, cleared it all up. The wiring will move, so give some slack so that the camera feed doesn't go out.
Old 10/5/13, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

This is how I ran the wiring as well. As for going from outside to inside, I drilled a hole up underneath where the license plate is, on the bottom of the top ledge there. Then ran the wiring in through the trunk latch and back around to the passenger side, from there just how you described it. One thing to note -- I was having problems with the camera going in and out for a few weeks, so I secured the camera mount and gave a little more slack to the camera, cleared it all up. The wiring will move, so give some slack so that the camera feed doesn't go out.

Yeah I figured I'd have to drill a hole in the bumper for the wire. I'm probably going to try and tackle this tomorrow. Did you drill with te bumper still on the car? I just don't want to drill up and hit something that I shouldn't lol.
Old 10/5/13, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually a shop did, I couldn't put a hole in it
But basically, to make sure you don't hit anything, do it with the trunk open and the carpet pulled back. You can see right through that way.
Old 10/5/13, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Gotcha. I'll pull the carpet and stuff up tomorrow and make sure I don't screw anything up...hopefully
Old 10/5/13, 11:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by flynavy
Gotcha. I'll pull the carpet and stuff up tomorrow and make sure I don't screw anything up...hopefully
Can't y'all just follow where the license plate light wiring comes into the rear of the car? That way you don't have to poke any unnecessary holes. Just saying!
Old 10/6/13, 07:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Deep Blue
Can't y'all just follow where the license plate light wiring comes into the rear of the car? That way you don't have to poke any unnecessary holes. Just saying!
Ill experiment with that as well. The wire seems like it might be too thick to really be able to do that but trust me I will exhaust all options before I still any holes in this car.
Old 10/6/13, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Deep Blue
Success! Thank you for your suggestion because it worked! I didn't think the wire was thin enough but I popped the tag light housing out , fed the wiring inside through the bumper and snapped the housing back in and it seems To have fit just fine without damaging the wire and then ran the wire through the rubber grommet at the bottom of the spare tire well. I cut a small notch to allow the wire to feed trough the grommet ad allow it to still seal up. Fed the wire through and connected the camera and taped off the grommet just to be extra sure to keep water out and I'm all set! Camera installed. And I used double sided tape for now to secure the camera because I'd rather not drill holes. Works perfectly and you can't even tell unless you're eyeball is up under the bumper inspecting it.

Aftermarket Reverse Camera-image-292647201.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Reverse Camera-image-3333775918.jpg  
Old 10/6/13, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Recommend you put a little silicone sealant on that grommet to prevent any moisture from getting in.
Old 10/6/13, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 14rs3roush
Recommend you put a little silicone sealant on that grommet to prevent any moisture from getting in.
Thanks for the tip. I'll be picking some up at the store after the Cowboys win today (hopefully lol)
Old 10/6/13, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Go Cowboys...looking good so far.
Old 10/6/13, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 14rs3roush
Go Cowboys...looking good so far.
So Far is the key to that lol
Old 10/6/13, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice work there! I would try to reinforce the mount somehow, mine started to come loose after a month or so and we had to drill it in. Then again, I live in FL where it rains every day in the summer.
Old 10/6/13, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice work there! I would try to reinforce the mount somehow, mine started to come loose after a month or so and we had to drill it in. Then again, I live in FL where it rains every day in the summer.
Yeah I'll see how this 3M "outdoor/automotive" double sided tape holds up. I'm trying to avoid drilling at all costs. Thanks for the heads up. It's just nice to have it functioning finally.
Old 10/6/13, 08:45 PM
GT Member

Glad to see it worked out. Looks good, small and discreet.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Reverse Camera