Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

adding OEM heated seats to 2012 GT premium

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/16, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding OEM heated seats to 2012 GT premium

Hey guys new to the forum here but have done a bit of research on the subject before posting this. My question is if it is possible to add heated seats to a 2012 Mustang GT with premium package. I specifically would like to go OEM rather than aftermarket. I have found the center panel with seat heater controls on eBay as well as as the heater pads. http://www.ebay.com/itm/361759023009?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIThttp://www.ebay.com/itm/111553630673?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Is there anything else that would be needed and is there somewhere else to find these parts cheaper? Thanks for the help!
Old 10/26/16, 12:42 PM

So after doing a little more research from what little else I could find on this subject online I think i have most of the process figured out. Key word most, I still have two important questions before I dive in on this project. So far I know that I will need two seat back heaters as well as two seat cushion heaters, and the radio/AC bezel that has the seat heater buttons on it. What i'm not 100% sure about is the heater control module. I have a 2012 GT premium with no NAV, dual zone AC so i'm assuming the heater control module I currently have is a W/O dual zone ATC, W/O heated seats. My question is will I need to purchase the one for W/O dual zone ATC, W/heated seats?
Here is the link of the one i'm thinking I need to get: http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/musta...h-control-unit

Lastly my second question is If I purchase the OEM seat heater pads will there be an open connection on the seat wiring harness for them to plug into or did cars that didn't come from factory with heated seats have a different seat wiring harness? Thanks in advance for any help you may be!
Old 11/7/16, 10:10 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you will need to buy the W/O dual zone ATC, W/heated seats.

I am about 90% complete on this install and have run into a jam.

-swapped out the heater control module.
-swapped out the radio/ HVAC face
-installed both front heated seats

Now all I get is the red light turns on when you push the buttons on the heated seat switched. I still need the part numbers for the wiring harness -the harness that goes from the dash to the seats.
I would appreciate it if you had these numbers.
Old 11/14/16, 06:33 AM

I will try looking for the harness part number and get back with you if I come up with anything. When you added the oem seat heaters to your seats was there anywhere in your current seats for you to plug the heaters into, or is there a separate harness needed as well? Thanks
Old 11/16/16, 01:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade but I see a few problem.

-The heated seat are built into the body harness so I think you will have to create your own harness. I have the Mustang Service Manual with pinout and wiring diagram so if you need help PM me and I will see what I can do.

-You may have to change your build as data in the BCM. I would read the sticky post about adding factor navigation. In short Ford puts data in the BCM to tell it what functions a Mustang came with from the factor pretty much to stop what you are trying to do. They don’t want you adding feature on the cheap, they much rather you buy the car with all the option and spend more money. So you will either you will have to find a friend with the Ford VCM-II or buy one yourself and find a car with all the options you have plus Heated Seats and download it’s build Data (As-Built) from Ford. Again if you have any question PM and I will get back to you with what info I have.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Coyote (1/15/17)
Old 1/5/17, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any updates on this? I have a 2011 base that I am adding a Kenwood and Maestro RR into, and would like to add seat heaters into my 2013 leather seats so that I can control them through the double din.

have the HVAC control ordered, just trying to find out exactly what needs to be done to make it all function like oem and not on a toggle switch.

I have the "climate controlled seats" diagram from here:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710&viewfil...ed%20Seats.pdf

and am using the Dorman universal seat heater kit. have the part number from above for the HVAC module, just want to make sure it's possible before ordering everything else.

Thanks for the support guys!
Old 1/15/17, 04:52 PM

Sorry Fiveleeter I pretty much gave up on it after seeing what Bedrat2 had to say. I wish you luck on figuring everything out though. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 1/16/17, 12:29 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
This may sound dumb (a lot of what I say does!), but I have a 2011 Premium, and I have OEM heated seats - work great BTW. I thought Premium includes heated seats, no?
Old 1/19/17, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
it was an option on premium cars.
Old 1/19/17, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bedrat2
I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade but I see a few problem.

-The heated seat are built into the body harness so I think you will have to create your own harness. I have the Mustang Service Manual with pinout and wiring diagram so if you need help PM me and I will see what I can do.

-You may have to change your build as data in the BCM. I would read the sticky post about adding factor navigation. In short Ford puts data in the BCM to tell it what functions a Mustang came with from the factor pretty much to stop what you are trying to do. They don’t want you adding feature on the cheap, they much rather you buy the car with all the option and spend more money. So you will either you will have to find a friend with the Ford VCM-II or buy one yourself and find a car with all the options you have plus Heated Seats and download it’s build Data (As-Built) from Ford. Again if you have any question PM and I will get back to you with what info I have.
This is very much correct. The heated seat harness is built into the body harness for the car. However after studying the diagrams, it looks like you only have to run 2 wires to each seat. You could probably wire them down the center console and down into each seat pan.

As for the as built the only module you would have to flash would be you hvac module. You should be able to just re flash the one that came with the car. Or if you did get one that had heated seats you should be good to go.

The only real snag I see is that in the diagrams it shows a "Heated Seat Relay Box" I dont quite know where this mounts to but it looks like it is required in order to have functioning rear seats. It looks like this box is what sends the signal to the heat pads. The hvac module requests the heated seats to turn on and the relay actually sends out the power, Probably put in there so that you can have 2 different heat settings.
Old 9/5/17, 09:52 AM

Not hard to do. You do have to get a heated seat hvac control module, you will have to add two pins into the harness that connects to it. These will run to the drivers seat harness. You will also add one wire from the fuse panel in the right kickpanel to the drivers seat harness and a wire from the drivers kickpanel to the drivers seat. And the last wire goes from the drivers seat harness to the passenger seat harness. Both seat harnesses can be gotten from tasca parts. The best way to get the correct pins for the plugs is to order a replacement plug pigtail then remove the pins you will need. Last step is to download the program forscan. Take you vin number to ford service web site download the as built data for your car. Then get a vin number for a mustang with heated seats. Download that's cars as built data. Compare the two and using the program forscan u can change the programming of the module that needs it. In this case it's just the GEMS module I can give u all the part numbers if u need them. Not hard to do. I did this also to add rear parking sensors to my 2014 mustang as well as the heated seats. In that case u will modify the gems and the icm I have the changes u willl need to do.