Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2011 GT upcoming ultimate budget build

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/13, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GT upcoming ultimate budget build

The week before last I had an issue with one my my phoenix gold subwoofers coming apart due to some spirited driving and a subwoofer box not being properly mounted. This along with ColSaulTigh and Jdub dominating this forum all summer motivated me to finally put together my final system for the Mustang.

The majority of everything was pieced together from craigslist, refurbs and some old school equipment I've had for years but never installed. The wiring, deadening and battery was bought new. Waiting on the scosche or idatalink dash kit to come out and still have to shop for a head unit. I'm tempted to pick up the Audison Bit 10 processor as well. Any comments or suggestions are welcome before the install which will be done before the woodward cruise.

JBL BP1200.1 Mono Amp ($90)
Orion WCC-6004 4 Channel Amp ($65)
2 10" Diamond M6 subs w/vented enclosure (did a test install, they pound!) ($150)
2 CDT HD-6 Mid's ($110)
2 CDT TW-25 Silk Dome Tweeters + XT-470 crossovers ($99)
2 Blaupunkt TSx573 Transparent Series 6x8's (bought back in '05 from crutchfield, 2 pairs for the price of one! $70)
KnuKonceptz 120 amp fuse holders + wiring ($75)
XS Power D375 second battery ($130) so tiny and so awesome lol
Lanzar Opti-X9 bass enhancer ($40)
Stinger Road Kill sound deadening ($95)

My previous system was a temporary set up that ended up lasting for over a half year. Audiopipe 1500d amp and two phoenix gold x10d2 subs. I sold the amp on ebay and while it was reliable, I will never buy audiopipe again. Cheap power looks good on the internet but when you can't turn the gains up without clipping or blowing your subs, it really sucks. I let a so called installer tamper with the gains and it ended up blowing my RF Power HX2 12" sub that absolutely slammed (I'm still bitter). look at this melted audiopipe fuse holder lol:

And this is a picture of the Phoenix Gold x10d2 that survived. I'm going to pick up another one in the used market and install them in a huge vented enclosure for my home studio. That's going to be a fun project:

What I'm debating now is to get some CDT 8's for the doors or possibly getting the g-logic kick panels to house the 6.5's and tweeters. Don't know which direction to take. I have the base model GT so the 8's would have to be custom mounted. Or I could ditch the 6x8's and run a 3 way set-up with the 8's, 6.5's and tweeters all installed in the doors. The other option would be to keep the 6x8's, install the 8's in the doors and then put the 6.5's and tweets in the kick panels. decisions, decisions. Like I said, this is a budget build and I have million other things I need to do to this car so we'll see.
Old 7/29/13, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be selling my Metra dash kit cheap once the iDataLink one is available if you're interested - let me know. Not a scratch on it, and you know how long it's been in service...
Old 7/29/13, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

tempting but i've held out this far, gotta wait it out. the idatalink should be a godsend if it's really $150. top mount double din ftw!
Old 7/30/13, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by essque
tempting but i've held out this far, gotta wait it out. the idatalink should be a godsend if it's really $150. top mount double din ftw!
It's not top mount - it's mid-mount. you can't top mount it because of the depth issues. There's a cross-bar that holds the OEM LCD screen in place that's in the way. You'd have to do some major modifications to make it fit.

BTW, I expect nothing less than the same level of detail that I did on my build - pics, videos, commentary - it's time for y'all to keep me entertained this time!
Old 8/5/13, 07:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Made some progress tonight on the sound deadening. Apparently 36 square feet is enough to cover the trunk lid and approximately 65% of the trunk. Going to have to order another box to cover the rest and hopefully have enough left over for the doors. The Stinger Roadkill is of high quality and has been good to work with. It's also pretty light. I will post reviews on its effectiveness when the system is done.

Also, I spoke with Scosche today and they said the 2010+ dash kit for the Mustangs will be available next week. Sucks that idatalink is taking so long but I can't afford to wait another month or two.

Last edited by essque; 7/2/14 at 07:51 AM.
Old 8/6/13, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by essque
Made some progress tonight on the sound deadening. Apparently 36 square feet is enough to cover the trunk lid and approximately 65% of the trunk. Going to have to order another box to cover the rest and hopefully have enough left over for the doors. The Stinger Roadkill is of high quality and has been good to work with. It's also pretty light. I will post reviews on its effectiveness when the system is done.

Also, I spoke with Scosche today and they said the 2010+ dash kit for the Mustangs will be available next week. Sucks that idatalink is taking so long but I can't afford to wait another month or two.

I went with Audio Technix 80mil Deadener. They've got it on sale for $104 SHIPPED for 40'^2.

It's suppose to arrive today - I'll update my thread once I get it installed. I'm focusing on the door first, then the trunk.
Old 8/15/13, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

*TAP* *TAP* *TAP* Is this thing on???

10 days and no update? For shame! How's the build going???
Old 8/18/13, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh
*TAP* *TAP* *TAP* Is this thing on???

10 days and no update? For shame! How's the build going???
Maybe someone closed the trunk on his and hes still in there .
Old 8/19/13, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

lol im just waiting on the scosche or idatalink dash kit to come out so i can get everything hooked up. I have the subs in now and finished sound deadening the trunk. looks like im going to have to do something to prevent the faux gas cap from rattling because its giving me problems.
Old 8/19/13, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got the Metra 5826CH kit (newest one) and I love it! Maybe you should consider it if you're feeling impatient