Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Window tint

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/12, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverstate777
I’m in hot & sunny southern Nevada and use the Formula One brand window tint, specifically the “Pinnacle” series for my last two cars because of the following properties it offers:

Proprietary non-metallized, nonconductive nano-ceramic technology maximizes heat and ultraviolet rejection, keeping you and your vehicle cool and helping to protect from the damaging effects of the sun. And unlike metallic products, Pinnacle films won’t interfere with your GPS, keyless entry, radar detector, mobile phone, and other radio frequency technology you rely on in your vehicle.

Other Formula One tint choices here: http://www.formulaone.com

+1. F1 pinnacle is good stuff. I just had mine done. 35% on sides, 20% back, legal limit in KY.

Name:  4FFDEFBD-F4E1-47DE-9C89-8E9A9945AADE-3667-000005EC26316FCC.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  87.9 KB
Old 10/10/12, 08:26 AM
GT Member

Hi Andrew. I'm really happy with the Crystalline from 3M. This is the fifth car I've had it on.

Mine does an excellent job of keeping the heat out and it's dark enough that I don't need to turn the sun visor to the side and light enough that I can see clearly at night. I have the CR40 (Georgia). You can get an idea of what it looks like here... https://themustangsource.com/garage/1781

This may also be helpful. http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

I've never had a problem with it and it comes with a lifetime warranty. I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice. Good luck.
Old 10/10/12, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Andrew41
I live in the Harrisburg area.

Can any of you recommend a tint shop in this area?
i can not recommend anyone over there as i don't any

however, my guy would come to hbg if he had 5 cars to do

he does awesome work , he has a done a ton of mustangs and others here in pgh

let me know if interested or you might just want to go with that shop the other guy recommended
Old 10/10/12, 09:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by IguanaKeepr
Hi Andrew. I'm really happy with the Crystalline from 3M. This is the fifth car I've had it on.

Mine does an excellent job of keeping the heat out and it's dark enough that I don't need to turn the sun visor to the side and light enough that I can see clearly at night. I have the CR40 (Georgia). You can get an idea of what it looks like here... https://themustangsource.com/garage/1781

I've never had a problem with it and it comes with a lifetime warranty. I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice. Good luck.
I like yours!
I'm not familiar with the brand names, what percentage of tint is that? I like that you can still see thru it (helps alleviate issues with law enforcement in my experience here in Michigan), yet it still adds immensely to the appearance, and of course reduces the light coming in.
Old 10/10/12, 09:54 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JoesCat
I like yours!
Thanks! It's 39%.
http://catalogue.3m.eu/en_EU/EU-awf/...ve_Window_Film
Old 10/10/12, 10:00 AM
GT Member

I suggest 35%. I think its in the middle. During the day its not so dark to be obvious that you'll get pulled over due to suspicion. And during the night i think it provides enough privacy.

If i ever see police Ill just roll my windows down or turn on the interior lights. As long as they can see inside and they feel safe.
Old 10/10/12, 11:13 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mirad_GT12
I suggest 35%. I think its in the middle. During the day its not so dark to be obvious that you'll get pulled over due to suspicion. And during the night i think it provides enough privacy.

If i ever see police Ill just roll my windows down or turn on the interior lights. As long as they can see inside and they feel safe.
That's what I had, and did, in my Charger. It appeared slightly darker since the first edition Charger's have such small windows.

In seven years, I was only stopped once for it, and I think that was just a stop of convenience since he was right there as I drove by, with no one behind me. By the time I pulled over, all windows were opened and my hands visible on top of the steering wheel. I didn't reach for the registration until he was up to the car and I told him I'd be reaching for it in the glovebox.
He told me he stopped me for the tint.

Be cool and respectful of that constant fear of the unknown LEO's face when stopping people, and it can go a long way!

We ended up chatting about the car and the police edition chargers (he wasn't driving one, yet). He checked my record and parted with "have a nice day". He never mentioned the tint again.
Old 10/10/12, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
Because 35% is 35% darker than 70%. He could probably get by with something darker than 70% but be aware that Mustangs come with factory tint of somewhere around 5%-10% (95/90) now (though I cannot get a confirmation of % from anywhere). I bought "legal" tint but still got a ticket b/c the factory tint combined to reduce the visible light below 35% (and the dbag of a cop I dealt with didnt tell me the % it was under). I didnt want any hassles which is why I asked for legal, but now I have to pay to have the old tint to be removed, for new tint to be installed and for the ticket. Not fun. I might get out of the ticket, but I still have to take off work to fight it and I have no proof that I asked for "legal" tint and not 35% so that cost will be on me. IMO stay as close to legal as possible if you dont want to be hassled. 70% sure is lame though.
My bad. I learned something. I thought it was the percentage of darkness, not the percentage of light that passes through. Thanks for setting me straight.

I've also read on the posted links that there's a limit as to how much you can tint the front windshield (from top to center). There are alpha marks (AV I think on the Mustang). While most sensible folks don't tint the front windshield, I have seen folks that do.

Last edited by Bucko; 10/11/12 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10/10/12, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe factory glass is 89% so keep that in mind when you factor in your legal percentage, if you really care about being legal.
Old 10/10/12, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by IguanaKeepr

Hi David, thanks for the feedback, I am very glad to hear you are happy with the Crystalline product, especially being a repeat customer. Your car looks really great, but I think I would be less concerned about a run in with the law if went a little lighter, now I just need to find some pictures of the Crystalline 50 for comparison. The guy I am leaning towards could only show me a Porsche he did with the Crystalline 60, it looks a bit on the light side.

Do you mind telling how much it cost? I have had 3 quotes and they range from $275 to over $500.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 10/10/12, 07:04 PM
GT Member

The quote I got, and am going to go with here in SE Michigan, is for $229, plus $50 for "premium" tint (I know they use the good stuff, but varies to what is the best stuff going at the time). Another $35 adds "assurance", they'll remove and replace it once to cover you for a "fix-it ticket", should you get one.

I'm nearly settled on going with 35% on the sides, undecided on the back window. At 20%, can people see into the car? I KNOW they can at 35%.
Old 10/10/12, 07:28 PM

Mine is tinted with Llumar Charcoal ATR 35%. (metalized film)

Also when looking down into the interior because of the black interior, the windows look darker than they are. When you look level through the windows, it's not as dark. I wish I would have picked 40%, because it's a little darker than I wanted. But still looks nice.

Crappy cell phone pic in parking lot of tint place.

Old 10/10/12, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BadHabit2Break
your local tint shop should be able to tell you the legal tint you are allowed to have.

I ran limo on my back 3 windows and 30% on the 2 doors. I like to stay legal here in Texas.
I have the same
Old 10/11/12, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I live in NY where stock is what is legal on the sides. Although I put 20% on the back, 20% on the strip across the windshield and 35% on the sides.. I have never been hassled.. knock wood.
Old 10/11/12, 09:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Andrew41
Do you mind telling how much it cost? I have had 3 quotes and they range from $275 to over $500.
Shoot for the middle. I've had three Mustangs tinted and mine have always been right around $350. Here is a 15% off coupon that may work for you. Good luck!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Banner15OffCar

Last edited by IguanaKeepr; 10/11/12 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10/12/12, 07:16 AM

how much??? guys you are paying WAY too much im sorry the guy ive taking all of my cars too charged me 50 for two windows on my jeep since mustang is three with back windshield i wouldnt pay more then 100. He is great between me my brother and my dad weve brought about 7 cars there never once had a problem
Old 10/12/12, 09:15 AM

I paid $190, which I think is more than fair for llumar mid grade tint. Ceramic would have been $100 more.
Old 10/12/12, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GTmustang03
how much??? guys you are paying WAY too much im sorry the guy ive taking all of my cars too charged me 50 for two windows on my jeep since mustang is three with back windshield i wouldnt pay more then 100. He is great between me my brother and my dad weve brought about 7 cars there never once had a problem
Cheap film is cheap film. You must not know that there IS a big difference between ghetto film and quality film. There are 5 windows not including the windshield. If your car is worth **** then put **** film on it, but I'm not putting **** film on my 50k car.
Old 10/12/12, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Cheap film is cheap film. You must not know that there IS a big difference between ghetto film and quality film. There are 5 windows not including the windshield. If your car is worth **** then put **** film on it, but I'm not putting **** film on my 50k car.
cheap film? no its called not getting ripped off. please explain how its 5 windows because if your counting the little triangle ones in the back your just being ****. almost every car has those you dont get charged extra for those
Old 10/12/12, 10:49 AM

dont tell me what i know or dont know. what i know is that ive never had a problem with 7 cars..concidence? no

Quick Reply: Window tint