'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Stillen Splitter - Company

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/13, 07:58 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Stillen Splitter - Company

I posted recently about my incident with having to replace my chin splitter due to unfortunate events leaving my red beauty wounded. Having no splitter left I called Stillen per someone's recommendation here and explained the situation.

I was crystal clear in explaining that I had NO splitter left and NO skid plate, and that the splitter I was contemplating ordering from them would in fact install with no problems without requiring any of the factory ford splitter parts. I was assured multiple times that it would easily work, that it was one piece and didn't require anything for it to go on. He sounded confident.

So I ordered the part and I had only saturday to fix my car.. so I used express shipping which was $150.00 extra to ensure it arrived on time. I get the part and go try to put it on and low and behold it doesn't fit. Turns out the FIRST step's picture in the installation guide (which was not online) states it attaches to the factory front chin splitter. I was pissed. I am still pissed. I called Stillen and spoke with the gentleman that I had been speaking to and he told me he THOUGHT it didn't require it, but after checking it does.. and to just order the ford splitter too so that this one will fit.

If I return it I'm out the shipping both ways, and would still have to figure out what to do.

Long story short - I cut pieces out of the roush splitter to mount this splitter and make it work - I'm very disappointed in Stillen and will never ever ever never buy a part from them ever again. It would've taken him 30 seconds to go find out for sure what was required to install it and save me all this ridiculous hassle.

Don't trust what they say.
Old 7/22/13, 08:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Sorry to hear about that mess, that is very disappointing incorrect information was provided to you. Any email traceability? I try to get that info I. Writing wherever possible I case something goes wrong you can try to recoup losses.

Interested to see some pics of the setup after you reworked it though. I would like to add a splitter soon
Old 7/22/13, 09:25 AM
GT Member

Well what's done is done.. I made it work so I could drive my car and it looks fine now. Still pretty heated that they would just say whatever they could to get a sale when it would've taken no time to check.

Here's a pic i took afterwards at the grocery store:
Old 7/22/13, 09:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What are the rods mounted too?
Old 7/22/13, 09:49 AM
GT Member

drilled into the bumper in a discreet location by the lower grill. It can be installed without them so it doesn't really pull down - it's just additional support.

Last edited by Shhhh; 7/22/13 at 09:50 AM.
Old 7/22/13, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry about your troubles brother.
Old 7/22/13, 09:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shhhh
drilled into the bumper in a discreet location by the lower grill. It can be installed without them so it doesn't really pull down - it's just additional support.
I like them on there, don't know if I want to drill the bumper though. Looks good though, thanks
Old 7/22/13, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Well, I want to apologize for suggesting the Stillen - they're honestly a good company and make good products. I didn't know either way if it required the factory splitter or not, I was just suggesting other splitters to look into for a replacement. That being said, it came out really good?...
Old 7/22/13, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Oh don't get me wrong laserred38, I do appreciate you suggesting and helping. It's not your problem that they answered unknowingly. It did come out good in the end with a little engineering. Took about 3x as a long to get it done, but it's done and I've already received several compliments. I'll see how well it holds up. I hope it lasts forever because it's a pain in the *** to redo this splitter. They are super expensive and overly complicated imo.

I'm sure you can appreciate how frustrating the predicament of having one day to install it, paying $150 just to get it shipped, and seeing it doesn't fit due to a reason that you clearly stated beforehand and were told it'd be fine.. only to be told on the phone "Oh... I THOUGHT it would work, but I just checked and it doesn't.. so just order a ford splitter now too."

Last edited by Shhhh; 7/22/13 at 11:59 AM.
Old 7/22/13, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Yeah it does look good in the picture. At least you got it back on...
Old 7/22/13, 12:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to say, your mod to the Roush upper chin splitter made this install unique! I'm betting folks are going to ask you for a write up on the cuts you made to make this work. Very clean look!

I want to add this type of splitter to my GT front end; just have not racked up the bucks for the Ford upper and lower pieces to do it yet.
Old 7/22/13, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Shhhh
Oh don't get me wrong laserred38, I do appreciate you suggesting and helping. It's not your problem that they answered unknowingly. It did come out good in the end with a little engineering. Took about 3x as a long to get it done, but it's done and I've already received several compliments. I'll see how well it holds up. I hope it lasts forever because it's a pain in the *** to redo this splitter. They are super expensive and overly complicated imo.

I'm sure you can appreciate how frustrating the predicament of having one day to install it, paying $150 just to get it shipped, and seeing it doesn't fit due to a reason that you clearly stated beforehand and were told it'd be fine.. only to be told on the phone "Oh... I THOUGHT it would work, but I just checked and it doesn't.. so just order a ford splitter now too."
I hear ya. I would've been pissed too! Maybe he was new. Good job with the engineering work, as it looks like it was intended to be there!
Old 7/22/13, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
You couldn't drive your car without a splitter ?
Old 7/23/13, 05:42 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I can see it looks pretty good. Nice job on the rework!
Old 7/23/13, 06:51 AM
GT Member

Was a bit more complicated than that TheReaper.

Thanks all for the positive comments. That weekend was the worst weekend of this year for me not just because of my car, and ironically the very next weekend (last weekend) was the best one of this year... also not because of my car, but it did factor in a little bit! I'm glad it doesn't look bad. I trust if it did you all would be the first to both point it out and state how to rectify it so thanks!
Old 7/23/13, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks really good. Bummer about the problems with the company.

Matthew
Old 7/28/13, 10:30 AM

OP- I am very sorry about your experience with our company. I have talked with the rep that you worked with and we have re-distributed the installation instructions for this part to all of our Customer Service and Sales staff. I have also impressed upon our team that if they have any question about a product, they must talk with someone first.

The Mustang is an unusual application for our splitters in that most of the cars we work with do not have a factory splitter or bumper attachment. They are designed to mount under the factory bumper. With that being said, we should not have shipped this part to you without asking more questions in house first. For that, I do apologize.

STILLEN has been in business since 1985 and our number one goal is to share our passion for all things automotive with our customers. This is a fun hobby/passion for our customers and we want to be a part of what makes it so enjoyable. If any one ever has any questions regarding a product or has any sort of Customer Service related issue they do not feel is being handled appropriately, please feel free to contact me directly.

Again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations with this purchase.

Kyle Millen
kmillen@stillen.com
800-576-2131 ext. 173
Old 7/28/13, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

What a nice response! I hope this helps put the OP at ease a little bit. People make mistakes, and hopefully the company and customer can move forward seeing each other in a better light.

And Kyle has the family name, so we can be rest assured that he means this!
Old 7/28/13, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

good job kyle, nice to see the follow up service.
Old 7/28/13, 02:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I want a chin spoiler so bad on my 11. Sadly, I have to crawl over a 3 inch deep, foot wide rain gutter everyday to get to my garage. No other outlet.

Sigh. Someday.

Quick Reply: Stillen Splitter - Company