The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Exterior Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/)
-   -   Spraying wheel wells to prevent that loud rock/dirt noise?? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/spraying-wheel-wells-prevent-loud-rock-dirt-noise-504879/)

2012GTCS 2/5/12 10:37 AM

Spraying wheel wells to prevent that loud rock/dirt noise??

Have any of you guys sprayed your wheel wells with anything to prevent that horrific noise of rocks, dirt, and sand hitting underneath the car when going over a little dirt at low speeds???

I know it's probably nothing bad but to me it just sounds brutal and I think the rocks are actually hitting the side of the car that's how loud it is.

11SHELBYGT500 2/5/12 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Have any of you guys sprayed your wheel wells with anything to prevent that horrific noise of rocks, dirt, and sand hitting underneath the car when going over a little dirt at low speeds???

I know it's probably nothing bad but to me it just sounds brutal and I think the rocks are actually hitting the side of the car that's how loud it is.

I heard this for the first time a couple days ago while driving around some street construction. I drove over this little pile of rock that couldn't be avoided real slow and it still sounded like I was being pelted by a thousand rocks. WFT!!!!!

2012GTCS 2/5/12 01:47 PM

It's even like a little bit of sand and dirt, especially with sticky tires.

I think someone said there's a coating you can spray but I don't want it to have an odd ugly look. Anyone ever done something?

Hytek 2/5/12 02:07 PM

Rhinolining lol.

MJN 2/5/12 02:17 PM

That undercoating in a can will help supress the sound some if you spray that in there.

m4a1mustang 2/5/12 02:32 PM

Some of the 370Z guys have done this for the rear fender liners with success.

2012GTCS 2/5/12 03:19 PM

Anyone done it on our cars? Afraid of ugliness lol

m4a1mustang 2/5/12 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS (Post 6244260)
Anyone done it on our cars? Afraid of ugliness lol

As long as it's black and you only spray the fender liners no one will be the wiser.

Glenn 2/5/12 06:07 PM

take the liners out and apply sound deadner to the inside of the fenders. Its a little more work than just spraying but I think you will be happier with the results

Glenn 2/5/12 06:10 PM

https://themustangsource.com/f692/so...nstall-495360/

2012GTCS 2/5/12 06:14 PM

No one else feels a need to do this?

Thanks for the link, I assume it goes inside the car, Glenn?

AzPete 2/5/12 06:31 PM

With the products used in the wheel well areas, is there any concern about water/moisture being held there?

MJN 2/5/12 06:44 PM

Mine are sprayed but I like the thread Glenn has shared, I been thinking of doing the trunk area atleast with Dynamat but now I like this other material.

JP Ford 2/5/12 06:46 PM

Hey Guys use the rubberized undercoating in a spray can. Use a name brand and wipe down all the area to be sprayed with wax and grease remover then wipe it dry. If needed use a gray 3M scuff pad to lightly scuff and then wipe down. Use two light coats.

Glenn 2/5/12 06:54 PM

as Hoff 95 stated or did in the link I posted, I would remove the wheel wells/slash guards and spray the side, the part you cannot see, the inside. Also do the sound deadner on the inside of the fenders. I have yet to do mine but that is my plan sometime this winter.

ford4v429 2/5/12 07:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I dont like undercoat much, after years it dries, rusts underneath...roll-on bedliner from what Ive seen seems to hold tight forever.

these cars I predict will suffer one extremely tough to repair rust thru issue long term if ever in the salt- the little flap where the inner rocker meets wheelhouse/floorpans was not sealed right on many of these cars, Ive mentioned it before, my old thread from 06 was lost when the forum got nuked...heres pics of my then 3 week old car- as you can see in the 'dirty' pic the angle the undercoat wand was held at when sprayed at the factory resulted in the 'flap' shadowing the undercoat from sealing the inside joint- you cant see this, only got the pic by holding the camera against the wheelwell- note theres already a few grains of road crap imbedded in the open seam to the floorpan, and the open hole at the top. we have 06,07 and 09 mustangs(all vista blue) and 3 of the 6 flaps were not sealed like this.
I cleaned it out, used 3m 'fast and firm' seam sealer over the hole at the top, and the backside seam, then used roll-on bedliner over that.

road noise was reduced, but still there- but its noticably quieter than the wifes 07. thought about putting rubberized undercoat over the bedliner to get some more 'cushion', but do think some dynamat or similar inside over the wheelhouses would probably work better...maybe someday.

edit added a pic of the front unibody too, I used almost 2 gallons of rollon bedliner- AFTER injecting paint into any vertical-down pinchwelds, and taped it up once it seeped thru. only holes open are lowermost drain holes- its a u-boat underneath...the wife wasnt too impressed when she saw the new car in pieces though :) I took tons of pics on the 06 while apart, several concern areas, mostly a lot of missed sealer spots around the rear shock mount on one side, opposite side of trunk floor, and theres a little scoop-like hole in the upper frame right behind the headlights that will blow roadgrime inside the unibody structure...and the foam diverters in front of the doors were full of water, pressing wet foam against the outer fender...lots of little things.

2012GTCS 2/5/12 09:42 PM

That just boggled my mind....lol

I'm probably going to leave it be

bones302 2/10/12 03:52 PM

just hit the inside fender wheels with rubberized undercoating next time you pop the rear wheels off. will definitely be a lot quieter and reduce that nasty gravel noise. I went a step further and sprayed the whole inside of the trunk and applied sound deadener in there as well. HUGE difference.

2012GTCS 2/10/12 07:49 PM

Which deadened did you get?

bones302 2/13/12 06:28 PM

some cheap fleabay special.