Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Some likely stupid questions about wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/12, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some likely stupid questions about wheels/tires

I like the stock wheels I got with my 2012 Premium V6...but i don't love them. I think what i want is some satin silver or chrome Bullitt-style rims.

My car came with some AWESOME Pirelli's that I want to mount on the new rims. I know my wheels are 18", but how deep should I go (that's what she said!). The tires are P 235/50 ZR 18s. Do any of those specs tell me how wide a rim to get? Is there a range of rim widths that tire will work on? I've seen Mustangs that have wider rims on the back than on the front. What's the point of this and should I go that route?

Sorry, I'm a complete and total noob when it comes to performance cars. My last car was a Cr-V so I just threw the cheapest tire Costco had on it.
Old 7/8/12, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Those should be 18x8's you have on there now and with a 235 tire I wouldn't go wider than an 8.5 wheel. If you want a wider wheel them you need to consider some new tires. Many aftermarket suppliers only go up from 8 inch wide wheels
Old 7/8/12, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

What manufacturers should I be considering and which should I avoid?
Old 7/8/12, 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Here are the stock wheels I currently have. They look a little too BMW-esque to me.

Old 7/9/12, 04:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by IndustryLeech
I like the stock wheels I got with my 2012 Premium V6...but i don't love them. I think what i want is some satin silver or chrome Bullitt-style rims.

My car came with some AWESOME Pirelli's that I want to mount on the new rims. I know my wheels are 18", but how deep should I go (that's what she said!). The tires are P 235/50 ZR 18s. Do any of those specs tell me how wide a rim to get? Is there a range of rim widths that tire will work on? I've seen Mustangs that have wider rims on the back than on the front. What's the point of this and should I go that route?

Sorry, I'm a complete and total noob when it comes to performance cars. My last car was a Cr-V so I just threw the cheapest tire Costco had on it.
American Muscle makes nice wheels, and they're inexpensive. I put a set of 18x9's on my V6. I needed to change out the tires because I have a base car that came with 17-inch wheels. All told, it cost me about $1500 for the complete swap. That's about the cheapest you can go.

What tire/wheel combination you use is pretty much determined by the purpose of the car. If it's a daily driver, I would recommend against staggered setups (bigger wheels/tires on the back) because you have to completely abandon the ability to rotate the tires. If it's a weekend-only car, staggered setups make more sense.

Also, as a daily driver your choice of tires is much broader because then you can look for tires that have decent mileage ratings (and slightly lower prices). The higher the advertised mileage, the lower performance you can expect. I would look for tires with a mileage rating of at least 45k miles.

The larger your wheels are, the more expensive your tires will be, so keep that in mind as well.

Since my car is a daily driver, I decided to go with the balanced approach, and I think the result is acceptable:

BTW, after getting wheels/tires, your next desire will be to lower the car.
Old 7/9/12, 06:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Can't really say there is a brand to avoid, just go with what you like as far as looks. As said above, AM is a good place to look as is latemodelrestoration.com
Old 7/9/12, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bullit wheels are Extremely overdone in the muscle car world.
Old 7/9/12, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
Those should be 18x8's you have on there now and with a 235 tire I wouldn't go wider than an 8.5 wheel. If you want a wider wheel them you need to consider some new tires. Many aftermarket suppliers only go up from 8 inch wide wheels
Thanks for the great info!

Originally Posted by jsimmons
American Muscle makes nice wheels, and they're inexpensive. I put a set of 18x9's on my V6. I needed to change out the tires because I have a base car that came with 17-inch wheels. All told, it cost me about $1500 for the complete swap. That's about the cheapest you can go.

What tire/wheel combination you use is pretty much determined by the purpose of the car. If it's a daily driver, I would recommend against staggered setups (bigger wheels/tires on the back) because you have to completely abandon the ability to rotate the tires. If it's a weekend-only car, staggered setups make more sense.

Also, as a daily driver your choice of tires is much broader because then you can look for tires that have decent mileage ratings (and slightly lower prices). The higher the advertised mileage, the lower performance you can expect. I would look for tires with a mileage rating of at least 45k miles.

The larger your wheels are, the more expensive your tires will be, so keep that in mind as well.

Since my car is a daily driver, I decided to go with the balanced approach, and I think the result is acceptable:

BTW, after getting wheels/tires, your next desire will be to lower the car.
Thanks a ton man! I love this place. I've learned so much from you folks already! BTW, sick-looking ride!

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
Can't really say there is a brand to avoid, just go with what you like as far as looks. As said above, AM is a good place to look as is latemodelrestoration.com
I love AM, and I'll check out latemodelrestoration too. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Thamac15
Bullit wheels are Extremely overdone in the muscle car world.
Yep, I know. I think they looks killer though.
Old 7/9/12, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

If you're wanting the bullit 5 spoke look, I'd recommend the Foose Nitrous wheels. The have them in 18" as well as 20". I have the 20" and LOVE them!!!

Obviously they aren't the same everyday look that everyone else has.
Attached Thumbnails Some likely stupid questions about wheels/tires-image-1395728299.jpg   Some likely stupid questions about wheels/tires-image-3510485696.jpg  
Old 7/10/12, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by youngstang90
If you're wanting the bullit 5 spoke look, I'd recommend the Foose Nitrous wheels. The have them in 18" as well as 20". I have the 20" and LOVE them!!!

I'll keep those in mind. Nice car BTW!
Old 7/10/12, 09:47 AM
Cobra Member

Thank you.

They are a sharp looking wheel, that NEVER get old.
Old 7/10/12, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea just keep in mind that no matter how over played something may be, you own the car and you drive the car so do what you like best!
Old 7/18/12, 11:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by youngstang90

I'd buy these if they would fit Brembo.