Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Smoked Tails

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/11, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoked Tails

I love the look of smoke tail lights. I have seen a lot of members post pictures of their cars with really nice smoked tail lights. I was wondering, what method did you use to smoke out your tail lights? Purchase smoked tail set? Tint? Light covers? If possible, please post pics alongside your method.
Old 6/4/11, 07:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to reading this answer! While my 95 was @ body shop, I sent my tails to a guy to tint with the VHT stuff. Can't really do that on my 11. I was going to buy the tint pieces from StangMods. I ran it by that guy & he says good to do.

Got my 5.0 mag today. Saw Cervinis has a deal that costs about $70. You must pay like $550 for a core charge. Yeah right!!
Old 6/4/11, 09:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Had mine professionally painted... For me the vinyl is just a dull finish... I can actually wax my lights as it's a clear coat of paint with a tinge of black to give this appearance. Had my front ambers, rear panel, 3d brake and tail lights done for $300. Good luck in the search.

Before:

Old 6/4/11, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine are just covers...i don't remember where i got them from
Old 6/4/11, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
1. Illegal
2. Unsafe & dangerous

All of the above
Old 6/4/11, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
^^^^^^^^^^
1. Illegal
2. Unsafe & dangerous

All of the above
Where?

Here's what the FL law states: An object, material, or covering that alters the taillamp's visibility from 1,000 feet may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a taillamp. 1000feet = .189miles

I positive that you can clearly see that my brakes/lights are on from 1000ft...and if it's illegal then so are light replacement's because the alter visibility at 1000ft
Old 6/4/11, 10:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
May be illegal? It's not unsafe I know for sure. The VHT Nite Shades Justin used on mine is made for this. The lights shine through just as good as w/o it. Keep putting off asking the Chief in town in case it's illegal. I want to do every light/lens on my car.
Old 6/5/11, 12:05 AM
Banned

Anything that darkens the tail lights is clearly unsafe for anyone behind you and you. Period
Old 6/5/11, 12:10 AM

AM taillight tint

Old 6/5/11, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anything that darkens the tail lights is clearly unsafe for anyone behind you and you. Period
I'm not personally a fan of tinting the tail lights but I don't know how it's clearly unsafe. These tail lights are bright as all get out and some of these tint jobs look like it would just bring the lights down to "normal" levels. I have no way or proving or quantifying this but then neither do you. Ending a sentence with "Period." doesn't make it true.
Old 6/5/11, 09:53 AM
Banned

If a factory tail light that has not been altered is a 100% visible and you cover that with something, it's no longer 100% A person traveling behind you is dependent on your visible brake lights when you are braking. It's unsafe because you're making it more difficult for anyone behind you to see your brake lights. This isn't rocket science...and let me add this, if you alter your tail lights and get rear ended, YOU should be held liable for the accident.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 6/5/11 at 09:56 AM.
Old 6/5/11, 10:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If a factory tail light that has not been altered is a 100% visible and you cover that with something, it's no longer 100% A person traveling behind you is dependent on your visible brake lights when you are braking. It's unsafe because you're making it more difficult for anyone behind you to see your brake lights. This isn't rocket science...and let me add this, if you alter your tail lights and get rear ended, YOU should be held liable for the accident.
False. There's a legal requirement and distance for taillights to be visible. This is for the various brightnesses of taillights from different manufacturers. As long as your car meets the requirements for pitch black visibility AND bright sunlight visibility, it is legal and is NOT unsafe.

When people go 5% tint on their tails, and you can barely see them in the daylight, that's understandably unsafe. But a light tint to lesson the in your face red is fine, especially with our tails being LED, they are so much brighter than incandescent tails.
Old 6/5/11, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LEwis26

False. There's a legal requirement and distance for taillights to be visible. This is for the various brightnesses of taillights from different manufacturers. As long as your car meets the requirements for pitch black visibility AND bright sunlight visibility, it is legal and is NOT unsafe.

When people go 5% tint on their tails, and you can barely see them in the daylight, that's understandably unsafe. But a light tint to lesson the in your face red is fine, especially with our tails being LED, they are so much brighter than incandescent tails.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
no
Old 6/5/11, 10:59 AM
Cobra Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
no
^^^^^^
yes.

We get that you don't like it. But plenty of us here do. I highly doubt everything you do to your car, or in your car while driving, is fully legal and safe.
Old 6/5/11, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

So if you alter anything on your car then it would be the same deal. You could get pulled over for faulty equipment since it's not original...or maybe have your warranty discontinued for the same reason.

In other words stop trying to make something a big deal that's not necessarily a big deal. If you run into someone that doesn't have their foot on the brakes then yes they should be held liable, but it's gonna be your word against theirs and your likely to loose because you ran into them.

I like my tinted lights, if you don't it's kool because you don't pay for it!
Old 6/5/11, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LEwis26

^^^^^^
yes.

We get that you don't like it. But plenty of us here do. I highly doubt everything you do to your car, or in your car while driving, is fully legal and safe.
No, I never said I didn't like it, but if you think it's safe. You must be a young.
Old 6/5/11, 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

No, I never said I didn't like it, but if you think it's safe. You must be a young.
My age has nothing to do with it. I know the laws and what is safe, and you assuming since I'm in my 20's means I don't know what I'm talking about shows both ignorance and stupidity.

In Illinois, brake lights must be visible from 500ft in ALL weather conditions. It's easily possible to get a nice looking taillight tint, while still surpassing that requirement by a far margin, especially with how bright our LED tails are.

Do many people tint them far too dark? Yes. Do I think this is unsafe? Yes.

But there's a line everywhere, and if that line is not crossed, it is completely and utterly safe.

Stop preaching like you never drive unsafe, or don't have any mods considered "unsafe." Everyone does what they like, and it doesn't matter how "unsafe" the mod is considered if it meets the legal requirements.
Old 6/5/11, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Onelildude

So if you alter anything on your car then it would be the same deal. You could get pulled over for faulty equipment since it's not original...or maybe have your warranty discontinued for the same reason.

In other words stop trying to make something a big deal that's not necessarily a big deal. If you run into someone that doesn't have their foot on the brakes then yes they should be held liable, but it's gonna be your word against theirs and your likely to loose because you ran into them.

I like my tinted lights, if you don't it's kool because you don't pay for it!
No, but we're talking about a part of the vehicle that its sole purpose on the vehicle is for the other drivers on the road. If you take it upon yourself to put others in danger by altering safety equipment, than you should be held liable. Word against theirs works up to the point where they point out that your tail lights have been altered with photos. Let's hope you guys don't get anyone killed.
Old 6/5/11, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

^
Old 6/5/11, 11:48 AM
GT Member

No, but we're talking about a part of the vehicle that its sole purpose on the vehicle is for the other drivers on the road. If you take it upon yourself to put others in danger by altering safety equipment, than you should be held liable. Word against theirs works up to the point where they point out that your tail lights have been altered with photos. Let's hope you guys don't get anyone killed.
Your constant "I know I'm right so stfu" responses and attitude are really starting to bug me. With all due respect you seriously need to calm the h-e-double hockey sticks down. We understand what you think there's no need to keep restating the danger factor when we clearly know what we risk.

Quick Reply: Smoked Tails