The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   '10-14 Exterior Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/)
-   -   rtr decklid panel (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/rtr-decklid-panel-524790/)

Stage_3 12/21/13 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by CVH (Post 6733442)
I am contemplating on putting the horse emblem on.

No,.......no emblem Chris. It looks great as is.

Jay@Hypermotive 12/21/13 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 6728810)
I just ordered the RTR panel.

Ordered it from Stage 3 Motorsports, used coupon code S3M005 that I found using Google, ended up getting it for $194.74 with free shipping :)

LOL, Gabe I just text you. You should know we take care of our repeat customers!! You have spent quite a bit with us!! Good deal regardless:) Have a good holiday my friend!

Gabe 12/21/13 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive (Post 6733514)
LOL, Gabe I just text you. You should know we take care of our repeat customers!! You have spent quite a bit with us!! Good deal regardless:) Have a good holiday my friend!

Thanks Jay, wish I knew that you guys sold this piece, I definitely would've ordered it through you ...

As far as my progress, it's out of the box, that's all.
Today I spent all day out with the GF shopping.

I probably won't really get to paint it till the end of next week, after X-Mas ...

JJZ109 12/25/13 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went with single-stage matte black paint on mine. It's my way of coping with the OEM license plate surround.

laserred38 12/25/13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by JJZ109 (Post 6735047)
I went with single-stage matte black paint on mine. It's my way of coping with the OEM license plate surround.

You should spray matte clear over your taillights and 3rd brake light to tie in the matte look!

JJZ109 12/25/13 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 6735087)
You should spray matte clear over your taillights and 3rd brake light to tie in the matte look!

It would look great and I have been thinking about it but wondering about longevity. Anyone have experience with matte finished tail lamps?

Gabe 12/29/13 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got the primer on, 2 coats so far, wet when I took this pic:

Attachment 195514

chadr0 12/29/13 11:42 PM

All these shots look killer. I definitely want one now as well!

For those of you who've installed it so far - how hard is the cutting? Any special saws/bits/techniques you recommend?

Also, I think this would awesome if you left it gloss black and put a matte black 5.0 emblem somewhere on it. Maybe in the middle kind of like the running pony on the back of the new 2015. Although the clean look of no emblems looks waaaay better than the faux gas cap.

Keep the pics coming!

Gabe 12/30/13 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by chadr0 (Post 6736387)

For those of you who've installed it so far - how hard is the cutting? Any special saws/bits/techniques you recommend?

Also, I think this would awesome if you left it gloss black and put a matte black 5.0 emblem somewhere on it. Maybe in the middle kind of like the running pony on the back of the new 2015. Although the clean look of no emblems looks waaaay better than the faux gas cap.

Keep the pics coming!

For me leaving it glossy black wasn't an option.
The panel arrived with some scuffing on the black so I would've had to either send for a replacement, Plasti-Dip it, or paint it.

And paint won.

The first coat of paint is now laid on, gonna lay down a second soon.
Probably gonna do 3-4, depending on how much paint I have.

CiniZter 12/30/13 08:20 AM

^ r u planing on puting in any logos/sc stickers on it... would look nice

Gabe 12/30/13 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by CiniZter (Post 6736464)
^ r u planing on puting in any logos/sc stickers on it... would look nice

Yes. A friend owns a sign/decal shop and I'm gonna ask him to make me some stickers in flat black

CiniZter 12/30/13 08:47 AM

sweeeet

Krohn 1/2/14 03:33 PM

Oh Man I really want to do this... maybe this and '13 tail lights...

CiniZter 1/2/14 03:47 PM

^been seeing lot of them around car shows in houston lately...i m also badly wanting it..but drilliing scares me...

laserred38 1/2/14 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by CiniZter (Post 6738169)
^been seeing lot of them around car shows in houston lately...i m also badly wanting it..but drilliing scares me...

Holesaws are so easy to use though!

mikeyt03 1/2/14 05:46 PM

It was tough for me. A 5 inch hole saw doesn't leave room for error. I ended up having to bend one side of the hole because it didn't cut all of the hole off. I kept lubricating the hole saw with silicone spray. Otherwise it wouldn't cut at all.

Gabe 1/2/14 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by mikeyt03 (Post 6738237)
It was tough for me. A 5 inch hole saw doesn't leave room for error. I ended up having to bend one side of the hole because it didn't cut all of the hole off. I kept lubricating the hole saw with silicone spray. Otherwise it wouldn't cut at all.

Like my gf just said, a little lube makes everything work better :D

joey8 1/2/14 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chadr0 (Post 6736387)

Keep the pics coming!

Attachment 150856

Like this? Idk if you can make it out but I have the matte 5.0 emblem in the bottom right corner. As far as cutting I just used a dremel with a metal cutting bit. Time consuming but wasn't difficult at all.

Gabe 1/2/14 07:04 PM

What's involved in removing the stock panel?

mikeyt03 1/2/14 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 6738282)
What's involved in removing the stock panel?

Two screws and tabs. You just yank on a corner and the tabs will release.