Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Roush Bumper install and fog delete (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/11, 03:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush Bumper install and fog delete (pic heavy)

Hey Everyone, just wanted to share since I was planning on putting this bumper on and fog delete. This is a step by step on what I did, so i hope you all like it. This is my first Write up so please be kind if you see me mess something up

Mad Props goes to member RobDis aka Robert for the links and help in making this all happen

ok here is a pic of my kona blue stang stock.

First start off by putting down some protection, like a old heavy blanket or in my case the foam sheets the Roush bumper came in. this way you wont scratch anything and if it does fall it will have a buffer between this and the ground.

Next remove the push pins from the plastic panel that covers the radiator. there should be eight total. to remove just use a flat head screw driver and pop the middle button part first then you can take out the rest.

Remove the plastic cover and put aside

Next with a 8mm socket remove the 2 left and right screws that are right next to the center grill.

You can then carefully lift and pry the post towards you, this will allow you to get your hand behind the fog lights and disconnect them from the harness.

you can then go toward the bottom of the bumper and if you got a forked plastic removal tool, use that to careful pry the temp sensor out of the bumper and let it hang loose for now. If you dont have one you can use a flat head but be very careful not to scratch or damage this thing.

once that is free, you have the choice to either jack up your car if its a little low or if you can get under the bumper and still have room to work, its all up to you. but i had to lift my ride so i can have enough room to work. Please use a Jackstand if you do this, safety always first fellas!
ok well get under the bumper, there are going to be about 9 screws you need to remove, using a 5.5mm socket ( or #7 if you have craftsman tools)
this is including the screws in the wheel well. Im pointing to the semi-hidden screws positions.

After you removed all of the screws you can pry the splash shield from the car.

after this you should be able to see the side marker lamps and their connections. disconnect them.

Now back up top to the center grill. there are about 10 tabs that hold this grill to the bumper. I have to say these are beasts to get out. but i finally figured it out. start at one corner, if you pull back the post you should be able to see the first 2 tabs. using either a pry tool or carefully with a screwdriver, pry the top tab away from you. if you notice the tabs are like half arrow heads designed to "catch" on to the bumper. So if you can push those out, the rest of the grill will release with a slight pull. you then should just end up with the other post corner hanging on and you just do the same there.

Now put that aside for now, this is where if you have help it makes it waay easier. I did not so you can now see my pain :P jk, i actually put a stool with towel over it to hold up the bumper once i released it from the car. pick a corner and what your going to do is wrap you fingers around the edge and pull the bumper toward you. it should break loose from the retainers.

Now you can remove the stock bumper and put it on something soft so it wont scratch. You can then remove the side markers with deep 10mm socket.
and place them on the new Roush bumper.

I decided to go with the grill delete but also wanted to keep my fogs lights so with the roush fogs being the same bulb as the stock ones ( H10) I am just going to extend my stock wires down to the new fog light positions. So the next set of pics are me doing just that.

finding the fog wire and opening it up from the protective sleeve.

Using a soldering Iron, wire strippers heat shrink, electric tape and extra wire, I cut the fog connector off then measure out some wire. I did this a little long just incase, i rather have more than less. Just wanted to make sure the wire had enough line to make it to the fog and not be pulling or anything like that.

Soldering the wires. I know this is pretty **** here but i rather take the time to do it right now, then later have it get messed up and me have to pull apart everything again. I put a heat shrink tube before i solder them so when it was done i put heat shrink on, then re-enforced with electric tape. Oh if you do solder, make sure to have something like the tin foil basket i have in the pics handy. this will prevent any missed solder from falling on your car or yourself.

Finished Product. I zip tied the 2 lines as well so they wouldnt be all over the place underneath.

Now you can install your fogs into the bumper and tighten the 4 screws on the sides of it. remember to get the orientation right when you put them in. the plugs should be pointing down.

Now with the grill delete, I still needed to use the cowl that was the outer part of the center grill. So i had to remove the inner grill that held unto the old fog lights. start by removing the screws that hold the fogs in

Then just like the bumper there are several tabs holding unto the cowl.
Be very careful with these, i have to admit i broke a few just trying to get it out. The best way is to start with the middle circles first and pry those out then work on the tabs.

finally got it out...WHEW!

Now with this grill from Stack racing, it requires you to drill your cowl so you can put on the mounting hardware on. test fit the grill then mark it and then drill the holes necessary.

Once that is complete you can put on your New Roush bumper by going in reverse from the removal of it. then feed your new fog wires down and away from any moving parts to the fog lights connect them and since your down there, connect the side marker lights as well. With the temp sensor you will see it is attached with a grey plastic screw. pry that off and place the sensor into that same hole instead. Since the roush bumper doesnt have a place to put it, you can place it here so it can still read temps.

This would be a good time to test to make sure your fogs are now working with your stock switch.
once everything looks good,

Re-attach the splash guard with the bottom screws and the wheel well screws. then put down some towels to protect the top from the install of your new center grill.

then put in the center grill starting at one corner again and pushing it into the post. once you hear it click, do the same to the other side. once that is complete, you can install the post screws, then the plastic cover and then the push pins.

step back and pat your self on the back your done!

took off flash so you can see the lights

Ill get more pics of it in the sun.

thanks and please let me know if this helps or not.

Adding these pics of it in the sun below;

Last edited by JiveFive0; 6/15/11 at 04:16 PM.
Old 6/11/11, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no intention of doing this mod but I just want to thank you and congratulate you for an excellent write-up. Great job man!
Old 6/11/11, 07:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Well done! The bumper and lights look great. Super clean.
Old 6/11/11, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent writeup! You didn't miss a thing! Now I gotta get me that GRILL!
Old 6/11/11, 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

Jed awesome man!! Amazing job. Can't wait to see the finished item in person.
Old 6/11/11, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Very nice write up. Looking good
Old 6/11/11, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Thanks guys for all the positive feedback, I am glad it came out the way it did.

Robert, thanks again man, Like i said i couldn't have done this without ya bro!

and Josh, heck yeah man cant wait till we meet up.
Old 6/14/11, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

now you just need to get the lower splitter
Old 6/15/11, 02:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stang8psi
now you just need to get the lower splitter
LOL i know, that is the last piece to this puzzle

just saving up for it, was on the fence on whether or not i should just make one on my own, but currently the census is that it would probaly break on something due to poor quality of the material.

Unless i went the way of carbon fiber and fashioning it into a splitter but that is a whole process on its own.
Old 6/18/11, 11:34 AM
GT Member

How did you secure any slack from the fog light wiring? Does it kind of "dangle" behind the bumper?
Old 6/18/11, 08:53 PM
GT Member

Great write up and pics. You didnt miss anything that I can remember from doing mine a few weeks back. I did however buy the fog light wiring extensions from Roush so I wouldnt have to do any soldering. This will be very helpful to those who decide to do this mod in the future.
Old 6/18/11, 11:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Liquid
How did you secure any slack from the fog light wiring? Does it kind of "dangle" behind the bumper?
Hey Liquid,
the slack wasn't huge so when i was back there, i just folded it unto its self and zipped tied it again. So it wasn't near the ground or could swing into anything else. and i also noticed that the splash guard would help protect it as well.

Originally Posted by Killa-B
Great write up and pics. You didnt miss anything that I can remember from doing mine a few weeks back. I did however buy the fog light wiring extensions from Roush so I wouldnt have to do any soldering. This will be very helpful to those who decide to do this mod in the future.
Thanks Killa-B, appreciate the feedback and im glad i could help anyone else who might wanna try their hand at it. have got nothing but great comments on the bumper when i am out and about.
Old 6/19/11, 06:02 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did this back in '09 on my 2010 GT Premium in Grabber Blue. It was a very rewarding mod as it is a huge visual change for the car. Also did it myself which was very rewarding as well. It's an easy mod actually so others contemplating should not be intimidated!! Even us backyard mechanic types can do this

Last edited by MyStang2010GB; 6/19/11 at 06:03 AM.
Old 6/20/11, 01:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I did this back in '09 on my 2010 GT Premium in Grabber Blue. It was a very rewarding mod as it is a huge visual change for the car. Also did it myself which was very rewarding as well. It's an easy mod actually so others contemplating should not be intimidated!! Even us backyard mechanic types can do this

Gazooks David that looks SOOO clean on your grabber blue!

beautiful man, just beautiful

Yes i totally agree, if you take your time and just pay attention to everything your doing, you will have this bumper up and running in no time!

Man, you make me want those lower grilles. those look so clean! but not sure if they would show up on my color though. yours has great contrast so when you glance at it, its right there
Old 6/20/11, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

awesome write up thanks for posting it!!!

If I may ask where did you get the bumper/lights from? (Who did you order it from)
Old 6/20/11, 06:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JiveFive0
Gazooks David that looks SOOO clean on your grabber blue!

beautiful man, just beautiful

Yes i totally agree, if you take your time and just pay attention to everything your doing, you will have this bumper up and running in no time!

Man, you make me want those lower grilles. those look so clean! but not sure if they would show up on my color though. yours has great contrast so when you glance at it, its right there
I agree with you, the Kona being so dark would probably not really show the lower grille inserts. Yours looks great as well!!
Old 6/20/11, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to be doing this very soon myself. Also a little hint that one of the support people from Roush gave me if you're using their grills was to spray some black paint on the radiator and inside a bit so that the metallic parts inside wouldn't show through the grill.
Old 6/20/11, 10:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by starbai
awesome write up thanks for posting it!!!

If I may ask where did you get the bumper/lights from? (Who did you order it from)
Hey starbai, all credit goes to my homie RobDis, aka Robert, here is his post about it.

https://themustangsource.com/f802/an...fascia-496370/

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I agree with you, the Kona being so dark would probably not really show the lower grille inserts. Yours looks great as well!!
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by db2797
I'm going to be doing this very soon myself. Also a little hint that one of the support people from Roush gave me if you're using their grills was to spray some black paint on the radiator and inside a bit so that the metallic parts inside wouldn't show through the grill.
you know I wanted to, but was afraid of messing something up like the heatsoak ability of the fins or something. but if he said it was ok, i guess I can then. Yeah you can only see it if you look straight ahead at it, but my car being lowered its hard to tell.
but thanks for the tip bro!
Old 6/21/11, 12:44 AM

Looks sick! Can't wait to see it Thursday!

Wilkinda, your '10 GB will always have a special place in my heart. Still sucks that you had to get rid of it due to your personal situation
Old 6/21/11, 01:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
Looks sick! Can't wait to see it Thursday!

Wilkinda, your '10 GB will always have a special place in my heart. Still sucks that you had to get rid of it due to your personal situation
Thanks Jimmy!
Yeah I wanna do some shots of the car that isn't in my home garage
totally looking forward to it bro!

Quick Reply: Roush Bumper install and fog delete (pic heavy)