Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Painted my decklid and installed the GT500 Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/11, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painted my decklid and installed the GT500 Spoiler

Nothing amazingly original here or anything. But this week I decided to do something wild and crazy. I decided to paint my decklid between the tail lights. The more I looked at cars that had the flat black painted decklid the more I like it instead of the CDC blackout panel. I also bought a Pony Tri-Bar decklid emblem to match the one on the front. Yes, its the same emblem on V6, but im not concerned about my car looking like a V6. The body shop was too busy to get me in so my impatience got the best of me. So I went to Autozone (OH NO NOT AUTOZONE!), yes Autozone. I purchased some Duplicolor Adhesion promoter, and some Duplicolor Trim Paint (Flat Black). I went with the trim paint because I used some Duplicolor flat black body paint previously on my grill surround and it didn't hold up but the trim paint held up very well on my rocker panels so thats why I went with it.

First I taped off the area. Then I took some 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Started wet sanding. I sanded the area just to remove the clear coat and smooth out the paint a little. Once I was done I cleaned the sanded area with a little denatured alcohol. Then I coverd the whole rear of the car with some old newspaper and paint tape. Once that was all done I sprayed the adhesion promoter on. 2 light coats. The adhesion promoter called for the paint to be applied within 10 minutes so after about 2 minutes I sprayed the first coat of paint. I know I know, I must be nuts for doing this myself with some rattle can instead of getting a shop to do it! But look at the pictures! It turned out awesome. I let it cure overnight, and put the decklid emblem on the next morning. The car is a little dirty in the pics but I took them with my phone on my way to work. I think it turned out awesome!

Oh yeah and I installed the GT500 spoiler painted matte black as well. Opinions please!
Attached Thumbnails Painted my decklid and installed the GT500 Spoiler-2011-10-05_04-52-33_851.jpg   Painted my decklid and installed the GT500 Spoiler-p1030734.jpg   Painted my decklid and installed the GT500 Spoiler-2011-10-05_04-52-41_326.jpg   Painted my decklid and installed the GT500 Spoiler-2011-10-05_04-52-26_963.jpg  
Old 10/8/11, 09:09 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets get some better pics of the spoiler, maybe a shot from the top or the side? I think it came out pretty **** good for doing it yourself!
Old 10/8/11, 10:10 AM
V6 Member

It looks really good from the pics u posted
Old 10/8/11, 01:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

That's great and you have the pride of having done it yourself.
Old 10/8/11, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice! I also went with the pony emblem in place of my GT one...

Name:  image-3414887564.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  image-4007177142.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  22.3 KB
Old 10/9/11, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
Nice! I also went with the pony emblem in place of my GT one...
Yeah, I looked at the decklid panel from Ford with the Tri-Bar Pony but decided on just the emblem instead. Looks better than the GT emblem either way really IMO.

Thanks for the compliments as well guys. She is due for a good wash, wax, and picture session this week when Im home anyways!
Old 10/16/11, 12:23 PM

The GT500 spoiler use the same holes as the stock GT spoiler right?
Old 10/16/11, 01:24 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Looks great! I really want to do mine too, but I'll probably have it done in vinyl in case I get tired of the look.
Old 10/25/11, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks **** good! Wish I had the patience to paint
Old 10/25/11, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
Looks great! I really want to do mine too, but I'll probably have it done in vinyl in case I get tired of the look.
Yeah thats not a bad idea either. I had some bad experience with decals that I put on the hood and polish on the edges. Plus I love the look of the blacked out decklid so much I doubt I will get tired of it. Thanks for the compliments!

"Looks **** good! Wish I had the patience to paint " Roelito

Thanks man. It really wasnt that bad. The devil was in the preparation. Taping everything off took the most time. The Sanding and painting was quick! Sometimes you jut gotta stick it out there and not be afraid to get it cut off! LOL
Old 10/25/11, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
The GT500 spoiler use the same holes as the stock GT spoiler right?
I didnt even see this post Jimmy. Sorry I didnt answer you though Im sure I answered you in another thread.
Old 10/25/11, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Thinkin bout paintin my decklid flat black and puttin a matte clearcoat on her. What do yall think?
Attached Images  
Old 10/25/11, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Pinoy361
Thinkin bout paintin my decklid flat black and puttin a matte clearcoat on her. What do yall think?
Flat black anything on a white car looks awesome! Id say go for it!
Old 10/25/11, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RobDis

Flat black anything on a white car looks awesome! Id say go for it!
How much you thonk a quality job would go for? Cuz i want the clearcoat on there as well so i can maybe get some kind of wax on there to protect it
Old 10/25/11, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

How much you thonk a quality job would go for? Cuz i want the clearcoat on there as well so i can maybe get some kind of wax on there to protect it
Well it all depends on the shop. If its a small town shop you may be able to get the paint and materials yourself and then have them do the work. But if its a larger shop then they will probably want to use their own stuff but the upside is you will get a warranty that they will stand by. If you buy the paint they will only warranty the labor and any problems will likely get blamed on inferior product. I would say to expect around a $200 to $300 depending on the size of the operation. It shouldnt be more than a 3 to 4 hour job including prep. But they will have the car all day because of the curing time. Im just estimating, the best thing to do is run your car by a shop and ask. I would take it to them rather than call so you can show them what you want done. Sometimes describing it over the phone doesnt give them an accurate picture of what you want. Its a relatively small job and small area to paint so its very easy to do. The lines are already there, you just have to tape it off and do it.
Old 10/25/11, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

What would you say about takin it to a dealer? No way in hell am i gonna do that unless its a last resort but just askin
Old 10/25/11, 10:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

What would you say about takin it to a dealer? No way in hell am i gonna do that unless its a last resort but just askin
Im not sure. I normally wouldnt even try to take it to the dealer for paint or body work. They tend to be overpriced on most stuff. So the pricing would be an issue. Also custom stuff like this would probably be even more expensive if they would even do it. Most likely due to the custom nature and potential of the customer to be not happy if it doesnt turn out like they hope. But, I could be wrong. I would say very last resort. You may even have a hard time getting some body shops to do it as well. These types of jobs are usually too small for them to spend the time on, or they basically have higher paying jobs lined up waiting and don't want to or can't bother with it. Even though its a small job your car will be taking up space in the paint booth and therefore will be keeping another car waiting. Its a "bigger fish to fry" mentality. But a hungry shop, or a small shop just getting started would be primed for a job like this and would jump all over it. The pricing would be better due to simple economics and the lower overhead a smaller shop would have.
Old 10/26/11, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Yea, the collision center i went to after i got in a wreck has a pretty good paint booth. I can see what they have and what kind of price i could expect.

Thanks for the quick response btw!
Old 10/26/11, 08:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great!! Nice job.
Old 10/26/11, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yea, the collision center i went to after i got in a wreck has a pretty good paint booth. I can see what they have and what kind of price i could expect.

Thanks for the quick response btw!
Your very welcome! Happy I will can assist.

Quick Reply: Painted my decklid and installed the GT500 Spoiler