Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

New Rear Mods....

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/12, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Rear Mods....

Ok so I just took this beautiful day to do some exterior mods to the rear of my 2012 gt.

Gloss Black OEM lip spoiler
Smoked Taillight Covers
Gloss Black Deck Lid Cover
Attached Images      
Old 10/7/12, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry for all the double pics, my app was telling me they weren't loading.

Anyways I wanted to get some opinions as well as whether or not I should paint the bottom valences all around white; or leave them as they are?

I do plan to get the 3rd brake light tint as well as all the side markers too.
Old 10/7/12, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think if you paint the lower valences, it may make the car look too bloated.
Old 10/8/12, 12:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not a fan of the lights all tinted but the rest looks nice especially if you add a gloss black roof or other gloss accents up front.

I think my next mod is going to be painting the valance and the skirts white. I hate the plastic look...here's a photoshop I did of mine

Name:  valancepaint1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  179.1 KB
Old 10/8/12, 12:17 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Both o y'all's asses look good to me
Old 10/8/12, 12:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Studly_Studright
I'm not a fan of the lights all tinted but the rest looks nice especially if you add a gloss black roof or other gloss accents up front.

I think my next mod is going to be painting the valance and the skirts white. I hate the plastic look...here's a photoshop I did of mine

How did you get the Backup Lights red
Old 10/8/12, 12:27 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Kript2night
How did you get the Backup Lights red
I bet VHT
Old 10/8/12, 12:29 AM
Bullitt Member

i would like to know ??? do they Make VHT in red?? i'm new to the VHT scence excuse me from the dum questions
Old 10/8/12, 12:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

sorry man not trying to thread jack haha I used red nightshade. I liked the look and it passed inspection
Old 10/8/12, 05:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't care for the black taillights. My local police don't care for them either.
Old 10/8/12, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I like to think of posts as group discussion that tend to vear off at times but all the info is good and related.

The taillight covers were always a concern for me since the beginning but after getting them cheap of a local I said what the hell. I have had them for about 5 months now and have never been stopped for them. I have been stopped for speeding and they never once told me anything about the covers and it was in daylight by both local and state troopers.

So I just recently ordered the covers for the front headlights and foglights....let's see if I don't get in trouble this time lol. I talked to a guy who had his headlight covers on for over a year and said he never had any trouble with cops, so I m going for it.

Well I was thinking of doing the lower valences white but leaving the bottom center of the rear gloss black, like in ur pic. I m also doing a gloss black roof in the near future, along with gloss black hood spears (which I already ordered) with 302 lettering. Another thought I had of doing was painting the side valences white and adding a gloss black roush side splitters. Also adding a cs/boss front valence with splitter, but painting the lower cs/boss valence white (with exception of the fog light and center inserts) and painting the splitter gloss black. May be hard to picture but it sits perfect in my head lol.
Old 10/8/12, 08:18 AM
GTR Member

All the different glosses got me mixed up! But with that *** end looking the way it does I'm sure everything else will flow well!! Just like the ***.
Old 10/8/12, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Lol yea....Its just that if I decide to paint the lower valences to match the car then I want to add gloss back accents to match the rest of the accents I have or will do. Because if not, then I should have just done everything in flat black.

This is what I was thinking for the front end, but adding the boss splitter (not the laguna seca one) and painting it gloss black. Of course with the blackout headlights and fog light cover, the gloss black hood spears, and debating on with or without the hood scoop.

Name:  2012-09-23 19.08.24.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  20.5 KB
Old 10/8/12, 09:15 AM
GTR Member

I definitely want to see what you end up doing regardless of what it is
Old 10/8/12, 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

This is what I don't get....headlight and taillight covers for the "cool effect" over function. First, it places you in danger of getting rear ended because your brake lights cannot be seen by someone driving behind you. Now you're looking at covering the fronts. That puts you in a position that you will not have full light output to see at night. Again, a dangerous situation.

I'm more concerned by not seeing brakelights should you be in front of me and have to make a sudden stop. Being further away (one car length for every 10 MPH) from your back makes it even worse. This puts me or anyone else in danger sharing the road with you.

But I guess that's cool.

Last edited by Bucko; 10/8/12 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10/8/12, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I made sure before even putting on my rear covers that the visability at night and during the day wasn't affected by the covers, that was braking, turn signal, and just plain on. I will also do the same with my headlight covers and if I see that my visability suffers, even just a bit, then I will get hids or brighter bulbs. I think I speak for every mustang owner, when I say, don't we all add things, do things, invent things, etc. to give our mustangs individuality and that "cool factor." Of course, not at the expense of putting other motorist in danger, which is what I ensured and will continue to make sure of.
Old 10/8/12, 11:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by gruiz_06
Sorry for all the double pics, my app was telling me they weren't loading.

Anyways I wanted to get some opinions as well as whether or not I should paint the bottom valences all around white; or leave them as they are?

I do plan to get the 3rd brake light tint as well as all the side markers too.
It really looks better leaving the lower valance black. Blacking out the decklid and taillamps helps get rid of the bulk. I do not like blacked out taillamps for myself but I used black taillamp surround trim to pull together the full-width black look.

Last edited by watchdevil; 10/8/12 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10/8/12, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Your plans sound exactly like mine haha I want the valances white with black splitters for the front and sides. I decided to go with matte black everything instead of gloss since there was already so much matte black on the car. If everything doesn't match I will go crazy..
Old 10/8/12, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Leave the lower valence black. Remove the tailight covers. I like the black lip spoiler. IMO of course.
Old 10/8/12, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I think I m going to do all the accents I want first, then decide on wether to paint the lower valence or not.

If I m going to put the hood spears, should I still get the hood scoop?

Quick Reply: New Rear Mods....